Contest idea thread!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not entirely sure how that would educate lesser mappers, especially when the more complicated stuff will just get lumped onto the more experienced participants anyway. Not to mention, speaking from experience, even a collab with 1 other person is awkward as hell, especially when their skill level is well below yours. You end up spending more time fixing their mistakes than you do creating new content.

If mappers want to get better, practice makes perfect. You wont learn any other way.

Citizen Snips

L3: Member
Apr 8, 2010
We should have a contest that focuses on uniqueness and originality; while gameplay would definitely factor in greatly, the majority of it would be on how different it is from the desert/industrial norm.

TF2 really needs to work on its variety.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Attack/Defend CP contest. Ambiguity means more fun.

Nov 14, 2009
How about 3 stage CP?

They are my favorite to play, but must be pretty hard to make.

Also, I would like the next contest not to be symmetrical: I am so tired of copying and pasting geometry, then re-texturing...

Another thing: I dislike minor contests. Make it a minor contest that can be used in the major one

How about a blocking out one? Just one month, no textures besides dev and nodraw. Just make the best layout possible for the gamemode for the next major contest. Then give people free reign for that one.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Attack/Defend CP contest. Ambiguity means more fun.

a/d would be nice, i have a (very basic) concept floating around somewhere already.

Though i wonder where i should get the time, working in a mod team and stuff...

Nov 14, 2009
IDK how well that would work, though...

It would be kinda hard to judge. Also, some types of maps take longer to make than others, creating un-fairness, and forcing people to choose certain types of maps if they want to come out finished.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
IDK how well that would work, though...

It would be kinda hard to judge. Also, some types of maps take longer to make than others, creating un-fairness, and forcing people to choose certain types of maps if they want to come out finished.

I think we could operate with different deadlines. Like opening an Arena/KOTH/CTF (or something like that) submission thread 2 weeks early and a TC/3 stage submission thread 2 weeks late.

Of course the example I provided is badly thought out in terms of time, but it could probably work. Those who have to turn it in early can just get on with their other projects.

Nov 14, 2009
Put in my vote for a 3 stage CP.

Also, I do like the idea of any type of TC: it would add a twist to an extremely stagnant mode.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
I don't think a twist is what TC needs.

Remnic

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2009
I thought about a Team oriented TC contest where teams of 4-6 people would design a TC map (1 person designs an area, another designs another area right next to the first one and the two manage the accessibility of each area) by following objectives (Ex: Vanilla (No textures/models/entities from post-Goldrush Update), competitive, CP only, invade CTF/PLR not allowed, etc.).

Feb 17, 2009
I thought about a Team oriented TC contest where teams of 4-6 people would design a TC map (1 person designs an area, another designs another area right next to the first one and the two manage the accessibility of each area) by following objectives (Ex: Vanilla (No textures/models/entities from post-Goldrush Update), competitive, CP only, invade CTF/PLR not allowed, etc.).

This sounds kind of cool. I dont like the part about the ''only pre-glodrush update textures'' though. :closedeyes:

Remnic

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2009
This sounds kind of cool. I dont like the part about the ''only pre-glodrush update textures'' though. :closedeyes:

Thankfully that wouldn't be as silly as my PLR/KOTH gamemode idea.:O