Control Point Mini Contest voting thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_grazr1
4 | cpoint_icarus2
3 | cpoint_deloras
2 | cpoint_eerieone
1 | cpoint_scorpiouprising

Aug 19, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_spud
4 | cpoint_deloras
3 | cpoint_icarus1
2 | cpoint_icarus2
1 | cpoint_acumen

acumen:
the scenario is awesome and well executed, i especially love the lighting on the rocks. the point itself might have needed a bit more focus, some brighter lighting coming from the ceiling perhaps. the weird empty view out of the window next to the exit-door and some weird shadows dampen the experience.
screenshots goes up to 0007.jpg

aly:
very nice use of the alpine setting, but i miss the alpine sky. i love the blatantly hidden rocket, no one will find it there :D. the wires between the buildings are too rigid and look out of place that way, some props are at places where they don´t make much sense
screenshots goes up to 0013.jpg

dbp:
it´s cold in there :D there are many well thought out ideas in this entree, the small walkway on top with the control room, the projected map. unfortunately there are also many missed chance, the cave itself feels dull, the ice isn´t reflecting anything that would give it a less clay-ish structure. the control room beneath the point would shine with some more light, and the first thing that caught my eye: the truck... how did it get in there, and who managed to maneuver it the way it stands now? don´t get me wrong, it´s an excellent idea, but like most of the dark-ish maps, it misses some accentuation of its main features
screenshots goes up to 0016.jpg

deloras:
O_- this is just unbelievably huuuuge, it feels like you used twice the space than the rest of us, it took me ages to see everything... awesome work drawing me in there until i knew every corner. have to say it, it´s also the biggest gripe, it´s almost toooo detailed. there are some minor errors like one-pixel white stripes and some geometry that reminds me too much of q3, but other wise i´ll just leave you with the tip to compile with advanced model shadowing, so that some models don´t stay in the dark
screenshots goes up to 0022.jpg

grazr:
there is some dissonance between the room with the cp and the upper waterfall-hall, and i prefer the cp one. the whole waterfall construction and the rocky walkway down to the cp just don´t have the same quality and are a bit over the top of the over the top. you nailed a perfectly calm cp-room, i´d like to work there for an evil organization :D
some weird shadows and things i find weird are documented in the screenshots(the rock is a texture-glitch i keep getting since gorge)
screenshots goes up to 0028.jpg

grazr2:
...you can do better..., as seen above :)

icarus1:
hands down... this is the mother of all spytech cps, though not being very "original" in the choice of crafting something new, you nailed what spytech is about and improved it. the ventilation system that otherwise just plays a minor cosmetic role is one of my favorites, the other one is the cold air hovering at the point. only minor complaint is that the hallway around the center-romm feels empty compared to what shines inside

icarus2:
other than saying that your displacements-work still hangs a bit behind your other skills, i can´t find anything that would stop this one from entering my top5, i´d like to see more of that in your future projects. screenshots: weird side-parts of the gates, no one would build them like that in RL :)
screenshots goes up to 0030.jpg

jack:
call me blind, but i can´t find the control-point????? on that note, if wouldn´t have searched for it, i probably wouldn´t have seen the house on the top :/ unfortunately this entry feels like prop-stacking and misses the point that most of a maps detail comes from nice geometry and some interesting play with the lighting. other things that bothered me are listed in the screenshots
screenshots goes up to 0039.jpg

jack_one:
a big problem for me here is that tf2 loses it´s believability when you try to port it into an urban environment, things like the red building and the tunnel at the bottom of the building (screenshots) lose their appeal. there are some nice ideas here, but the room feels to big for the small amount of equipment it is used for.
screenshots goes up to 0007.jpg

jazz:
i love how you lit the satellite, i´d just wished it would stand higher in the sky and the cp wouldn´t disappear next to it. move it closer, light both equally strong and you got a blast of a cp. the small side-building could use some character, as it is, they just seem like blocks. some snow on the containers would have been nice, and the lamppost should not be lit by a generator when there is a power-station right next to it
screenshots goes up to 0044.jpg

martijntje:
orange, fast-paced hl2-water, texture-rotation, weird displacements, floating crates :/ feels rushed
screenshots goes up to 0049.jpg

