1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

How do I make a circular map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Ninamori, May 10, 2015.

1. Ninamori

Ninamori L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Basically I am trying to make a map that is essentially a giant circle, but hopefully it'll be more interesting than just that.

Anyway the best I've managed is to make a octagon. Any way to do this within hammer? I mean with just the octagon I could give the illusion of a circle, but the real thing would be preferred.

2. Lain

aa Lain heath ledger with some dreads

Positive Ratings:
    do this [​IMG] make the brush as big as the map and bam.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ninamori

Positive Ratings:
    That was easier than I thought it'd be.

4. MrHatlf

MrHatlf engineer main, majoring in exploiting

Positive Ratings:
    This would only make it so that the base "circular." Making a circular map is still difficult, making it all fit in the circular base.

5. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    a) clip and vertexedit

b) see koth roundhouse

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Géza!

Géza! L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also, cheat with the actual circle like a bastard to make it fit on the grid. No one will notice if the circular patterns are imperfect by a few degrees or Hammer units.

7. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    Adding to what everyone else said, the arch tool is better than the cylinder tool in a lot of situations.

8. Ninamori

Positive Ratings:
    Well I ended up making a circle using Lain's method, and that worked. I extended it upwards, and then used the make hollow tool to make the space inside empty. How do I separate the walls so that I can texture those separately? I'm posting here so I don't spam this board too much.

9. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    Select "Solids" in the menu in the top right.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  10. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    The cylinder tool is great for making solid circles, but if you need it hollowed, then the arch tool is much better for that. When you create the arch outline and hit enter, a menu like this will come up:

[​IMG]

Adjust the properties and hit OK:

[​IMG]

Then you can use Select Solids on the right like Ynders said. Alternately, use Toggle Group Ignore :ig:, Ungroup Selected :ungroup:, or the Texture Application tool :faceedittool:, which are hopefully self-explanatory.

11. Ninamori

Positive Ratings:
    That didn't quite work, but I found out how to select the walls. I thought Hammer just made it into one giant object. Well I grouped the ceiling, and the walls together so I won't have to manually select everything the next time I want to work with it.

EDIT:

killohurtz: I will keep that in mind for next time. This is what I have so far, and it looks pretty good thus far:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2015