CP Glacier RC6

Acegkimo

1. ratty

ratty L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the info, glad to hear I'm not the only one. I did search the forums here, can you tell me where this was discussed? I'd love to read up on it.
    The evidence on my server suggests its at least triggered only by glacier, so I'm wondering how its not map related. I can see saying its not a bug in the map, but a bug in the engine, but if an aspect of a map triggers a bug, I'd love to know what is going on so I can just maybe edit an entity to make the bug not surface.

2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    If it somehow is map related, leave it to the mapper/author to fix it, don't go editing peoples maps without permission (and then hosting them).

3. ratty

ratty L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    edit: nevermind

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  4. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's a pretty sour attitude.

The particle bug is due to custom particles on any map. I haven't gotten a reply yet.

5. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Any luck with the performance/visleaf stuff?

6. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    And rc3 is now out. There are no gameplay changes, just a few aesthetical ones.

7. gustav

gustav L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Found two minor graphical glitches. No need to explain, just look at the pictures.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Poking around a bit... most of my performance/optimization [ame="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11048932&postcount=238"]concerns with RC2[/ame] remain. I think dealing with those zone-basement visleaves might speed up VVIS, in turn giving leeway to de-func-detail some of the vision-blocking walls for improved runtime performance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  9. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I finally got to play this map yesterday. Just wanted to say this is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. Top job!

Inspirational!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Everyone should look at the doors in BLU spawn. Good lolz for everyone. ;)

11. Phobos

Phobos L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    RC2 was imho the best looking version of Glacier. It nailed the winter/arctic theming. I don't know, going back to the old snow/mud texture seems to be a step back.

The addition of the water at A is so random. I hope you reconsider it in favor of using the old layout again.

12. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    It's really hard to make everyone happy. I have recieved so many different comments on glacier's theme, that I don't know what to do.
    When I switched from the mud to the fluffy snow, people said it was great, whereas some other people say it looked much better before and that I need to change back to the mud. Now that I have changed it back, people say I should change it again.
    I will probably stick to the muddy texture for two reasons:

1. The Valve snow texture is basiclly a snowy version of the lumberyard grass. Glacier doesn't take place in lumberyard like areas.
    2. Having a muddy snow texture on the ground will help glacier stand out from all other snow maps using Valve's snow textures. (Which is also why I incorporated more ice into A)

13. ChickenLover

ChickenLover L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would be one of those people that likes the muddy snow better. The Valve snow looks kind of odd to me. I think it is the bumpmap they use on it.

I noticed two things while doing a quick run through of the level.

The first is that the bottom side of the glass on A is still missing the frosted overlay. The second is that there is a wood prop on C that could use a info_lighting. It looks really dark.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    RC5 is out now :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. kankle_king

kankle_king L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Show me a better looking map, I DARE YOU! :p Looks great, will play soon and try to add it to one of our pubs.

16. Nightbox

Nightbox L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Final version will be on our public :)

17. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Whilst you might want ace's word on this but I'm pretty sure RC5 is the 'final' version. In the same way that steel_b4 was the final version

;)

ie don't hold your breath

18. tarmo-

tarmo- L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    can you make another version of this map, which would contain:

-30-50% smaller B area..? (that really open sniperfest area?)
    -remove the bridge at B area
    -less direct shooting lines

A+C are fine as they are =)

I would guarantee more playing time in comp scene. At the moment it's near 0 to 1 times in 2 months.

You don't need to change anything of this map in "public" version of the map, just need a second version for comp-scene

19. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, what Youme said:

You might as well get rc5, as I probably won't release a new version for a long time.

20. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    Release candidate 6 is now released!