Dunno

PL Dunno _a18

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018
This isn't a large enough update for me to justify a new version, I'm testing some more changes to A to hopefully help offense actually get past A so they can test the rest of the map lol

Changelog
  • Removed one of the entrances to the main building on A. This removes one sentry spot that was strong.
  • Adjusted cover near the building so that it still blocks sightlines but isn't quite as RED sided.
  • Added two new windows: One in the long flank and one in the main building. These should both give BLU some high ground if they take these spots.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
By request, I took a look at this map to give some feedback. I'm approaching this feedback from the perspective that these are the changes I would likely make to the map if I was to take it over. This is all theorycrafting and according to my downloads folder I haven't played the map since a2, so I could be totally off base.

upload_2021-10-11_18-4-25.png

I would try to turn this into a harder choke. Right now you're doing a lot of sightline management around the point with tall walls and that whole gameplay space around the tracks is awkward as a result. I think it would help to instead change the path of the payload and the surrounding geometry to block off the sightlines that cross the entire open area, segmenting it into two separate areas. This will free you up to make the gameplay space around the second half of the cart more fun, and will also help with pacing, allowing red to regroup after losing the forward hold, and allowing blue a more secure forward hold.

upload_2021-10-11_18-7-4.png

On a similar note, I would axe this route entirely. That building is pretty powerful for pushing the point and blue shouldn't get it for free. Instead, they should earn access to that building once they have successfully pushed up to the new choke I'm proposing.

Also, figure out where to put a sentry nest. Here's a rough idea. You might need to rescale some of this to make it feel right, especially with sightline management.

upload_2021-10-11_18-30-22.png

upload_2021-10-11_18-12-49.png

Blue generally gets the stretch of cart path immediately following a control point, which I've circled. Once they turn the corner, that's the first opportunity for red to establish a new hold. To that effect, I would get rid of the flank on the inside of this corner entirely. It allows players on either team to bypass the corner choke, which either means red will have a hard time establishing a forward hold in this room, or red has a route straight back to the point that they shouldn't be able to retake.

Also, removing this route will free you up to alter the scaling of the layout.

upload_2021-10-11_18-18-49.png

I'd also axe this route. It's another weird choke bypass. In general, it's better to provide options by allowing multiple angles and routes in one large gameplay space, rather than having flanks that entirely circumvent that large gameplay space. Red's best strategy is to spam the hell out of the flank so nobody can come through, because if blue players do come through then it's an unfair angle on red players focusing on the cart path. It's not fun gameplay.

upload_2021-10-11_18-25-7.png

Make this area bigger and more interesting. What geometry do I have as a player to make use of when fighting enemies? Not much. Where does the sentry go? Where does the bulk of red team huddle up and fall back to? I think the answer is that red huddles up in the high ground corner area, which I don't think is a very fair area because its high ground only accessible from behind the control point. If you need more room, consider elongating it like this and reworking how the cart enters the area:

upload_2021-10-11_18-38-20.png

I think C is probably the strongest part of the map. This corner feels like a classic payload choke - temporary forward holds for red, a single simple corner with no flank to bypass it entirely, and one large flank that allows players to duke it out in a more open deathmatch area. I'd just remove this door, try to simplify/consolidate some of the interior routing to the flank area, and give a more protected place for a sentry.

upload_2021-10-11_18-43-52.png

I'm too tired to analyze D. I need to make dinner. This is probably plenty to work from. Hope it helps!

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018
youporkchop5 updated Dunno with a new update entry:

A17 - It's so cool that I skipped A16

Changelog:
  • Removed the B point logic to make the map more in line with its earlier versions, which had only 3 points
  • Added more space between A and B and between B and C
  • Adjusted each team's spawn locations to compensate for the map being generally longer now
  • Retooled almost every arena to encourage class balance and more player choice, and to ensure the forward and backward hold areas for each point are where I want them to be
  • Relit some of the map and changed its...

spruce

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2022
"Drop the payload into the Nickelodeon Slime Pit!" Is such a funny tag I had to come in and point it out

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

A17A - Dipping my toes into Change

• Reworked the flank into the grassy area between the B forward and backward hold - it now goes over the big building so it should be a lot faster and more obvious for BLU to use
  • RED now has a 10 second respawn wave time to defend B (was 8)
  • BLU now gets 5 minutes and 30 seconds added to the timer when A is capped (was 5 minutes)
  • If these changes don't have the desired effect of making B easier I will shorten the distance between A and B

• Soft rework of the...

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

A17B - LazyTown

• Removed some cases where there were like, fourteen or fifteen overlapping ambient_generic entities which were overflowing the list of currently playing sounds and causing some sounds to not play
  • Slightly adjusted the maximum HDR exposure downwards
  • You can now no longer glide on top of the toxic sludge without taking damage

• Slightly adjusted the B lobby to make it harder to hold, reducing the average amount of time that RED will stall BLU between A and B...

youporkchop5

Server Staff
Apr 15, 2018

A18 - Putrefaction

-Reduced the distance between A and B and deleted the fence room
-Previous playtests had left me in no doubt that this was necessary; it was simply too common for RED to use the room I intended as BLU's lobby as a second forward hold

-Increased the distance between B and C and added a new arena in between to accommodate
-I'm not 100% confident this will be balanced, but it should give me an unwaveringly strong idea of where the forward and backward hold should be for C

-Total...