Hardwood

CP Hardwood rc4

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
This update brings:
*Changed blu's route into C on the right, now penetrates further, allows red to set up a sentry on the path there for better coverage of the main routes. The old route also meant that no one ever used the other routes as they had no benefits
*Raised red's ground on B so they can properly defend + removed blu's cover
*Moved ammo on B to more visible places
*Moved tree in A->B connector to better emphasise the side flank for blu
*Changed red highground on A, strengthens the previously little-used inner route. May need to also move the outer route closer to A so sentries have more strength
*Updated some clipping
*Probably more I've forgotten

Screenshots as of A30:
cp_hardwood_a300003.png
cp_hardwood_a300002.png
cp_hardwood_a300004.png
cp_hardwood_a300000.png
cp_hardwood_a300001.png

Read the rest of this update entry...

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
This small update brings:
*Made last even thinner
*Added more ammo for defenders on last
*Fixed some minor clipping issues
*Added boards on glass at B so it's more obviously glass
*Fixed a missing respawnroom
*Maybe one or two other things I'm forgetting? Sort of at a loss of what to do atm though in terms of improving the layout
*Cleared up some dead space around last

I'd post some screenshots of the minor changes if I had the motivation

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Back after a month or so!
This update brings:
*Basic 3D skybox on the blu spawn/B point vista
*Merged the pre-C rooms into one, made the geometry *slightly* less awkward
*Made it so that red has a harder time pushing into the room that blu holds from - now the staircase on the left side of C (blu approach) is a dropdown, and is on slightly lower ground than the large ledge that blu has. Red's only entrance to this area is the large, fairly exposed main entrance to C now, and a proper blu sentry spot on the ledge should easily counter it.
*Misc changes to geometry around C + textured the tops of beams so it's clear you can't shoot through (thanks Bikkie)
*Clipped some small ledges
*Made moneyface platform taller so it looks less like you can jump onto it
*Fixed clipping in pre-C area to stop perching
*Added a room for defenders by C, replacing the awkward and useless barrel mess that was there before
*Made C's room a little thinner to aid red defence
*Stopped red team from using the A spectator cam after the point is capped
*Made blu's first spawn's gates cooler

*Perhaps some miscellaneous changes I'm forgetting.

Thank you to everyone who's tested A30a, as well as all the other versions!

Screenshots:
cp_hardwood_a310000.png
cp_hardwood_a310005.png
cp_hardwood_a310002.png
cp_hardwood_a310006.png
cp_hardwood_a310003.png
cp_hardwood_a310004.png

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
This update brings:
*Added more cover for red on last, on defensive spots
*Made the dropdown route penetrate further into C (now under the point)
*Reworked weird staircase in pre-C area
*Fixed clipping in C (doorway, perch spot) (ty racoons and hubert cumberdale)
*Partially divided the large area into 2 (pre-C) and made it slightly shorter
*Moved skybox rocks up so they appear larger
*Moved health outside of blu's 2nd forward at B (and made smaller)
*Signed red's B->A route a bit better, changed lighting, shifted some geo so it's clearer where to go
*Finally moved the setupgate in blu's first spawn to the outermost doorway (sorry I didn't do this earlier)
*Fixed duplicate health and ammo packs in opening area, at pre-C room, and in the B-A connector
*Added a detail blocker for a rock near B
*Made the ramp leading to the blu B overlook thinner

*Might make the flow between B and A better eventually, once I decide how to get around to it without big changes (ty maid)

Thanks to everyone who's tested it so far
upload_2020-4-7_23-7-23.png

Last edited:

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
This update brings:
*Added a staircase up from the right-side dropdown on C (blu view) for a more direct way to the point
*Slightly shrunk cover on C for the full ammo pack platform
*Added a 1 way door to the left dropdown exit
*Made 1 way glass 2 way
*Fixed a railing going through a wall
*Made more clear that an indoor platform couldn't be reached (pre C)
*Redid geometry on right of red's last spawn to make it clearer there's an exit there, + moved spawnpoints to a more central spot
*Clipped railing in first blu spawn
*Clipped a lip on the lower B flank
*Fixed tree clipping not extending high enough up
*Increased delay on door locking for red's 1st spawn on A cap (thanks bikkie), should align to spawntimes now
*Fixed a resupply locker shadow
*Clipped a small step-up

Thanks to everyone who's tested and given feedback

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
It's been nearly 2 months since the last update, wow

*Remade C entrances + geo in the C room
*Added a skybox wall across the structures around A to stop the whole map rendering at once, hopefully this helps with performance a little
*Added a few more trees
*Fixed weird clipping/rendering issues
*Probably other things I've forgotten, I've not touched this in a while because I just lost motivation whenever I opened the VMF. After finishing misc fixes on the feedback page I couldn't bring myself to make new C geo

ty to toopliss for telling me to go finally update this map, that helped me get the motivation to design the new areas and push this update out

Screenshots:
cp_hardwood_a340000.png
cp_hardwood_a340003.png
cp_hardwood_a340001.png
cp_hardwood_a340002.png
cp_hardwood_a340004.png

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
*Changed some clipping across the map

*Lowered the amount of ammo on the A lowground to help against sentries there - they had two mediums very close together to survive off of

*Made the left balcony on C wider
*Gave more space to the right attacking route
*Added railings on the right route exit so defenders can't storm it and hold it easily
*Made the left sentry spot weaker by reducing the space and amount of cover available

*Probably some other changes I'm forgetting

Designing blu entrances to areas is such a pain...I wish there was some sort of design philosophy I could keep in mind while making them so that I could design interesting combat spaces that teams can flow through and fight in properly, without massive disadvantages

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
People seem to really enjoy the map, I'm quite happy with it too. This update is mostly small tweaks, could probably pass for an a35a tbh.

