Choke Advice

Should I make this map Frontline-themed?

• Total voters

RevolutionTeam

L4: Comfortable Member
May 19, 2019
Hi! I'm working on a payload map with an Urban theme. I built a small building near the first point, and I just want to get some opinions on it. For reference, a sentry covers the whole building, and there is setup time.

PLEASE DISREGARD THE FLOATING BITS AND THE BLU SPAWN, THOSE ARE TO BE CONSTRUCTED AND TEMPORARY.

20190707185740_1.jpg
20190707185722_1.jpg
20190707185714_1.jpg

If you need any extra pictures, let me know!

Thewtus

L1: Registered
Jul 22, 2016
These are just my suggestions, you don't have to follow them if you don't want to:

This choke really needs more entrances into the building for attackers, add at least 2 more routes to get in. These routes should be able to flank the sentry spots so attackers are not required to uber when pushing through. Make the building a little bit bigger just to make sure it's not too tight. Also, the covers on the stairs may make the building a little too tight. You may want to raise the central doorway so that someone standing on top of the cart can get through.

The building looks symmetrical which is boring in both gameplay and visual, make one of the sides different from the other. Some ammo and health in/outside the building for both sides would also help.

RevolutionTeam

May 19, 2019
I added some ammo (Medium on one side, full on the other) and some health (Full on one side, medium on the other). There's also a flank route around the sides, which allows for an entrance on the cart's exit side.

That being said, I agree with you when it comes to the sides. Maybe I'll fill one with Hydro water barrels...

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I'd recommend taking cues from other maps that do similar things. Borneo puts A in a shed that's easily covered by a sentry, but also provides Blue with a route that allows sightlines onto the main sentry position (and good cover for peeking sentries as well). Barnblitz A gives an upper route into its shed that can be used by either team, and even allows sneakier Blue players to bypass A entirely.

I'd also be a bit cautious with sightlines. Make sure either the track before and/or after the choke makes a turn so that you can't see from one part of the map into the next so easily. Maybe you already plan on doing this and just haven't developed the map that far yet.

Battiste

Jul 7, 2019
Few things I would say is first. Maybe change the entrance from red site so it isnt symmetrical. It can help with the sight line too. Maybe after the cap make the cart turn. Also maybe get a another entrance to there too.

Also something I would recommend is that if you have a small and not too long sight line to the possible sentry spot. Like for example in the last picture. Maybe try to open the other side up little bit too what is opposite of the sentry spot

seanji

Jan 13, 2019
To add to what Idolon suggested, you can also break sightlines by varying the height of the level. Height variation is always good, and can be used to balance the effectiveness of certain routes

RevolutionTeam

May 19, 2019
So, I've decided to do several things:

1: Moved the BLU spawn back and up a hill.

20190709193654_1.jpg

2: Used displacements to give clear shots at sentries.

20190709193702_1.jpg

3: I made an alternate route for the next point, so that this fiasco doesn't happen again.

20190709193712_1.jpg

Here's what the alternate route leads you to.

20190709193741_1.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

Battiste

Jul 7, 2019
Honestly quite nice changes you have done but im just wondering in the last pic is the the small drop down only 1 way down or can you get up from there?

RevolutionTeam

May 19, 2019
It's a one way down drop.