Glacier

CP Glacier RC6

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
So here's what I've got so far:

cp_glacier_rc20009.jpg

Thoughts?

I think the wall texture with the big rocks is a bit flat, mabye pop out the stones a bit? I noticed it looked a bit out of place on viaduct as well.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If you want rooftops like viaduct made with models.. don't hesitate to ask me on steam I'd be happy do make some up for you, its a very quick task.

That is, if you're not content with your rooftops as they are.

Guardian

L1: Registered
Jul 27, 2009
Hey I played this a lot in 6v6s and on a public 12 v 12 server.

One issue that I have with the map is that there isn't enough sniper cover on point B. Snipers can basically pick off anything they like because they can see everything. It would nice to have something to hide behind as a medic when you teammates call out a sniper.

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
I believe, per the Steam community forums, that Acegikmo has released Glacier RC2. I cannot wait to try it out.

riuthamus

Jun 14, 2009
Actually i dont think its updated... sadly its RC in the packup.. and the in game version listing says its RC1 as well. Please update the map in the rar... since this doesnt seem to be it

Jan 31, 2008
Actually i dont think its updated... sadly its RC in the packup.. and the in game version listing says its RC1 as well. Please update the map in the rar... since this doesnt seem to be it

Yeah, FPSB isn't really stable these days.
It should be rc2 now though.

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I haven't played this map extensively or with a large group of people (generally around 4v4) but I like the direction this map is heading. The theme is well executed and the layout seems done well enough that neither team is overwhelmed or underwhelmed in combat.

The height variation likewise seems well done - it's there and it matters but it doesn't dominate the combat so much that it's impossible for the team on the lowground to push back.

My biggest (only?) complaint is the insta-kill freezing water at point B, if it's still there. I haven't played this map in a while, so I don't know if it's still in the map or not. I would much prefer some damaging water, but not insta-kill.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I haven't played this map extensively or with a large group of people (generally around 4v4) but I like the direction this map is heading. The theme is well executed and the layout seems done well enough that neither team is overwhelmed or underwhelmed in combat.

The height variation likewise seems well done - it's there and it matters but it doesn't dominate the combat so much that it's impossible for the team on the lowground to push back.

My biggest (only?) complaint is the insta-kill freezing water at point B, if it's still there. I haven't played this map in a while, so I don't know if it's still in the map or not. I would much prefer some damaging water, but not insta-kill.

Seeing as you can't get out anyway, what would be the point of damaging water?

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
Rocket jumping, demo jumping, FaN jumping, double jumping, etc.

Edit: And I guess I kind of assumed there would be some small way out of the water, at least the big pool of water.

Last edited:

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
My fps issues disappeared in RC2, your optimizing of B and C worked (for me at least). :)

Good decision to replace the dirt patches at A with the new snow texture. It gives the map more consistency regarding the freezing temperature.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, FPSB isn't really stable these days.
It should be rc2 now though.

please, do everyone a favour and ditch FPSB I can't even download off there anymore it just gives me corrupted files. Upload you map in multiple places!

ratty

Jul 25, 2009
I just wanted to report a potential bug with this map.
We've had this map in our server's mapcycle for awhile, but since the classless update, a weird thing happens.
During the map, at some point everyone's particle effects glitch out, and it stays that way until the clients restart TF2. It took awhile to isolate it because it would carry over into the next map.
There's a thread on my forums detailing it pretty well. At first they thought it was in badlands since that was the map immediately after glacier in our mapcycle. Many times it does not surface until the map after glacier, but even after switching the mapcycle around, it is 100% consisantly happening on or immediately after glacier. The first report was in goldrush, so ignore the maps people refer to, it was only recently we were able to duplicate it consistently. I had stripped out the snow with stripper-source, but even with me not mucking with it at all, it still happens. So I'm really curious if anyone else has observed this too.

http://forums.nom-nom-nom.us/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2484

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I just wanted to report a potential bug with this map.
We've had this map in our server's mapcycle for awhile, but since the classless update, a weird thing happens.
During the map, at some point everyone's particle effects glitch out, and it stays that way until the clients restart TF2. It took awhile to isolate it because it would carry over into the next map.
There's a thread on my forums detailing it pretty well. At first they thought it was in badlands since that was the map immediately after glacier in our mapcycle. Many times it does not surface until the map after glacier, but even after switching the mapcycle around, it is 100% consisantly happening on or immediately after glacier. The first report was in goldrush, so ignore the maps people refer to, it was only recently we were able to duplicate it consistently. I had stripped out the snow with stripper-source, but even with me not mucking with it at all, it still happens. So I'm really curious if anyone else has observed this too.

http://forums.nom-nom-nom.us/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2484

This is a known bug across many servers since the classless update. There has not yet been established a reason behind it, but it ain't maprelated.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
please, do everyone a favour and ditch FPSB I can't even download off there anymore it just gives me corrupted files. Upload you map in multiple places!

Hrm... TF2maps Bittorrent Tracker? :p

I considered trying to make one, but my host's ToS are somewhat negative about it.