Resource icon

CP cp_viper_industries 2016-04-29

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
wicked man, thanks for that, will check this all out now , I have really wanted to test with humans (not AI)
Never test with bots. Ever. Only use them to see if spawn points/other logic works, but don't use them for gameplay purposes.

Short story: bots are extremely dumb. Long story. bots are extremely duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb. They never use flanking routes. They don't rocket/sticky jump. They all glue together on a cart/control point. Engineers never move that gear up (neither do pub Engineers but you don't test maps on Valve server pubs).

Also:
damn, it is sky_day_01_01, i thought it was a tf2 skybox, pakrat never asked to add it to the pack so always thought it was a tf2 map, well, you live you learn!
That's because it's in everybody's game already, in the hl2 folder.

damnedge

L1: Registered
Feb 28, 2009
Never test with bots. Ever. Only use them to see if spawn points/other logic works, but don't use them for gameplay purposes.

Short story: bots are extremely dumb. Long story. bots are extremely duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb. They never use flanking routes. They don't rocket/sticky jump. They all glue together on a cart/control point. Engineers never move that gear up (neither do pub Engineers but you don't test maps on Valve server pubs).

Also:

That's because it's in everybody's game already, in the hl2 folder.
I totally get it from the many bot tests I have run, they seem to use different routes on this map (which is great), but I only had bots to test with.

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
Yes, new hammer maps default to sky_day_01_01. Also as far as i know, HL2 stuff doesn't have to be packed because the content was included with early valve games like TF2. But HL2 stuff doesn't really look good with TF2 stuff because of the different artstyles, so it's not advised except in very small and appropriate doses.

bots are extremely dumb. Long story. bots are extremely duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb
Blatant plagiarism :)

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Yes, new hammer maps default to sky_day_01_01. Also as far as i know, HL2 stuff doesn't have to be packed because the content was included with early valve games like TF2. But HL2 stuff doesn't really look good with TF2 stuff because of the different artstyles, so it's not advised except in very small and appropriate doses.

Blatant plagiarism :)
What else should I call them then?

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
damn, it is sky_day_01_01, i thought it was a tf2 skybox, pakrat never asked to add it to the pack so always thought it was a tf2 map, well, you live you learn!
I did have some issues ,cant remember the error which hammer spat out when trying to use a couple other tf2 skyboxs (I didnt want any errors in my log file, so this one didnt give that error...and it looked good

The errors the TF2 skyboxes give are normal. That happens to every single map so it's nothing to worry out.

damnedge

Feb 28, 2009
change notes...
increased ambient lighting slightly
added 1 minute to first capture
added hut to where blu spawns
added extra walls before capture C
placed temp red spawn at beginning match (at match start red spawn moves back)
this is so you can get to defend blu spawn better.
cut an area in the glass by capture C so its easier to attack (great for snipers)
more optimization

Read the rest of this update entry...

damnedge

Feb 28, 2009
The errors the TF2 skyboxes give are normal. That happens to every single map so it's nothing to worry out.

hey thats good to know, I just didnt want any errors popping up in my log, or tf2 running an error a million times during gameplay.
will take a look at which skybox matches my map this week

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
so give it a try with some bots on hard and let me know what you think

Why? I think testing it in a gameday/imp is much,MUCH better than testing it with bots.

Bots are dumb,no matter the difficulty. They can't rocket/sticky jump,take flank routes,attack/defend properly. Heck,they can't even leave proper feedback.

There's a gameday for tomorrow,Sunday,right HERE. Why don't you post your map there and get it tested?

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Bots are nothing compared to real players, bots navigate by choosing the route with the least boxes (aka rather takes a room with a few big boxes than a corddior with a lot of small boxes).

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Really? If you have no proof of it I am almost sure bots do calculate the distance.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Also, why ask us to test with bots when that's something you could do on your own? Testing with bots is specifically what you resort to when no one is interested in helping you.