CP Gerbil (Art Pass)

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
I love the explosion, keep it in.

Every finish feels more satisfying when it goes off with a bang :p
You should perhaps add more rubble though, and more steam.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The boiler needs an animation for the explosion. Also, it should launch a ball of steam off when it explodes.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Not only would it look cool, but including Steam in your map may earn you brownie points with Valve.

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
Yeah, I think that the boiler should explode at the end but the current explosion doesn't look right for it, it really depends on what you say is in it but I wouldn't keep the one you have.

Definitely. Less flame, more steam.

Also, you should have some leaky steam pipes throughout the map as a prelude to your boiler.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I can't really make a good animation, so I think I'll go with gib models instead.

Anyone know a good way to make a steam explosion? >_<

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I've decided not to go with an explosion. the old one was ugly and I lack the skill to make a nice animated one.

Anyway, test version time. Last stage before submission. If you want, download this and run around a bit. And if you want, provide feedback.

Stuff I've already noticed:
- Strange seam in brushwork near A (fixed)
- Odd lighting in bits near B and C (also fixed)
- Forgot a phantom light near A (will be fixed)

Anyway, download links and screenshots.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1835520/artpass2/artpass_gerbil.rar

artpass_gerbil0012.jpg

artpass_gerbil0013.jpg

artpass_gerbil0015.jpg

artpass_gerbil0014.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1835520/artpass2/artpass_gerbil0016.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1835520/artpass2/artpass_gerbil0017.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1835520/artpass2/artpass_gerbil0018.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1835520/artpass2/artpass_gerbil0019.jpg

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Gerbil, a steam explosion...find someone who knows particles! I can't make them or understand them for crap.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
Me neither! And I don't know anyone who's pro particles and available at the time D:

But at least the foggy effect over the water looks cool.

Simski

May 17, 2010
How does the current explosion look o.o?
Just so we know if it's better than before, or if the before one was more fitting, or if you should maybe try continuing your search for a good particle thingie.
I'd download and try it, but I can currently only use a laptop over the weekend.

I really like what I see so far, and I'd therefor hope your explosion would do nothing more than improve your chances :)

Last edited:

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
An awesome steam explosion would be... well... awesome, so if you can find someone to do that for you I would definitely do so. If not, oh well.

Everything looks really excellently detailed and I really like the overall look and feel of the outdoor areas, but I have to say that the outdoor stuff makes point C look a little blah to me. My suggestions:

1. The lighting keeps things illuminated well enough (as far as I can tell viewing the screenshots at full screen), but there's nothing particularly spectacular there. If there's any way to spice up the lighting, make it more dramatic, even bust a hole in the roof to let some sunlight in that might help.

2. The concrete seems pretty overpowering. The wooden structure on the left of the screen helps to break that up really well. If you could convert some of the concrete structure into wood it would probably help make the entire area feel a little less bland.

3. Steam? Yeah, steam is nice and all... but wouldn't highly toxic deadly poisonous gas be a much more significant thing to capture/blow up/defend? Turn that gas green or orange or something and add some lights down there to make it glow a little. There, your cap point just went from pretty cool to oozing with total awesomeness.

EDIT: Here's a very very quick example of what I mean regarding #1 and #3:
Gerbil%20ArtPass%20-%20Lighting%20Paintover.jpg

I jumbled a lot of lighting ideas in there just for examples, but I wouldn't necessarily use all of them together.

Last edited:

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I'm going to have to disagree on the steam into poison idea. I like the steam as is and wouldn't it be a bit silly to contain vaporous toxic material in an open pit?

The lighting does need some work, I agree. but for some reason I can't really reach that holyshitawesome level. Might be my lack of experience or some kind of problem with the lightmaps. Doesn't mean I won't try though, thanks :D

Simski

May 17, 2010
I also disagree with the toxic thing...
It's cool, but it doesn't fit well with the surrounding detailing... at least not that green colored example.

moroes

L1: Registered
Jul 24, 2010
An awesome steam explosion would be... well... awesome, so if you can find someone to do that for you I would definitely do so. If not, oh well.

Everything looks really excellently detailed and I really like the overall look and feel of the outdoor areas, but I have to say that the outdoor stuff makes point C look a little blah to me. My suggestions:

1. The lighting keeps things illuminated well enough (as far as I can tell viewing the screenshots at full screen), but there's nothing particularly spectacular there. If there's any way to spice up the lighting, make it more dramatic, even bust a hole in the roof to let some sunlight in that might help.

2. The concrete seems pretty overpowering. The wooden structure on the left of the screen helps to break that up really well. If you could convert some of the concrete structure into wood it would probably help make the entire area feel a little less bland.

3. Steam? Yeah, steam is nice and all... but wouldn't highly toxic deadly poisonous gas be a much more significant thing to capture/blow up/defend? Turn that gas green or orange or something and add some lights down there to make it glow a little. There, your cap point just went from pretty cool to oozing with total awesomeness.

EDIT: Here's a very very quick example of what I mean regarding #1 and #3:
Gerbil%20ArtPass%20-%20Lighting%20Paintover.jpg

I jumbled a lot of lighting ideas in there just for examples, but I wouldn't necessarily use all of them together.

Nooo you stole my toxic idea!!! ^^

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Gerbil said:
I'm going to have to disagree on the steam into poison idea. I like the steam as is and wouldn't it be a bit silly to contain vaporous toxic material in an open pit?

Silly? Perhaps. But at least when people fall into it they'll die for a reason, darnit! Plus it'll add some visual pizazz. Buuuut I guess... if you want to be boring... you can go with regular dumb ol' steam if you really want to...

Gerbil said:
The lighting does need some work, I agree. but for some reason I can't really reach that holyshitawesome level. Might be my lack of experience or some kind of problem with the lightmaps. Doesn't mean I won't try though, thanks
biggrin.gif

When you've got things illuminated well enough (like you do now) you can really start playing around. Move a few lights, add a couple extras and just try to place them in locations and directions that cast interesting patterns and shadows on the walls and floors. Shine a couple through windows or boarded up openings. Have fun, mess around and see what looks good! Just keep in mind areas you want to draw focus to (entrances/exits/cap points/etc.), and use the light to grab some extra attention in those locations.

moroes said:
Nooo you stole my toxic idea!!! ^^
'Acquired' is more like it. 'Borrowed without asking' would also be appropriate. ;) Seriously though, it's totally your idea. I didn't even think of it until I had a happy accident in Photoshop.

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
Silly? Perhaps. But at least when people fall into it they'll die for a reason, darnit! Plus it'll add some visual pizazz. Buuuut I guess... if you want to be boring... you can go with regular dumb ol' steam if you really want to...

Well steam is pretty hot and can give you a pretty nasty burn. So falling in to a pit of it could be deadly. It may be a stretch, but at least it's something. Also, another good reson to go with steam:

...including Steam in your map may earn you brownie points with Valve.

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
The thing that I'm afraid of is the additional lights over-lighting the boarded wall or the window. that would be ugly D:

I did reduce the lightmap scale on the floor from 16 to 8, that might make a difference.

coagulated

L1: Registered
Aug 12, 2010

There's no shame in just cutting off the corners of the pit where you've decided to put the two symmetrical diagonal boards... I'm just saying this because the boards look a little flimsy and that might dissuade players from standing on them.