Haarp

CTF Haarp rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

hyperhopper

L1: Registered
Oct 18, 2009
3-1 is the most enjoyable ctf/cp point i have ever played.
however, it is overshadowed by how easy 3-2 is. the spawn times are perfect, but maybe less time for capping 3-1 would help, but mostly, there NEEDS to be at lease 1 great sentry spot , and a place where red can defend from, it is just too easy to breeze right into the final point

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I can't reliably say how balanced I think the map is from the recent 6v6/7v7 we had last night, so instead 3-1 seemed a little under-lit to me. It was cool, but I felt some areas were just too dark in that last part of the map (first time I've seen the third stage btw!)

Also, someone mentioned that there was a model in the last part of the map they could hide in, dunno if you saw it or not so I thought I would remind you. Don't know which one it is though.

Overall was pretty fun, I think the the openness of the third stage felt refreshing after the choke-pointedness of the second stage, even though I didn't get to spend that much time on the third stage!

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
thanks for all the testing! We played this for a good couple hours total today.

Also, Nine did some testing on his computer, and apparently I've got a lot of optimization to do on the skybox.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Take this as you will, since I've only played haarp a handful of times, but last night during spontaneous testing, I felt that stage 3-2 could use about 1 minute more roundtime. Just my gut feeling there.

frothy

L2: Junior Member
Mar 3, 2009
Also, someone mentioned that there was a model in the last part of the map they could hide in, dunno if you saw it or not so I thought I would remind you. Don't know which one it is though.

I think I know where it is: If you're defending the very last point, the spawn room on the left has those tall computer models around the corner; They aren't solid and you can hide in them.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Nice, the frame-rate's *much* better.

There's a bit of a nasty visual bug in front of the building where you cap at 2-1, though. It's still playable, though, but it's just... weird, when you walk into it. You can't see this from the air looking down at this spot, you've gotta be at ground level.

haarp_b2.png

Last edited:

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Nice, the frame-rate's *much* better.

There's a bit of a nasty visual bug in front of the building where you cap at 2-1, though. It's still playable, though, but it's just... weird, when you walk into it. You can't see this from the air looking down at this spot, you've gotta be at ground level.

haarp_b2.png

That's because parts of the skybox get disable and enabled as the game moves from section to section.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Hmm? Are you disabling props and whatnot in the skybox between rounds? I wish I had thought of that for Nightfall. D:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
What I was saying in-game before the map changed, was that I don't think i was actually on the fence - I think I was on the light. It looked to me that I was higher than the fence. That's all I was talking about (the fence on 2-1 by the truck if you forgot)

Ten19

Jun 17, 2009
Took this for a solo spin last night on an empty server and I gotta say it looks and plays fantastic. The monochrome screens that light up as you drop intelligence off are a real nice touch. It's awesome to see how it's progressed from when I first played it in dev textures.

I'll look for smaller things to tweak next play-through.

Ten19

Jun 17, 2009

I saw that the contest entries were uploaded to the servers, so I hopped on one late at night and messed around while it was empty. Clearly I was speaking about aesthetics, because obviously I didn't get in any gameplay.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
So how's the map going for people? According to TF2stats it's getting a lot of play on other servers, so that's good news! Even though I've submitted the contest version though, I can make changes for future versions. Let me know.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I think the only problem left is optimization.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/ctf_haarp_b20000.jpg
I can't tell if I'm on the fence, if I'm on the light, or if I'm on a detail on the wall. but I landed there. I think I'm too low to be on the light, and too far over to the left of the fence, but I can't tell.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/ctf_haarp_test20000.jpg
I think I've told you before, but I really feel like you should be able to run onto the snow there and jump crouch up. I've been a medic and I saw that pile of snow, and what looked to be a jumpable height. While on fire, I ran towards it, tried to jump up, failed, and was burnt to death. Raise it up a bit so we CAN jump onto the platform from there, or lower it a bit to make it more obvious that we cannot.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008

I can't tell if I'm on the fence, if I'm on the light, or if I'm on a detail on the wall. but I landed there. I think I'm too low to be on the light, and too far over to the left of the fence, but I can't tell.

I think I've told you before, but I really feel like you should be able to run onto the snow there and jump crouch up. I've been a medic and I saw that pile of snow, and what looked to be a jumpable height. While on fire, I ran towards it, tried to jump up, failed, and was burnt to death. Raise it up a bit so we CAN jump onto the platform from there, or lower it a bit to make it more obvious that we cannot.

just saying, but I would have never looked at that snow pile and thought I could jump up <_<
and lolz at screenshot showing me winning the round XD

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009

1: I was in that game, you're standing on the fence.

2: I don't think I want people to jump up there. But I can go ahead and lower the height of the snow so it's less inviting.

General_Norris

Nov 16, 2009
Hi! I'm using your map in my clan's server! So long everyone thinks it's a nice map even though most get lost for some reason.

I think my players are the ones getting lost but I'm not sure. Have you had this problem?