Crossroads

CP Crossroads B5

Jindo

L3: Member
Aug 6, 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this map. There were plenty of flanks which really helped when our team was at a disadvantage.

There was an issue with doors where some players could get trapped in a small corridor if the appropriate control points were captured, but I'm sure you're aware of this (it's in the demo of my playtest, which I will upload later.)

I also found the capture times to be a bit forgiving on the final points. I remember spawning when someone began capturing the final point, and I was able to leave the spawn and stop them myself (NB: the distance from spawn to final point on this map is a bit longer than some of valve's maps.)

Design-wise, everything looked fine, although the water bugged me (I'm guessing it's not an expensive water texture?)

---

Overall, good job, I'll have a demo up in a little while, if that's of any use to you.

EDIT: http://labs.topaz-games.com/kj/tf/demos/tf2m/cp_crossroads_a3_tf2m_301209_2.zip Hope I didn't mix the maps up, this should be yours.

Last edited:

Impulse

L2: Junior Member
Nov 1, 2009
First i'd like to say congratulations on this map, it was fun and beautiful for what was detailed.

there were only two things that i think could be improved so far...
I think the spawn times are too long and the sentry position i was using could be made weaker.

cp_crossroads_a40000.jpg

my thoughts on this would be that if you removed the red panels but left the bridge and rail it would make soldiers and other classes with longer range weapons to hit it directly. You could make the bridge in between the two sides windows glass to make demos able to see where their stickies land on the other side or what is over there. Also if you added some boards or another way to get up there it would allow spies to sap the sentry gun. But i think this would also require the door behind the sentry to make it a one way only so any other class cannot run to spawn and camp.

cp_crossroads_a40001.jpg

Other than that congrats on your very fun map :)

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
No. When BLU lost the mid during the second playtest, the doors were still unlocked.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/cp_crossroads_a50002.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/cp_crossroads_a50003.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1490725/cp_crossroads_a50004.jpg

When a team owns four points, the door closest to middle is passable. When a team owns three points, the door on the side is passable. When a team owns two points, you cannot get into that room. That might fix the problem of being able to come up from behind, and it will also solve the Demo/Soldier spam since in a5, both teams came out of their doors which were right next to eachother.

As you can see, if you add a door to the side, and then a small hallway, it leads to near the second point. This makes sense. In most 5cp maps, if you own four points, your forward respawn is at mid. If you own up to mid, your forward respawn is at your second. Thus, instead of cp_crossroads having any forward respawns, you just have this door hub that is right next to your single respawn.

The purple circle shows a pallet in a cement thing, and it's leaning against nothing. Gravity does not exist in that room?

Last edited:

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
For a7 I'll go back to the a3/a4/a5 setup but make the spawntimes even longer to prevent spam...
It might actually have been the really short spawntimes that made a3 so fun, and if that's the case, I'll have to modify the middle point to suit them better.
I don't think a shortcut to point 2/4 is needed since the point is so close to spawn anyway.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
It's not a shortcut to second, it's a shortcut to mid. The new door which leads to second is unlocked if you own mid, but the door right at mid is not unlocked until you own fourth. It makes it more like the forward spawns of Badlands, Well, and Granary.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Sounds like a shortcut to second to me :/
Well whatever, I've got these two things I want to try first.
Btw, a7 released, it's like a5 but the spawntimes are three times as long as in a3

Hellfire

L9: Fashionable Member
Jul 9, 2008
Does an alpha a day
make mah map look ok?

just kiddin,lookin forward to play new version

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
People seem to have difficulty noticing the shortcut and keep taking the longer route... I'll probably change the layout of the spawn area a bit to make it feel more natural to take the shortcut, or something.
I also have a feeling that despite the increase in spawntimes, the middle area is still going to be spammy and I'll have to change that anyway.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Been sketching a bit and redesigning the mid and last point areas... After tomorrow's thest I'll ultimately decide what exactly I'm going to change, but a8 will be a lot different thant the first 7

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
This was crazy fun today - the middle seems to change hands nicely and despite the lack of forward spawns teams were able to push to a finish. I think the only real problem that came up was that doorway not opening back up after a while. If you can just kill that glitch, this is looking hella solid.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
After yesterday's test I've decided that I won't touch the middle area, yet anyway, but I'll definately do something to the spawns, and that little shortcut from mid to 2/4 bothers me a bit too.