Model Ge u25b

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Oh, that's what that was. I always thought the LOD was checked before game (based on hardware info), but it seems to real time. Thanks for the clarification.

IIRC, it's a combination. Lower quality model settings will automatically use the lower LODs, while higher settings will fade between them.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
That's called LOD (Level of Detail). Each model (or at least, high poly models or models that will be seen at varying distances) have several versions of themselves with lower and lower poly counts, for in game performance reasons.

I believe Selentic has already said he intends to make 2 or 3 of these?

edit: texturing one of these would probably be pretty fun, but i'm not used to creating normal maps :/

The normal maps are made off of the high poly model being baked onto the low poly one, so they're generated, rather than created.

As for the amount of LODs I'd do, I'd guess one, maybe two tops?

There really isn't much to strip out, aside from making round stuff less round.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
The normal maps are made off of the high poly model being baked onto the low poly one, so they're generated, rather than created.

As for the amount of LODs I'd do, I'd guess one, maybe two tops?

There really isn't much to strip out, aside from making round stuff less round.

Well there is more drastic steps Valve takes with their lods, as said, they remove the railing, which messes with the mesh... up to you really :)

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
It's a bit hard to give critique on a UV that I cannot touch in max, but I think there might be some sewing opportunities you have missed. Ofc I don't know for sure, but I take it from the vast amount of small things laying open.

Apart from that, there is hardly any unused space, so that's great! :D

ChickenLover

L2: Junior Member
Jun 28, 2008
I'd appreciate crit on the Unwrap, and I'm going to bake the high res tommorow. (don't texture this, it may be changed, and it's not baked or anything)

You could stack a lot of those duplicate pieces and save yourself some time and not to mention pixel space. Since you are working with a symmetrical model (for the most part at least) there will be a lot of options for it. You'll have to watch out for backwards text though. So if you know something is going to have letters or numbers then take note of that area before you stack it.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Got it ingame, still untextured obviously.

test0000.jpg

test0001-1.jpg

GE_NM.jpg

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
selentic did you even try once to texture?
i could help you for some things though

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Looks Spiffy. When we gonna texture this bad boy?

When I fuck it up so bad that I need someone else to do it :p

selentic did you even try once to texture?
i could help you for some things though

I've broken out some tutorials from gameartist which hopefully will prove helpful, but I'll definitely take you up on that if I run into trouble.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
This is a rather good guide on texturing for TF2.

Not that this train fits the style.. At all.

Says the author of arena_watchtower.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Tell me you can stand on the front/back/side.

That could be arranged, but I'm leaning towards no. Assuming the railings are made collideable players would get easily trapped on the train, and source would probably start running them over, even if they're already on the train!