menderza:
a very nice sawmill you got there going, i especially like the detail you put into the log-ramp with all the flowing water, and where wooden platforms connect to the displacement, as well as the blu material hanging down. no obvious flaws, i´m just not a big fan of the sawmill style.
screenshots goes up to 0054.jpg

mick:
... way too unfinished

obso1337:
there is too much "wasted" space filled with nothing, i´m not for cluttering, but having a small canvas like this, there are plenty of ways to build something of interest + snow missing on the windows & overlays way too large
screenshots goes up to 0003.jpg

owlruler:
when i go inside, i love the quirky pipage, it looks very fresh, and you using some slanted walls is actually nice, once i get outside, the hdr settings burn my eyes :/ since you mirrored the map, you could have done double the detailing in half the time. unfortunately the way it is now, it feels bland

owlruler2:
better than the first entry, but it lacks variety in colors and architecture, the rock in the middle could have formed a nice obelisk by putting it onto a displacement pedestal and maybe frame it with a railing or so

pitto:
the screenshot you provided doesn´t serve this baby right, it´s one of my favorites. except some props that feel forced (screenshot), some dark metal-sheet and those pipes that don´t lead anywhere inside the building, it´s an astonishing construction made of scrap-metal and planks :D implemented into a map i can imagine it being hard to maneuver up there without deathpitting :p
screenshots goes up to 0006.jpg

pureq1:
i can see what you were aiming for, and you got the basic buildings down, but it lacks life. the point itself is lower than the baseplate of the surrounding buildings, making it hardly noticeable though it should be presented stronger near the gallows. (p.s. why do people use that texture for roofs? i´ve never seen that in real life, it´s just odd :/ )
screenshots goes up to 0008.jpg

scorpio:
i honestly like it :D can´t find anything other than, compared to DBP´s map, this one is too well lit, it lacks some darker corners, defect lights, to give it the proper underground ambiance

sg:
hehe, the secret room is a neat idea.... but since this is a cpoint-contest, i wont judge that ... the point itself should deserve more than just being cramped into a corner :/ some prop_dynamics still have shadows on, some textures have the wrong orientation, and the slim walkway from spawn to the house is what it is, very slim. the clock is a nice piece of work :D walking around this entryi felt like some of the stones between the displacements... squeezed
screenshots goes up to 0012.jpg

sg2:
this one now is the best of the two, but there are also some texture-orientation issues, some weird architecture that no one would build and the floor texture just feels off. oh, the ground displacement alpha is a bit harsh (see screenshots)
screenshots goes up to 0019.jpg

spud:
not much to say, i <3 it, might steal an idea or two :p almost a too charming submission

stickzero:
man, that´s a fog-soup, a tad too much for my taste. what i found: lamps miss support, how would people get up there without explosives, fooooog, wood wouldn´t break that way :/ catchy and clear atmosphere you created there, looks fitting, but would be a hell to play
screenshots goes up to 0023.jpg

s-toaster:
urm.... eeehhh... hun? don´t be offended, but... wth? :D i smell clusterfuck once the elevator-doors open

tapp:
this is just too much experimental stuff for me :D it´s too cluttered, filled with too many obstacles :/ i like the building on top though :D

tpg:
under-lit in some places; no one could read the displays on top without ruining their eyes -> obsolete; weird from reflective to non-reflective; too much underused space and missed chances :/
screenshots goes up to 0028.jpg

vfig:
/eerieone is typing this while in his chair which magically sticks to the wall ...... brainf*** , very unique, but i can´t decide whether i like it or not, but be assured, you have my respect for not going crazy

void:
voidles, use that somewhere, i love the giant screen and the round elements that feel natural; some places might have been darker, giving more play to the small lights at the computers and the screen
screenshots

wiggles:
though playfully multi-layered, my eye doesn´t stick to anything in particular, feels like a trip through an abandoned office :(

ym:
as already mentioned somewhere, it´s solid, but nothing special :/ i like the use of the blue stripe, this feels fresh, the rest of the geometry feels rather rushed than crafted

PEW!! /patching fingers with band-aid
Great work everyone :)

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
eerieone, that is one huuuuuge model i made because i was hitting the 2048².
it's not some random empty view !!! :D
one day you gotta teach me how to tweak the bad shadows ! watch out for real maps....hahaha, just kidding !!

