Great big community map vote

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think Valve would respect a voting session like thing for current RC or close to RC maps from this site.

The trouble with letting Steam Forum users vote is that they will vote for gameplay over aesthetics, most of them are too childish to care for much else; and although gameplay is a huge aspect, it should count for only 50% of what a map should offer as.. a map. There needs to be some quality control. As has been mentioned in spite several times, orange maps would probably get the vote if they had the chance.

Hopefully an RC stage only map variable would control most of the entries to such an.. event. I would have full faith in the moderators to be able to compile such an honourable list, and at the end of it, tf2maps could produce a 'map pack' of all the RC entries.

Hopefully it will also promote our site and community and increase traffic. Not that we're doing bad as it is.

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
The poll is closed now and the top 5 maps according to the steam forumites are:

1. Cashworks
2. Glacier
3. Frontier
4. Freight
5. Swiftwater

I lol'd when I saw that frickin' Warpath is tied to the 6th place with Furnace and pl_Waste. This is why we can't have nice things.

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
I'm quite surprised, not at the makeup of the top five, but that the Steam community forum users voted for those maps and knew of them. I think the result reflects very well on this community and I think those top five maps are a good choice. Personally my top three would have been Glacier, Cashworks, Aurora.

I really do hope Valve release a community map pack and as has been suggested in this thread, perhaps this community should be the one to initiate it by choosing amongst ourselves the maps we think merit inclusion and then sending the information and the suggestion across to Valve and the TF blog to get it included.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
*sigh*

The guy made it in his own time. Splash Damage can't prevent him from giving the map to Valve. Look at insta, I think he's working at a studio but, hey, look, Offblast got included in an update!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Kinda pleased to have another of my maps up there in the top..6. I'm much happier with furnace creek than I am any of my revious maps. It's a little dissapointing to not see half-acre there but half-acre isn't really all that fantastic, it took some major turns in development and ended up not being what i wanted it to be at all. Hopefully once I get stark done (it's already in the list XD) That will be quite popular (aiming it at comp play an all...)

But being level with warpath is a slap in the face. it just goes to show how many retards there are.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
lol, cp_mudbath got one vote. :p

I guess one of you on these forums voted for it.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Ugh, voting closed with meridian one point below warpath. I think I'm going to go slit my wrists now.

My relative comment is often "welcome to the human race", In all its flawed glory.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
oh wow, a piddly vote on the steam forums full of idiots that a mere what, 100? people bothered to vote in. Doesn't mean crap. Why is this posted here anyway? (tuts&res)

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
I understand the point of the steam forums... but god... talk about a barren wasteland of idiots and trolls. I'd rather wander through YouTube then the steam forums, at least there I can sometimes find something interesting. I can't even read half the posts because they’re written in "i r intrntz spek lol."

But yea...
oh wow, a piddly vote on the steam forums full of idiots that a mere what, 100? people bothered to vote in. Doesn't mean crap. Why is this posted here anyway? (tuts&res)
Nothing else should be said.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I didn't even know they had anything that could be considered sensibilities.

However, the main point of my statement was the numbers... I'd put more into this so-called popularity poll if more than a hundred or two people said something. There are thousands of users that go to the steam forums, even if you choose to ignore the large amount of people that play and don't go there.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I think what Mangy is going on is the same problem we have with the competitive community (not meaning to purposely drag comp players into the mess, but you'll see my point). Both SPUF and comp players aren't us, but they both make up large, intertwined communities that presenting your map to can offer great opportunities for spreading it, and "appealing to their sensibilities" can result in popularity among those groups.

Of course it's hard to connect to people unlike your own, and it's easy to pass off the steam forums as full of idiots and retards, but those are the people you need to play your map for it to gain popularity and recognition.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
They obviously have tastes and interests (i.e., "sensibilities"), and while I'm not a master of appealing to these sensibilities (seeing as Furnace has had little headway in either the Steam "general populace" or the competitive community), that doesn't discredit their existence.