Can we have a height limit on signatures please?

Hotel Detective

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 10, 2014
For the most part I believe signatures are quite good on this site, most are only one or two lines
Is there any reason signatures should be bare to non-existant? Besides personal preference I (personally) don't see why people can't add a little flourish to their signatures?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Size is the complaint. Bareness is not the desire, compactness is.
There's no reason a signature that's small (vertically) can't be packed with personal expression and flourish.

The option to remove signatures all together is nice, but it removes the useful and small ones along with the big superfluous ones.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
It's just taking up screen space for arguably nothing useful.
I think people have a right to have the space occupied by their post to not be meaningful content. However, I don't think it matches the ideals of this community.

***not that I know anything about the community's ideals***

SC PL

local shitposter
aa
Jun 25, 2015
I sat on this for a while to see how I felt about it and I've got bunch of new things to say:

I'd like to request a ban on quote blocks in signatures, They're rarely useful, and add way more space than just using quotation marks. Usually they're ok, but at current we're dealing with this from @SC PL:
forumproblems.JPG

I keeping this quotes, because there automatically abbreviated (Like in image in quote). If there wasn't abbreviated, I'll remove them due of covering whole page

But if for you guys are annoying, I can always remove them

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I do not believe that a single signature on this forum contains any content worthy of a 'click to expand' button.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well you've shaved 125 pixels off your signature by making it all one block quote, which is an undeniable improvement, but I'd still have lumped it's current form into the "far too big" category.

Another thing that @Geit might be able to assist with is collapsing block quotes again after they've been opened.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
In all honesty that massive quote block wasn't even funny or necessary in the first place

Just seems to be one of those things that always show up in forums, I guess. Along with necroposts, bumps, etc.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
(sidenote: the content of Snicker's quote is questionably inappropriate for anywhere other than the off topic board where rules are more lax)

Well, I'm going to change my signature quote to this now. It's more appropriate for all boards, more compact, and (imo) funny out-of-context.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well you're not wrong, but by quoting it using a block quote instead of quotation marks you're linking to the context ;)

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
How's this? Compared to (I used Swordfish's height of 80px):

074c91062d.png

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I guess I'm offering signature critique now, heh

It's better Berry but it still suffers in several areas:
  • The drop shadow on 'Map Showcase' is faaaaaar too far from the main text and makes it hard to read
  • 'Map Showcase' looks like a link but isn't, yet it's the main visual thing and most obvious place to click
  • The actual links are small and below the image which relegates their importance to minimal
  • Because the links are done as text rather than subsections of the image like Swordfish's, your signature is actually bigger
  • The alignment isn't consistent:
    • The pokemon are vertically central to the image, but the links are text, so there's more space below the pokemon than above
    • The pokemon are vertically central but 'Map Showcase' is bottom aligned
    • 'Map Showcase' doesn't appear to be centred horizontally properly between the pokemon
    • 'Map Showcase' isn't centered horizontally to the links below it

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
@YM, what critiques do you have on my signature now?

I've made plenty of changes, and I hope you will like them.