How can I find more than one leak in the compile log?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by obodobear, Jan 26, 2017.

1. obodobear

obodobear L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so I do not know if this is possible to do, but if it is then it would help me out significantly. A map I have about finished still has multiple leaks in it that I am aware of, so I am just going around right now fixing them up. However the process has been really painstakingly slow, because I just have to compile the map over and over again fixing the one leak it tells me about. Is there any way I could find leaks quicker, or find more in the compile log? If so please let me know.

2. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    You can't, unfortunately. VBSP will stop once it finds a leak even if there are many leaks. You have to go at them one by one.

Why? Source, that's why.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. obodobear

obodobear L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well... In that case it's going to be a long day.

4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Technically, there's not just one or many leaks. And no way to determine "how many", theoretically (that word is meant to mean, really no damn way. Not because of limits). It's just that the map has leaked, or not.

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    You can set it to a vbsp only compile, which is conveniently one of the fastest steps. You don't have to do vvis or vrad at all to find leaks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Even better, add -leaktest to the expert compile options and it will stop compiling once it's hit a leak.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Eight years, and I'm just now learning that parameter exists. Is there any way to alter the default compile settings so that's always there?

8. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    You have to add it to the expert compile options for VBSP (or if you have a batch file). However, from what I understand, it only runs just enough of VBSP to generate a leak from most sources, meaning a file created when using -leaktest probably isn't fully compiled. Therefore -leaktest should only be used when, well, testing for leaks.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Well, obviously. It's more of a "not having to remember to do a VBSP-only compile every single time before a full one" thing. If the process visibly aborts in the first few seconds, I'm not gonna think I got a finished map out of it.