Overlay Extra Team Logos

Verno

L2: Junior Member
Jul 17, 2010
The white on yellow is pretty hard to read. Stick with black

Yeah, I started with black, but then remembered that the Blu and Red logo text are in white so I tried out white. I want to try and be consistent with the Red and Blu logo where I can, but being able to read the text supersedes consistency. I might try darker yellow backgrounds as well to see if the white text would show up better with those, but black text wouldn't be bad really.

...augh! In the time between the original posting and this bump, the annoying appearance of YOLO on the internet has apparently made it so I can no longer like any of these when abbreviated that way. :(

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be getting a bunch of YOLO jokes when I post the finished logo. I prefer YLO over YLW though, because I can use the word Organization for O. What the letter W would stand for would be tricky to figure out.

The ones on the first row are best I think; Good logos should have you reading the text (YLO) first, not the design. The design should compliment the company name, not obscure it.

Thats a good point. I'll be focusing on more simply designs in the future.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and keep it coming please.

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
How about World-wide for W?

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
I'm still looking into possibly going with different Acronyms but in the meantime here's this:

JGtONA8.png

for reference:
Red logo / Blu logo / GRN logo / List of companies

So here's some questions I have:
1. Which color scheme is better (back text vs white text)
2. Should I stick with the anchor motif or come up with something else?
3. Should I angle the text in some way?
4. Which font looks the best?
5. Do these fit the TF2 Style?

And thanks again for the feedback so far.

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
How about the top right one from the previous page, the one with the waves on the bottom, but with the new darker yellow and the company name in all caps? Could you try that to see how it looks?

1. The black on yellow looks better but is inconsistent with the others.
2. The anchor helps clarify that the yard is a shipyard.
3. Angled text might hint at a sinking ship, not good.
4. Of the ones pictured here, I like the bottom font.
5. I think so.

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
How about the top right one from the previous page, the one with the waves on the bottom, but with the new darker yellow and the company name in all caps? Could you try that to see how it looks?

I'll see how that looks. On reason I didn't continue over the wave though was because I'm thinking of putting a wave in the background and I didn't want to double up on waves.

1. The black on yellow looks better but is inconsistent with the others.
Yeah, thats the problem I'm facing. Black is easier to read, but is not consistent with the Blu and Red signs.

And of course, thanks for the feedback.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Put a black outline around the white lettering on dark yellow/orange background. Then a border of the brighter yellow around the edges (sort of in the style of your GRN logo).

I have no strong preference on font, but I think the top/first one looks more shipyard-ish, if such a thing exists.

Style is fine.

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
If you're planning to put waves in the background, the bottom left one is best. The black outline makes a really big difference, and I like that the anchor is not touching the Y. Also, the tops of the Y and the L remind me of those things I don't remember the name of that you tie the ropes around to secure a ship to the dock.

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
BOJRVqV.png

Here's some prototypes of the full sign. How do they look? Also, which of the two full name fonts do you prefer? The full name font is the only difference between the top and bottom sign.

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
I like the font on the top one. Now that everything is outlined, maybe you can get away with a slightly lighter shade of yellow.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Honestly, neither one quite works here. You may want to go back to something less informal.

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
Okay I think I got it. I decided to remove the border around the text because I felt it lacked the simplicity of the Red and Blu Logo. I think the dark bottom makes up for the light top. I also switched over to a more formal font as stevethepocket suggested.

for reference:
Red logo / Blu logo / GRN logo / List of companies

YLOSign4.png

So what do you guys think?

Update: fixed the kerning a bit, I think.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Font's better, but the kerning is awful. And I don't just mean between the Y and the A; it's just all around crazy. Try setting the text spacing to "Optical" if you're using Photoshop and see if that helps any.

Verno

Jul 17, 2010
Font's better, but the kerning is awful. And I don't just mean between the Y and the A; it's just all around crazy. Try setting the text spacing to "Optical" if you're using Photoshop and see if that helps any.

I've read about that before. Unfortunately, I'm using inkscape (Edited: I'm using gimp too, just not for text) at the moment and I don't think there are kerning settings in Gimp sadly.

Last edited: