Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I like the new wood texture. I think it still fits the TF2 style

Such a visually rich map anyway, why not?

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
This is noticing from the screenshots: The snow creates a massive visual noise. I think it might distract gameplay with it. I can only hope it does not.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Mmm.

The new wood looks like a bunch of chocolate bars with powdered sugar on them.

Your map is too damn tasty.

Jan 31, 2008
This is noticing from the screenshots: The snow creates a massive visual noise. I think it might distract gameplay with it. I can only hope it does not.

It's only in the screenshot; it isn't in the way at all when you're actually playing the game and the snowflakes are moving and such :)

However, the snowflakes at A lowers my fps by 10, so I might have to reduce the overall amount of snowflakes. I guess we'll see that after I've tested a pre-rc version on a full server.

riuthamus

L1: Registered
Jun 14, 2009
Is the map with snowflakes already going? if so i can set up a test for you tonight on a 32 person server. Let me know.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Like everybody else, I love snowflakes but - damn - that's way too many! :p

Jan 31, 2008
I redesigned the icecave; it's easier to detail the way it looks now.
What do you think? (It's probably a bit dark though; haven't lit it properly after the redesign)

cp_glacier_2f2f_pre_rc0009.jpg

cp_glacier_2f2f_pre_rc0007.jpg

riuthamus

Jun 14, 2009
This is much better. Way more open allowing for people to move about easily without the fear of getting raped by pyro or sentry guns. Again, let me know when we can test this and I can give you full feedback on it. This map is currently on my servers main rotation.

riuthamus

Jun 14, 2009
We just did a playtest of the RC. I have recorded two versions of the demo for you which you can find at the following links. Just a sum op of what was said:

- Too many signs its almost confusing
- C is much better but still has some issues with 3 or more engies being set up.
- Snow did not cause much fps loss and was well recieved
- Graphical additions/brushwork changes were liked
- Concern was that C was still too hard to obtain without two or more simultaneous ubers.

Keep in mind I run a 32 man server, so this may vary depending on a 24 man or a 32 man. Love the map thus far and you can bet its going into our main rotation.

H264 720p HD QUALITY
http://www.bhslaughter.com/video.php?id=c94yaDGlZKfg25QPhEc0

DIVX 720p QUALITY:
http://www.bhslaughter.com/video.php?id=35pG1SKgiYIuYqyJk0Wq

Last edited:

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
Gotchan is shitty but lets face it the map would get more exposure. I think a map development can go farther by being posted on gotfrag then on tf2maps. There are some who really know what they are talking about. You can get some really dumb people but it's worth it for the good comments.

Last edited:

AyesDyef

L2: Junior Member
Jun 12, 2009
Man, Love the map, I don't think I can think up anything bad of it.
So it's now hosted 24/7.

202.157.179.91:27015

For them Aussies out there. 24/7 cp_glacier.

Jan 31, 2008
We just did a playtest of the RC. I have recorded two versions of the demo for you which you can find at the following links. Just a sum op of what was said:
- Too many signs its almost confusing
- C is much better but still has some issues with 3 or more engies being set up.
- Snow did not cause much fps loss and was well recieved
- Graphical additions/brushwork changes were liked
- Concern was that C was still too hard to obtain without two or more simultaneous ubers.
Keep in mind I run a 32 man server, so this may vary depending on a 24 man or a 32 man. Love the map thus far and you can bet its going into our main rotation.
H264 720p HD QUALITY
http://www.bhslaughter.com/video.php?id=c94yaDGlZKfg25QPhEc0
DIVX 720p QUALITY:
http://www.bhslaughter.com/video.php?id=35pG1SKgiYIuYqyJk0Wq

Thanks for the feedback and the video!
I'm not really sure if there are too many signs; some people have even said it needed more signs.
I'm glad you liked the aesthetical additions!
Almost all playtests on glacier has been run on a 32 man server, and has been pretty balanced so far. In the video you linked, blue never seemed to be at the high point at the B exit furthest away from red's spawn. That location is important for blue to maintain control of to get rid of many sentries without using ubers.

I would highly suggest NOT posting on gotfrag

Like Lazy Eskimo said; one of the best ways to spread something is to make as many people as possible aware of its existance. So why not? :)

Man, Love the map, I don't think I can think up anything bad of it.
So it's now hosted 24/7.
202.157.179.91:27015
For them Aussies out there. 24/7 cp_glacier.

That's really great!
(Terrible ping on my end, but it might be because I'm almost on the other side of the world)
Still, I really appreciate your support :)

Guardian

Jul 27, 2009
So far it's a really great map. But I have one minor nitpick.

Alright I don't mind the "instant kill water" on A? (or was it B....) but I do mind falling into that instant kill water in those tiny cracks that are extremely easy to fall into in an intense firefight. If you could put invisible floors there or something I'd call this map perfect.

riuthamus

Jun 14, 2009
Almost all playtests on glacier has been run on a 32 man server, and has been pretty balanced so far. In the video you linked, blue never seemed to be at the high point at the B exit furthest away from red's spawn. That location is important for blue to maintain control of to get rid of many sentries without using ubers.

Agreed, but one way you can help to URGE the players into this region is make it more attractive for blue somehow. As of now I have no ideas but give me some time to look at it and ill give you my best suggestions as to what could be done. Ideally, if us, as mappers can add in areas that are more attractive and lead the player there we can direct the flow of combat and thus, make the map play as it should be played. I know every bodies goal these days is to make as much dynamic content as possible and allow for many options but this tends to distract or even confuse the common player.

So again, my suggestion, personally (even though i had no problem and was not lost) would be to somehow find a way to make that area more attractive to the blue team and thus letting them want to use it as an offensive front.