CP Gerbil (Art Pass)

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
I think you'll have to work a lot on your lighting to really pull it off here, having the map as dark as it is and then adding point_spotlights gives you really weird contrasts. Using the godrays indoors is always chancy at best.

The architecture itself looks great, you have some clever solutions to pull the theme off but adding props and lighting needs some more hours. I think you just need some colors somewhere to get rid of all the brick/brown textures everywhere. I'm not sure of how your upstairs areas look but if everything is the same red-brownish colors, finding your way around could even be harder because everything looks too much alike.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
it might just be my monitor and/or the contrast between the images and the bright background colour, but those last set of screenshots look a bit dark.

as for the empty argument, intense areas usually look empty and clutter-free because it doesn't hinder gameplay.

coagulated

L1: Registered
Aug 12, 2010
artpass_gerbil2foreal0007.jpg

Replace the two little planks with one wider plank in the middle. Anyways I love what you did with this area, very creative.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Replace the two little planks with one wider plank in the middle. Anyways I love what you did with this area, very creative.

Ah, yes, definitely. I liked the look of two planks (because it was clever that the middle area was walkable normally) but a single plank would make more sense and look better.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I like the two planks so long as they are decoration and not necessary to get up, though that may confuse players.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Generally you can walk on the area with the planks even when they're not there, but without them it might be confusing. I'll replace them with a single plank though.

Need to think of ideas on how to de-brown the area >_<

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Trying to red-ify the area around cp C. Also started working on the RED spawn room. Still much to do, but it's progress :D

artpass_gerbil2foreal0011.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0012.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0013.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0014.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0015.jpg

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Working on the staircase and the room it leads to near point C. Also started working on the building near point A. I'll probably lighten everything up later on.

artpass_gerbil2foreal0018.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0019.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0020.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0021.jpg

artpass_gerbil2foreal0022.jpg

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
Lights should probably be much brighter, as it feel underlit. This is especially true for indoor areas with wood textures as the base textures are already quite dark. 2nd to last image is the best light outside of the red spawn screenshot, which is borderline overbright.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
RED base suffers a little on the nuetral side of textures. Grey concrete floor, grey concrete breeze block walls, grey concrete ceiling.

Needs more RED stuffs... not to mention i can't help but feel a little cheated out of any spytech!!!

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
In my opinion the red stripes and props make it feel a lot less neutral. Not to mention the fact that this is an attack/defend map. I was trying to aim for the "red is setting up a spytech base inside an old building" look. I'll brighten the map up a bit too.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it :).

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
You can start out by adding low-intensity light entities below your standard spotlights. It helps brighten up the ambience without taking away too much from the high-contrast light you get from spotlights. It also improves both gameplay (since you can see everyone) as well as make your detailing stand out more from the background.

To start out, just add a white light with something like 50 (25-100 range) intensity and add them below your spotlight models, 64-92 units above the floor and see if you like it.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out now :)

Anyway, started working on the 3D skybox and optimization. the optimization is going to need a lot of work since it's kind of terrible right now. The 3D skybox is as simple as one gets, just skycards for now, not much need for anything else IMO.

artpass_gerbil0000.jpg

artpass_gerbil0001.jpg

artpass_gerbil0002.jpg

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I'm almost done with the first fully-detailed pass :D

Now I'm in need of some professional help, I want to make the large boiler on the last point explode when blu caps it. Personally I am not good at animation or making nice models so I might need some help.

EDIT: used func_smokevolume for the steam. looks much better now.

artpass_gerbil0007.jpg

Last edited:

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
Have you considered changing the yellow colored warning pattern on the boiler?

I feel the yellow color perhaps doesn't fit the RED team palette very well, perhaps it could be changed to a yellow more fitting their team?

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
You're right simski, I'll probably change it to the orangey-yellow like on the hazard stripes. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Anyway, working on the explosion. Using the payload one along with a silly exploded version of my boiler model.

3 screenshot slideshow yaaaaaaaaaaay.

artpass_gerbil0008.jpg

artpass_gerbil0010.jpg

artpass_gerbil0009.jpg

I'm still not sure about actually including this since in my opinion it doesn't look like a professional explosion. It's nice to see something explode though :)

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Looks good, but.. isn't there something in the pipe usually? Water, toxic waste, sandvich spread? What happened to that? I'd expect something to flow out.

Or is it just the highly volatile gases RED keeps transporting through their own base? :p