Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

Axolotl

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2009
I'd still like to know what soundscape you're using on Point C.

I really, really, really, really want to keep playing this map, but whatever's causing the irritating static on my end is keeping me from continuing until I can fix what ails me. :(

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
I ran through today and the only serious issues I had, other than my engine deciding to crash randomly every few minutes, were with the health placement. I think it's seriously borked... to the point where it would be impossible to kill someone with half a brain.

The problem, as I see it, comes largely from the density of the medium health packs at B and A. B especially has FAR too many of them, and most of them either need to be made smalls or should be cut. At A the problem is less severe because the paths between them are a bit trickier, but around the point you could stand to remove maybe one and also thin out the health in the A-C area. It just seems a bit redundant to have so many health packs all around... for instance, the double small health packs REALLY bother me. I'd prefer no health at all there, but a small or medium would suffice.

Anyway that's just my unscientific opinion, otherwise I think your map is absolutely spifferific! ^___^

Jan 31, 2008
Oh yes finally!
This is the third time Valve says we can have custom particles.
If it works you'll see snowfall in the next version!

Jan 31, 2008
Is this snow too much?
I don't want it to be too messy and get in the way.

<Images moved to the next page>

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Looks sweet.
I would say a little too thick though, space it out a bit more as some of the flakes look pretty big :)

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
The new effect looks great, but perhaps maybe there's too much snow? Turn it down just a little :)

Jan 31, 2008
There are a few things I could do:

• Reduce the amount of snowflakes
  • Reduce the snowflake radius
  • Make the snowflakes more transparent

Which ones do you think I should go for?

(I moved the images to this page instead)

cp_glacier_b20002.jpg

cp_glacier_b20003.jpg

cp_glacier_b20005.jpg

cp_glacier_b20004.jpg

Tydax

L1: Registered
Apr 23, 2009
Need...snow...yours...

Sep 12, 2008
Hmm, I like the snow, but not the crystal shape.. I mean, when will you ever see those things falling down in real life? Make them an overlay and swap them on glass or windows, but that doesn't look realistic to me, not even for TF2. Just what I think about it :blushing: Just some randomly shaped white dots would look better I think. Could you try that?

Edit: it might be the images though, I have no idea what it will look like ingame..

Last edited:

tarmo-

L3: Member
Dec 10, 2008
better than the earlier version of snowflakes :p keep up the good work

Jan 31, 2008
Hmm, I like the snow, but not the crystal shape.. I mean, when will you ever see those things falling down in real life? Make them an overlay and swap them on glass or windows, but that doesn't look realistic to me, not even for TF2. Just what I think about it :blushing: Just some randomly shaped white dots would look better I think. Could you try that?

I don't know; I like the way they look now, since it looks more stylistic if they are in this classic snowflake style. I'm not really aiming for a realistic look.
Besides, I do have a few fuzzy blobs mixed in as well :)

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ace I notice that in your newest screens you still haven't reduced the amount of health around B... I hate to repeat something that's simply my opinion, but for emphasis I just want to add that I think your map would flow better with some changes to the amount of health. Either reducing the overall number of spawns, reducing some of the medium healths to smalls, or some combination of the two, would, I believe, really help Glacier to feel more contiguous.

Right now the sheer number of different health spawns has the effect of fracturing each area into little spheres where, if a person hangs out, they can rely on that one pack. Instead, what Valve showed us worked with Gravelpit was to either put a central health location to bring the fight to a point, or to put many small healths to create movement in an area that is otherwise stagnant.

Just my 2 cents!

<3,
FoXy

Jan 31, 2008
I've changed the texture on the wooden building exteriors.
It might look a bit too grainy and not too close to the TF2 style; not sure.

cp_glacier_rc0003.jpg

cp_glacier_rc0004.jpg

Bonus pic with loads of snow!

cp_glacier_rc0006.jpg