ED-Alloc: no free edicts

Oct 6, 2008
Yep it's still the edicts - it's starting to drive me insane!

If I delete anything more, I won't really have anything left of my map.

I have a really long payload route - and except for some props - tracks /rocks/etc - the only thing I can think of is to start deleting nodes off the track - it's about all I have left to delete.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I think you are just "overtesting" it with the bots. Bots can easily be caused to make more edicts than will ever occur in a normal game. The largest possible is demoman + three weapons + fourteen stickies + four grenades, times 32. That comes out to 704 (if you count players and not bots, then add another 64 for hat+misc) which would require you to limit the map to around 1300. But like I said, there are valve maps around 1600 and they never crash because the flow of normal gameplay never reaches that amount of edicts.

Oct 6, 2008
THANK YOU!!!!!

I was thinking that I was now going to have to rip out every last thing I had on my map to get it to work - including the payload!!!

Aug 19, 2008
Type cl_showents in the console when you load the map, before you even join a team. If the number on the last line is below 1600, you are safe.

took the time to check it:

1380 on start
1353 spawned in
1572 with 31 demobots
1890 with 32x8 stickies fired
2018 with 32x4 stickies fired
no crashes thus far

yet if the bots get gibbed by their own stickies, i run once again into the ED_alloc crash. i guess the gibs are single entities on their own, skyrocketing the entcount.

i´ll just assume that this is stresstesting at its best/worst and an occurance most unlikely to happen in any normal, aight?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well the gibs are physics entities, aren't they. But gibs have a set life time of a couple seconds. Also bearing in mind that most people dying at any one time wont be gibbing and the fact that sometimes explosives still wont cause players to gib on kill, for what ever reason, perhaps a bug.

A more reasonable stress test is probably with soldiers, no team usually comprises of more than 4 demomen, especially when capped with an SM plugin.