*Widened lower doorway in pre-C lobby (right one) and right C->B doorway

*Brightened up some areas around B and C

*Clipped some walls/lips around B

*moved the tree in front of the A forward + added a sign, hopefully players are lead past A more? I might move the spawndoor a little if this isn't enough

I'll fix up any graphical issues like skybox issues/badly lit trims/non-skybox sequoia tops in beta

Gravidea

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2017
As a nerd who often uses bots to play on maps that I think are cool, do you think in the next update for this map you could use a playerclip to cover these wooden fence so that these silly bots stop thinking they can walk through it? It'd make testing the map with bots that much more fun! Keep up the good work, this map is cool!
upload_2020-6-16_1-6-48.png

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
There is already a blockbullets over that fence, not sure why the nav would have issues

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
This minor update brings:
*Increased blu respawnwavetime by 2 seconds for C
*Removed the pillar on C
*Reduced red respawnwavetime by 1 second

Working on hardwood_b1 currently, just want to put these small changes out to reflect how it'll be in the beta and see if they affect blu rolling last so often. I may have to change up respawnwavetimes a little more later on, if this doesn't help enough.
Geo in the lobby area of C will also change slightly, I hope it doesn't affect things too much

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
*Removed 2nd lower door, moved door further back (now it's flush with the inner edge of the balcony) - the lower C door is now less exposed and snipers have to go slightly more into last to get a sightline
upload_2020-6-24_15-44-47.png

*Changed geo of balcony area - the left route is now flush with it to allow for easier rotation back onto the balcony, the roof over that area has been lowered, the large column has been made flush with the central staircase up
*Widened the left route, removed moneyfaces, added a large pipe structure to draw the eye w/ colour contrast
upload_2020-6-24_15-44-25.png

*Made red's forward smaller and raised the base of it to facilitate the new stair changes - the geo of them is now less jank
*Moved the right route entrance further back, added a light to highlight it to attackers like the sniper window on B
*Moved the staircase to upper area on the right route to the side - now you're able to get to it faster as a blu player
*Moved in the walls of the lower right route more to focus players better
*Pushed the exit dropdown back slightly so the route doesn't penetrate as far and a blu player must commit a bit more to hit sentries on the left platform
upload_2020-6-24_15-44-12.png

upload_2020-6-24_15-45-9.png
upload_2020-6-24_15-45-15.png

*Added a cubby at last for spies, and a crate on the right (defender's view) platform + deepened it, again to provide a better spy decloak position
*Replaced barrels in left (defender view) structure with audunite crates to prepare for beta theming + to slightly alter geometry. Thanks to emil for creating the texture
*Turned cover onto last into glass so blu has a better idea of what they're pushing into
*Widened the left forward cover (defender view) to hopefully encourage players to use it more, the dropdown is also not as effective anymore so hopefully red can control the doorway a little more
*Lengthened the cover on the right (defender) balcony so sentries and dispensers can fit behind more easily
*Changed geo of the staircases out of spawn a little to make the way back to spawn ever so slightly faster
upload_2020-6-24_15-45-34.png
upload_2020-6-24_15-45-42.png
upload_2020-6-24_15-45-49.png

*Misc changes across the map such as fixing clipping on a ramp

Huge thanks to prestige, smig, and I dinne ken for suggestions on what to change at last. I may fix things up a little more in the next few versions, depending on how this plays.

Custom audunite textures by emil

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Amazing to see this map being artpassed! I practically forgot about it until I saw the notification. Keep up the amazing work!

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Going to make a tiny feedback post because I'm loving this so much. Some of these are just my opinion, so feel free to take them worth a grain of salt! Images of what I'm talking about are spoilered.

This fence near Blue's first spawn looks like it can be jumped over to first timers. I foresee a lot of people attempting to jump over it as I did, which is funnier since you can kind of stand on it. Perhaps you could as an arrow billboard or something else to make it easier to tell you aren't supposed to jump over?

1648395194693.jpeg

These stairs near Blue's Forward Spawn near B are a little too bumpy. Seem to be missing a clip like other stairs.

1648395648775.jpeg

This cool looking machine piece at C seems to be missing clipping, as you can probably tell by my Scout phasing through it.

1648395745476.jpeg

These fences near A are nice, but it would be cool if it was easier to tell that you can't fire through the gaps between them. Perhaps you could put a metal fence textures instead of the invisible texture you used here to fill in the gaps?

1648395921217.jpeg

As well, there are some places around the map where looking over buildings up ahead will cause props to pop in and out weirdly, such as the tree or the satellite dish on top of the last spawn. Other than that, the map's looking wonderful so far! Sorry if some of these were things you already knew of. As I said in my last post, keep up the good stuff!

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Going to make a tiny feedback post because I'm loving this so much. Some of these are just my opinion, so feel free to take them worth a grain of salt! Images of what I'm talking about are spoilered.
<snip>
Thanks, I missed some of these while going through the map earlier. I'll put out a quick update fixing some of the more important things, and fix the rest for b2.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017