Flurry

KotH Flurry RC5

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Flurry - A snowy KotH map with a train that runs through mid

Flurry is a KotH map made for the Connect 5 mapping contest. It has snow, water, trains, birds... Basically any average KotH map. But unlike any other KotH map, Flurry has an enormous flank route straight past mid for a sneaky scout or spy to slip past, as well as a train that runs through mid seconds after the point is capped. So when you hear the railroad signal, you better hightail it off the point or you risk a potential team wipe!

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Well, RC1 came and went pretty quickly. But, heres RC2. This is a full on detail update.

Added wood supports on almost all wood buildings

Removed half of the icicles

Changed health patches on red side to their corresponding team color

Added some trees to hide terrible seams in dispacements

Added a radio tower on red side's cliff

Stretched the high ground near mid to stick to the cliff

Read the rest of this update entry...

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Mind if I suggest you change the prop_heavy area shown in the second screenshot(the one with the big wooden staircase) to be less propspammy? Maybe change some fences to func_details? It looks pretty messy.

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Okay, here's a little before-release update in case if it's a bit too small.

+Added tree skycards in the skybox for more realism
-Replaced the wood plank fence in the flank into a func_detail brush
-Replaced the stack of logs on BLU flank with a porch for some asymmetrical symmetry
-Removed some silent ambient_generics around the map
+Moved back some floating trees of the cliff
+Did a clipping pass to reassure no clipping exploits

Here's a question for you guys, is the soundscape too loud? Please respond if so. Thanks!

Oh, and just a quick quirk with RC2, It has no nav_generate. So, you can't test with bots on RC2. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Well, I finished RC3, and 14 days before the deadline no less!

Here's a full list of the changes

+Added tree skycards in the skybox
::Adds more realism as well as hides some skybox seams​
-Replaced the wood plank fence in the flank
::The fence was changed into a func_detail brush​
-Replaced the stack of logs on BLU flank
::Replaced by a porch as well as some toxic barrels​
-Removed some silent ambient_generics around the map
+Moved back some floating trees of the cliff
+Did a clipping pass to reassure no clipping exploits
+Added 2 more train cars behind the main engine
::Right behind the train is a gravel car and a rocket car​

Last edited:

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Anyways, RC3 just might be the last version before the contest ends. I believe it has enough detail and gameplay elements to make a "complete" map. Oh, and on a related note, should I add a fade distance to some props? It just feels like optimization would be a bit better.

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Hello! Sorry I skipped RC4, I forgot to put something into the download ZIP file. But here are the patchnotes anyways!

+Added some lighting changes

+Added a custom overlay (The thing I forgot)

+Fixed a small clipping issue

+Changed the storage containers on red into a shack

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Alright, I have a question. Should I make the cliff an assortment of displacement brushes instead of props? Just asking, because displacement cliffs have a bit more flexibility than props. Oh, and I can't add many areaportals for some reason. I tried to add some and they were all closed except for some on blu, don't know why but they stay closed. But I can add some hint brushes to reduce visleaf counts. That's the most I can do

Cincomma

bonk sploosh
aa
Aug 2, 2017
Alright, I've managed to find out how to use hints. I'm not going to use areaportals because I don't think they like me very much.

Nov 28, 2017
Alright, I've managed to find out how to use hints. I'm not going to use areaportals because I don't think they like me very much.
I usually use areaportals only in rooms or for detail background where theres only one path. If used right, it can boost fps tremendously