Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
after a week of testing your map was put on regular rotation on NETORN #1 (89.222.192.200:27027) server. in a week it will also be on a main NETORN #2 server.

this is one of 7 maps i advertised to the admins as best community maps , and its first that was included in rotation. thx for a great map

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
The map got playtested yesterday on my favorite server.

The general responses were positive, everyone said that it's visually very impressive. Also people liked the layout, although some got lost while defending (well, first time on the map).

Still, even though the map was very well received for being pretty and accessible, everyone on the server complained about their game getting jittery at B and C. Some even had problems at A. Right now it looks like that they won't put it into their mapcycle because of this. :(

Buck

L1: Registered
Jun 9, 2009
Really nice map, i could say A needs some wood planks across some cracks so you cant fall into as many cracks. Also clip the roofs so you cant get on everywhere, it causes big inbalances in my opinion. Also most of the map seems to be terribly optimised, i used mat_wireframe to see whats going on and while standing at A my pc draws pretty much full A, and noticed you dont have areaportals on doorways and such. I know its still in progress but my fps drops down to 80-40 from 200 which is pretty poor. Cant wait to see the map when it is more optimized ! good luck mate :)

Jan 31, 2008
I'm really disappointed in Valve right now.
I mailed them a month ago about glacier and again when the rc was released.
They said they'd test it and give feedback but I haven't recieved any yet.
And now they make a snow theme and throw out a small koth map, ignoring glacier.
Worst of all; glacier lost everything unique about it, as these forums will be packed full of snow maps.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
That's a real kick in the balls and I'm completely sympathetic.

Maybe you should follow them up?

Jan 31, 2008
If I say anything to them, I'll just make things worse.
It'd be great if you guys could send Valve a mail about this whole thing, to make them at least notice glacier.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I wouldn't see this as discouraging, but as a motivation.

Glacier is still really unique because it's set in the arctic. Viaduct is pretty nice looking, sure, but it's really just "alpine snow edition", much like how Sawmill was "alpine rain edition". Glacier still has a ton unique about it because it's...a glacier! Now you can use all their materials in place of anything that'd be redundant to keep, like snowy alpine trees, the snow texture, etc. and cut down on your filesize.

I don't think you should give up on this because there's still a lot going for it on its own. I'm sure it's been hard working on your own snow materials and all that, I don't mean to downplay the effort that went into this, but having official materials to add into your own unique ones can only do good to a map, if you ask me.

Last edited:

evanonline

Mar 15, 2009
Dohohoh, hey, look, a shoutout from Valve got thrown in!

Viaduct is also the first Team Fortress map to take place during a snowfall (not counting Acegikmo’s awesome cp_glacier map, or for that matter all the other community mappers who manage to think up and execute on all the cool stuff before we even think of it)

Looks like they're readin'.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Valve's having a nice time with post-release edits. And they gave you a shout-out. Be happy.

I still think their snow texture set pales in comparison to your's. Aurora is one of the most beautiful maps for TF2 in my opinion, and Glacier is a great map as well.

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
The latest post remind me of the opening credits for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Those responsible have been sacked".

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Bloody hell, while I love glacier, there was no need to be all pedantic about the update. You know they meant "first official" ice map and there are loads of people who've never played a snow-themed game.

Then again we got a hilarious blog update for it so hey.

x14u2cx

L1: Registered
Mar 23, 2009
Don't worry about valve making the same theme, yours is much better and more detailed than theirs. I love this map and how it plays but my favorite thing would be the ship beached at B, i cant think of anything that could make it better other than maybe the swamp theme no swimming signs near the water that kills you.

Jan 31, 2008
So here's what I've got so far:

cp_glacier_rc20007.jpg

cp_glacier_rc20009.jpg

Thoughts?

pitto

L3: Member
Feb 17, 2009
I think the changes are making it look better, hopefully this will be in the next official update. I got it played at a lan I went 2 and everyone liked it

evanonline

Mar 15, 2009
I think these changes look pretty nice, actually!

However, as redundant as it may be I think it'd be cool if you kept your more detailed snow. There are some things that you can definitely hold out on and use Valve's materials for instead, but that doesn't mean ALL your hard work should go to waste.