Model Ge u25b

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
High res is done, aside from some small details which I still need to add.

GE5b.png

GE5.jpg

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Forgot the size comparison.

Sizes.jpg

Also the wheels, and back latch are aligned to be in the proper position to allow the default train cars to be added, and have the wheels on the track.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Maybe, and only if I can find myself an animator, because those wheels would look terrible staying still :v

In other news, I'm gonna have plenty of time to work on this, for atleast the next three days.

fuckthis.jpg

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Haha, you live in a can.

I'd love to see a steam engine after this, even if it would be highly outdated.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
It doesn't have to be moving. Then again, I WOULD love to be run down by a steam locomotive in well.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
If I do a train pack (which is a distinct possibility!) I'd want them all to be possible replacements for the stock train.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Don't take it personally, but 21,000 triangles is simply ludicrous, and even with LODs you'll get to what, half that amount before loosing mesh integrity? I can't see how that is even remotely feasible in the source engine.

It would make more sense just as an art piece to make renders of or as a portfolio piece.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Don't take it personally, but 21,000 triangles is simply ludicrous, and even with LODs you'll get to what, half that amount before loosing mesh integrity? I can't see how that is even remotely feasible in the source engine.

It would make more sense just as an art piece to make renders of or as a portfolio piece.

I disagree. Maybe 3 years ago I'd be singing a different tune, but this is 2010, and modern pcs (fuck the people who can hardly hit minimum on this game, seriously) are more than capable of handling models of this complexity.

As a comparison, the payload cart is 14k triangles, and is maybe 1/8th the size of this train?

I just can't grasp how 21k for an object this size can strike anyone as unreasonable :S

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
It's called a budget. The payload cart is a high focus, gameplay oriented object. And it's not 14k triangles, it's closer to 11.5k, which let me tell you, is a big difference. The problem with your theory on "This is 2010", is that not every object is gameplay oriented. What you're missing is that you've created a detail object with the focus of a gameplay object. If you make all your models like this (and so far, that's exactly the kind of work you do), then you easily go over budget without even trying.

Oh, perhaps if you were making this for a game in another engine, something that wasn't multiplayer, and if I were your art director, I would let it slide...then again we'd be using normal maps for objects in the game and this wouldn't even be an issue in the first place. But you're not, you're working with the Source engine, so don't even give me that bullshit.

Every time I see your work it's painful to look at because you don't comprehend the idea of a budget. And you also don't pay any attention to the stylistic aspect of tf2, or the time period of the game, and you walk around talking about stuff with this high and mighty know it all attitude that you and a few members of this community could do without.

Bob Ross

L3: Member
Jun 16, 2009
RED- Railroad Expansion & Development
BLU- Blutarch Locomotive Union (maybe borris's or bollinger's or builder's)
Dustbowl Diesel (Deliveries?)
Maxwell Armored Freight

also as for the optimization issue i think that most (if not all) of the little ridges on the sides and on the stairs can be done just as nicely with textures. its a beautiful model but they have a point. its a little too good looking. and all those little ridges wont be missed when the train runs you down or you're defending a point from an incoming uber in the heat of battle.

Last edited: