Engineer update soon?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
From what I read on the steam forums, the weapon items are somewhat useless.

Chocolate: Heavy, +50 hp, wears off in 30 seconds. Takes up secondary slot (eg, same as sandvich).

Paintrain: Demo or Soldier, +1 to cap, +10% dmg from bullets.

Homewrecker: Pyro, +100% dmg to buildings, -25% to players.

Though I think that might be the point of user made non-hat items: To goof around with, not for serious use in play. I suppose this would keep user made items from being unbalanced, but still fun to have.

At least that's what I'm getting out of reading what they do. Would have to try these in game to get a real feel for them... Usually steam forums are a bunch of whiners and always complain. <g>

But the samurai helmet for the soldier and the brainsucker for the pyro... omgah, do want.

Kep

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
We must test: does the chocolate bar allow 500 HP heavies?

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
From what I read on the steam forums, the weapon items are somewhat useless.

Chocolate: Heavy, +50 hp, wears off in 30 seconds. Takes up secondary slot (eg, same as sandvich).

Paintrain: Demo or Soldier, +1 to cap, +10% dmg from bullets.

Homewrecker: Pyro, +100% dmg to buildings, -25% to players.

Though I think that might be the point of user made non-hat items: To goof around with, not for serious use in play. I suppose this would keep user made items from being unbalanced, but still fun to have.

At least that's what I'm getting out of reading what they do. Would have to try these in game to get a real feel for them... Usually steam forums are a bunch of whiners and always complain. <g>

But the samurai helmet for the soldier and the brainsucker for the pyro... omgah, do want.

Kep

They all sound like they've got situational uses but none of them are game changers - which sounds about perfect tbh. A good demoman/solly could get a lot out of the Paintrain on maps like Badlands...

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I wonder if the Homewrecker would make that much of a difference if you were ubered and taking on a sentry. I mean, it only takes a little while with the flamethrower when you're point-blank burning a sentry.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
With the hammer, you have to whack each building in turn.

With either of the flamethrowers, you burn them, the engineer behind them, the other building behind the engineer, and anyone else trying to get close. And you get all your ammo back when the buildings go kablooie.

So... it doesn't quite make sense to pick over the flamethrower. [Edit] Er, and by pick, I mean use -- it replaces the melee, not the flamethrower.

On the other hand, who doesn't want to take a sentry nest apart bit by bit with a BANHAMMER and your BARE HANDS. That's like liquid awesome.

Iunno, unless the engineer update brings fireproof or fire-resistant buildings, I don't see it as a serious weapon choice. A fun one, most certainly (and I'm going to beat a heavy to death with this once I get it, I guarantee it). And fun is what it's all about, so thumbs up to Valve for this update.

Kep

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
Here are all of the new items:
medic_mask.png
hallmark.png
hounddog.png
weldingmask.png
soldier_samurai.png
pyro_brainsucker.png
beanie.png
noblehair.png
pith_helmet.png

c_chocolate.png
c_paintrain.png
c_sledgehammer.png

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Can we find out what these items do/how they perform? Somehow i get the feeling that 10% faster uber rate at the price of self heal an interesting exchange, if that's what the medics mask does. I dunno, that was my first thought.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Some of those hats look pretty good. Gotta love that green blob. :3

I don't care much for the weapons, I'm just glad there aren't very many of them. They're ok, so why not...