Haarp

CTF Haarp rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I love Haarp, it's a awesome map and is progressing nicely. I really like you new take on the Spytech theme. Good Job. :)

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Tonight was fun even though one team got rolled most of the time but made a great comeback in the end.

I heard you saying you might shorter the reaspawns for red right after the first point is capped, i highly recommend you dont do this. Thats part of the game especially in competitive play if the other team doesnt have any defend or looses their whole team then get capped very fast by scouts to the win or the last point. This is something people have to think about, no need to adjust re spawn times for red after every cap. Look at dustbowl and those types of maps if the team has only defense on first the second it gets capped the second point gets spy capped or scout capped instantly. Yet it works perfectly fine if red is smart.

I agree its easy to push, but our whole team tonight was on first and blu took everyone out, that was our bad not the maps.

Overall this map keeps getting better definitely one of my favorites, thanks for a great map keep it up.

heinrich

L1: Registered
Aug 25, 2009
I dig the map especially the last stage where its like your about to fight the final boss in some old fashioned game. I don't know if you read it in game tonight or not, but I was holding the intel for ages without realising it. It didn't show up on the HUD that I had it.

Sgt.Sausage

Dec 5, 2008
I dig the map especially the last stage where its like your about to fight the final boss in some old fashioned game. I don't know if you read it in game tonight or not, but I was holding the intel for ages without realising it. It didn't show up on the HUD that I had it.

I dont think that had anything to with his map, maybe the gamemode but very unlikely.

This happens in normal ctf sometimes just restart tf2 to fix. If its happening all the time then i dont no what to tell you verify game cache, or reinstall but sometimes the hud just messes up.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Played this again last night.

My only gripe with this map is, still, the last point of the last stage. Everything else seems to play out smoothly, but that one point is too easy too camp, too difficult to attack and generally degenerates into a sheer battle of attrition.

The reason is simple: After that first part with the side routes the "finale" is basically one long and wide hallway with two long and wide side corridors where the red team spawns... This makes it incredibly easy to camp by way of "sentries right off the spawn" coupled with "spam down the aisle". Red team then has to break through the initial defense, outright GRIND all the way up to the junction, THEN destroy red's sentries (usually on both sides if red is an half-decent team), conveniently located right in front of their spawns and finally score.

The only times I remember seeing blu win this final stage was either: a) Massively coordinated uber rush with red not putting that much of a fight, and b) When blu is steamrolling anyways.

To me this is the only significant problem with this map right now. Suggestions to fix it? Well, maybe a simple glass "frame" in the middle of the aisle (think you had that at some point) so blu has some room to move up a bit without being pelted by snipers, heavies, soldiers and demos. Red would retain visibility of it's enemies, but blu would gain a little "buffer" area to make that final push.

That's pretty much it, the rest of the map feels pretty solid to me right now.

Aug 10, 2009
Played this again last night.

My only gripe with this map is, still, the last point of the last stage. Everything else seems to play out smoothly, but that one point is too easy too camp, too difficult to attack and generally degenerates into a sheer battle of attrition.

The reason is simple: After that first part with the side routes the "finale" is basically one long and wide hallway with two long and wide side corridors where the red team spawns... This makes it incredibly easy to camp by way of "sentries right off the spawn" coupled with "spam down the aisle". Red team then has to break through the initial defense, outright GRIND all the way up to the junction, THEN destroy red's sentries (usually on both sides if red is an half-decent team), conveniently located right in front of their spawns and finally score.

The only times I remember seeing blu win this final stage was either: a) Massively coordinated uber rush with red not putting that much of a fight, and b) When blu is steamrolling anyways.

To me this is the only significant problem with this map right now. Suggestions to fix it? Well, maybe a simple glass "frame" in the middle of the aisle (think you had that at some point) so blu has some room to move up a bit without being pelted by snipers, heavies, soldiers and demos. Red would retain visibility of it's enemies, but blu would gain a little "buffer" area to make that final push.

Haha in a way I feel the opposite. I think the map is amazing, but I don't like the instacap schematic of it. I like the last cap because it's reminiscent of a good payload game, where a demo uber or two will make or break the victory. Plus, it gives cherrypickers like me plenty of time to kill people in the standoff.

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
i asked admin,and after testings they added your map to regilar rotation on Saburovo #1 server (212.1.226.126:27015)
one of the most popular TF2 servers in Moscow. Players respond is very positive so far

GeneralDisorder

L1: Registered
Sep 24, 2009
A truly epic map, but would you mind sharing the secret behind taking those screenshots?
Are there consolecmd's for removing the hud or did you load the map into Gmod?
The last being a tactic i use sometimes, but then i have to move the map and suffer the endless drudgery of loading Gmod with too many mods :p

Last edited:

frothy

L2: Junior Member
Mar 3, 2009

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
A truly epic map, but would you mind sharing the secret behind taking those screenshots?
Are there consolecmd's for removing the hud or did you load the map into Gmod?
The last being a tactic i use sometimes, but then i have to move the map and suffer the endless drudgery of loading Gmod with too many mods :p

Join spectate
sv_cheats 1
cl_drawhud 0

Never really looked at this map, but it looks effing amazing! Only thing I don't like is all the 'drop down' section areas in the screenys, but I can look past that due to the fact there is a helipad.

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Actually owl it's r_drawviewmodels, IIRC. >:3

Radaka

May 24, 2009
Thoughts from today's gameday:

1. Red had a pretty easy time holding the passageways between 1-1 and 1-2 (1 very powerful sentry spot)

2. 2-1 seems pointless to defend, I would recommend giving red a little battlements or something to hide in behind the main battle area, as well as buffing the medkit and ammopack in the small building next to the point

3. 2-2 Defense had a hard time.

4. 3-1 Seemed to play out very well, no change requests here except for detailing in some of the more barren areas.

5. 3-2 No complaints here, surprisingly enough.