Feb 1, 2009
new screens, I like this lighting alot so it might be semi-final
cp_crossroads0004.jpg

cp_crossroads0005.jpg

cp_crossroads0006.jpg

cp_crossroads0007.jpg

early point B:
cp_crossroads0008.jpg

Also the final (?) name for the map is cp_crossroads, I'll ask an admin to change the thread title when I feel like it

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
New > Old
IMO the rainy alpine theme only worked in sawmill
hehe, did you beat a competitor out of the race there ?

just kidding, but i don't really like that "new" lighting, looks rather plain and uncontrasted like a light porridge :/
i think you should get back to the lighting garage again to investigate a bit more

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I think the lighting will look a lot better when you put in contrasting local lights, with a soft yellow tint to it. The current lighting begs for a good contrast on hot spots (capture points, ammo/health, door ways, etc) and that should make it look really sexy.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
HO HO HO! Merry early christmas! A1 released!

It's sunny again, this time with ravine's lighting, I like it but it will most likely change when I start detailing so don't worry if you don't.

Also, this is highly experimental, so the first alpha might not be perfect.

Feb 14, 2008
I'd still rather have a normal 5 CP map, but all to their own.

Your points need hazard strips on them (well, mid and last do)

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Since you seem desperate for bumps XD, i downloaded the map so i will give feedback next time i see it ingame, and if i remember and have time i will look around solo for a bit.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Although the map is quite awesome, I found it a bit confusing, but I might've not been paying attention to signs :p I'm really interested in this map; what theme is it going to be in?

Swiftmind

L2: Junior Member
Dec 6, 2009
First time I played this map. I like the layout of the map. It is pretty simple. You just run and you will go past the points you need to get too. The hallway being the quick way to the mid point is nice. Just wish it would open when my team did not own the mid point hehe ;). I have no real complaints about the layout. I thought it was well thought out.

One thing did happen. I was on red team I believe. I rocket jumped up onto the grass area for blue's exit from the quick hallway near the water to destroy some enemy teleports. I was able to go into blue's quick hallway. I was not able to go through the door near their respawn though. I wondered, was I supposed to be in that hallway or not?

The only thing I did find confusing is the game logic, the capping situation. I did not read your maps description here on how the logic works before play the map. I understand through the voice chat that this is some type of new CP gameplay, non-linear or something. So I just need to learn how it works. But for the general public, they are going to be really confused on how this gameplay works. Especially when the mapping community members are not explaining how it works in voice chat. I wonder if it is worth while to add in some type of instructions when the map starts for players. Either through goal strings or some type of texture on the wall. If there was already instructions I missed it or did not pay attention. Or perhaps a graphic to illustrate how and when to cap the points. I mean it is pretty easy to know what point the teams can cap based on the locks and such but it just seemed odd to me.

If I remember right this is what made me confused, the enemy capped point B after taking the MidPT. Later on my team recapped the MidPT...but B was always locked. You need to watch the recording of todays playtest...but I think this is what happened. In reading your maps description you say once my team owns the middle we can retake B. I never noticed this in game....perhaps I just missed that the point was now unlocked. If this is the case, perhaps an ingame message stating the point is now unlocked?

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
One thing did happen. I was on red team I believe. I rocket jumped up onto the grass area for blue's exit from the quick hallway near the water to destroy some enemy teleports. I was able to go into blue's quick hallway. I was not able to go through the door near their respawn though. I wondered, was I supposed to be in that hallway or not?
No, you shouldn't be able to get there. I forgot to make the other doors close too, but that'll be fixed in a3.

The only thing I did find confusing is the game logic, the capping situation. I did not read your maps description here on how the logic works before play the map. I understand through the voice chat that this is some type of new CP gameplay, non-linear or something. So I just need to learn how it works. But for the general public, they are going to be really confused on how this gameplay works. Especially when the mapping community members are not explaining how it works in voice chat. I wonder if it is worth while to add in some type of instructions when the map starts for players. Either through goal strings or some type of texture on the wall. If there was already instructions I missed it or did not pay attention. Or perhaps a graphic to illustrate how and when to cap the points. I mean it is pretty easy to know what point the teams can cap based on the locks and such but it just seemed odd to me.
Yeah I didn't add goal strings yet because I wanted to see if players were able to figure it out themselves, I'll add them in the next version.

If I remember right this is what made me confused, the enemy capped point B after taking the MidPT. Later on my team recapped the MidPT...but B was always locked. You need to watch the recording of todays playtest...but I think this is what happened. In reading your maps description you say once my team owns the middle we can retake B. I never noticed this in game....perhaps I just missed that the point was now unlocked. If this is the case, perhaps an ingame message stating the point is now unlocked?
It works kinda like dustbowl, except there are two sides and the owner of the mid is the attacker. So when you capture the middle you need to cap A first to be able to cap B.

Although the map is quite awesome, I found it a bit confusing, but I might've not been paying attention to signs :p I'm really interested in this map; what theme is it going to be in?
I'll try adding some more signs in the next version. As for the theme, it will be alpine or swamp, I haven't really decided yet.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Just watched the gameday demo, it was a bit stalematey, some people wanted forward spawns but I can say right now that they wouldn't work in the map because it's so small. The biggest problem in my eyes was that the last point was too easy to defend, I'll work on that

Swiftmind

L2: Junior Member
Dec 6, 2009
Just watched the gameday demo, it was a bit stalematey, some people wanted forward spawns but I can say right now that they wouldn't work in the map because it's so small. The biggest problem in my eyes was that the last point was too easy to defend, I'll work on that

I agree. A forward spawn is not needed. Just a quick thought, I wonder how things would work if the quick hallway opened for whatever team did not have the mid point instead.

I like the idea of the game logic. It is a slight twist. I just think the map needs some sort of ingame message to describe how it works. Then more would understand it faster.