cp_observatory

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
So far so good.

Aside from one rotation, Playtests show both teams tend to win equally, and most people had fun, be it those who want to play or those who want to go sight-seeing

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
The map is coming along very nicely, so the next release (b6) will be the last beta release before I finalize it. :D

Major things I'm working on:
- BLU and RED spawns less campable
- Shift the focus of battle away from C to A and B (making A and B easier to defend; making C harder)
- Optimization (especially on B)

It seems that the B is just too open, causing massive fps lag during heated combat.

While working on making a simple wall, I just couldn't help but to go all out and just add a whole new structure.

cp_observatory_b60008.jpg

cp_observatory_b60006.jpg

cp_observatory_b60007.jpg

It's almost done. :) You can tell that I'm improving as a mapper.

It's times like these where I really enjoy mapping.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
My video card just exploded on me (died), so I won't be able to release any more maps until I get a new one

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
The map is coming along very nicely, so the next release (b6) will be the last beta release before I finalize it. :D

It's almost done. :) You can tell that I'm improving as a mapper.

I think you jinxed yourself there :-/

Also, for taking screen shots. In spectator, sv_cheats 1 cl_drawhud 0. If you'd rather do that as a player, there is a command to hide the weapon models, but I never actually remember it :-/

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
You mean the gloves aren't included when you play it? :( I still need to get my KGB's.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Just bought a new 4850!

I'm going to release b6 shortly, but here's a preview the new building in which I am so proud of.

cp_observatory_b60032.jpg

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
This will be my final BETA Release. Changes are somewhat more visual and performance-oriented. Please provide feedback as I will be preparing the final release!

Beta 6 Released on October 29, 2008
-Expanded BLU's spawn area
-Added more cover for defenders
-Added upper platform for attackers on C
-Increased capture times for A and B
-Added new text that announcements to map layout changes
-Added no entry visuals to mark doors triggered by captures
-Vast visual and preformance improvements
-Preparations for final release

bob+M|M+

Mar 31, 2008
Nice map Icarus, it's been a lot of fun playing the betas.

I have some suggestions for you, so first of all

Stairs

Add clipping to ALL your stairs. You have a decent amount of stairs in your map and none of them have clipping.

Like this:
stair1ym1.jpg

It helps with continuity and you will be able to jump while running up the stairs instead of getting a vertical fail jump. (And Valve uses it on all their stairs)

Wall clipping

Take a look at this picture.
clipping3mf3.jpg

There are many places for the player to accidentily get "caught" while walking. So to enhance continuity, you should use sloped playerclip brushes to eliminate 90 degree angles.

For example:
clipping3afterpa4.jpg

It's ideal to prevent the player from getting caught in the surrounding geometry.

You can use another playerclip in this example:
clipping4aa2.jpg

You should be using these ALL over your map.

Abusive demoman

At point C, a demoman can land on all those metal beams up there. You can either make a tall playerclip roofs on all the beams, or like cp_steel, you can use a trigger_push on the top of these to push people off.. Or just leave it ;)
demo1pj6.jpg

Overlaps and Misaligns

These are probably just small things you overlooked, but just in case you don't know, misaligned and overlapping brushes are VERY suboptimal. (Unless they are func_detail, then it's not so bad.)
misalign1sb4.jpg

In this staircase you have a set of stairs completely overlapping eachother.
stair2sg7.jpg

Textures

Be sure to recheck all your texture, that they are properly aligned.
texture1dj9.jpg

Lastly, just a cool spot in your map:
sentry1hw4.jpg

You can get up to those rafters with engineer in 60 seconds from when the game starts. But by then the setup timer is over, and you still got a dispenser and a sentry on the to-do list. If you can pull it off though, it's kickass :D

btw I love the new building you added. Keep up the great work.

bob+M|M+

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks!

I'm usually on top of these things, but it seems I've gotten a bit lazy these last few betas

I thought I already had clipping on the stairs, but I was mistaken

As for playtests, the map seems very balanced and plays very close to how I'd like it too be.

:D :D

I've gotten quite a few requests to make an arena map using C and its surrounding halls, so I'm considering releasing that along with the final.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Release 1.0 has been made, and there will most likely be no further update in the near future.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and I hope you enjoy the map!

Chilly

May 3, 2008
Release 1.0 has been made, and there will most likely be no further update in the near future.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and I hope you enjoy the map!

Great. :) Thanks for this great map. Looking forward to loading it up on the server.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Released v2
-Fixed BLU not winning when C is captured
-Slapped myself to make sure this never happens again