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
Hey guys, don't forget to check out Casanova's entry, too. It's named wrongly (cppoint instead of cpoint), so I guess a lot of people missed it.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_jack
4 | cpoint_icarus2
3 | cpoint_eerione
2 | cpoint_deloras
1 | cpoint_grazr

Deloras

L2: Junior Member
Aug 20, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_Icarus1
4 | cpoint_eerieone
3 | cpoint_jazz
2 | cpoint_vfig
1 | cpoint_void

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_deloras
4 | cpoint_eerione
3 | cpoint_pitto
2 | cpoint_icarus1
1 | cpoint_grazar

Great job everyone, very hard for me to pick my 5 favorites, they all had something great about them. I spend almost 2 hours looking at all these, really enjoyed it. Everyone has improved alot since the swamp contest. Thanks everyone for these.

Also, not a huge deal but some people might miss casanovas because either him, or whoever put together the pack with all the maps, his file name is cppoint_casanova. Hopefully people notice that extra p.

Last edited:

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_spud1
4 | cpoint_icarus1
3 | cpoint_icarus2
2 | cpoint_eerieone
1 | cpoint_acumen

Wiggles?!

L1: Registered
Jul 29, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_eerieone
4 | cpoint_spud1
3 | cpoint_sg2
2 | cpoint_icarus2
1 | cpoint_martijntje

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_spud
4 | cpoint_eerieone
3 | cpoint_icarus1
2 | cpoint_deloras
1 | cpoint_supertoaster

Spud: Whilst your map is not the prettiest, i find the scenario you created to be one the best executed. It was certainly one of my top 5, and as it turns out ordering these 5 for scoring.. it's the top of those 5 too.

Eerie: I have to admit i am not a fan of your past works, your displacements are sloppy and your maps are generally disproportionate. But you've shown in this detail contest that you are improving your style. Your scene is pleasent but what is quite nice is that you've made a pretty scene with not a great deal of content, which is the sign of a good execution. That said, the sparks were not necassery (a blemish on a decent execution).

Icarus: I didn't really want to vote for this because you have abused a lot of "cheap" methods to make your map appear pretty (which made it no better than the poorly made entries), but at the same time i cannot deny your attention to the spytech theme. Your computers are well placed and your outter corridor is very cool. But your inner computer room is a mess of spotlights and particle effects. Your entry is generally too detailed and visually chaotic and so i could not give it a higher mark than i think it could have otherwise easily achieved/deserved.

Deloras: Your map gets a 2 from shere effort. some interesting computer model combinations. Ultimately your map was too big, you practically built an entire base with multiple rooms that didn't seem necassery, but you did quite well to achieve the spytech theme. I felt the need to give it some points for what you had produced.

Super: Your map is amusing, the outside could have been more TF2 themed but your inside had an alternative attention to detail than others. Your ceiling for example (which is presumably a subdivided displacement?) is a very nice touch.

P.S.
I voted for the quality and how well-thought out the detail was, not than the size of the rooms. Several entries looked nice, but didn't feel like a Control Point. It is important to keep to the goal of this contest, rather than making a pretty room and sticking a CP model in some random corner.

It was my understanding (from what the rules stated, that) the map did not need to be functional in a gameplay or mechanical function. I didn't feel any map had a CP merely thrown in a corner, besides one where i couldn't find it at all. But your opinion is your opinion and your vote is cast. I only say this because i feel you reference one of my maps where i may have been over artisticly zealous, but at the end of the day i made a cp scene.

Last edited:

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_deloras
4 | cpoint_icarus2
3 | cpoint_pitto
2 | cpoint_vfig
1 | cpoint_jazz
Vfig, you must tell me how you made that earth!

pitto

L3: Member
Feb 17, 2009
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_void
4 | cpoint_icarus2
3 | cpoint_eerieone
2 | cpoint_purequaternion1
1 | cpoint_spud1

Very good effort by all entries, it was definitely hard to choose which were my top 5. I would particularly like to point out that some entries suffered from over detailing while others suffered from under detailing getting this balance is quite important for things to look natural while not being too distracting to the player, and I am definitely no expert on doing this either.

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Points | Entry
5 | cpoint_grazr1
4 | cpoint_icarus1
3 | cpoint_scorpiouprising
2 | cpoint_eerieone
1 | cpoint_deloras

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009