BLOG Update

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
Eh the new menu needs getting used to. I'm okay with it for now.

On the other hand they farked up my game's resolution. My desktop runs at a lower resolution, but I had the game running 1920 x 1080. With the update, it forces the resolution to my desktop's (they called it "native"), even if I changed it successfully, it won't register when I boot up TF2 again. I made an autoexec as a workaround thankfully.

I also tried playing with bots in dustbowl, and apparently blu's Engineer likes to troll people.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1806760/cp_dustbowl0000.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1806760/cp_dustbowl0001.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1806760/cp_dustbowl0002.jpg

STUCK TEAM IS BAD TEAM

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
On the other hand they farked up my game's resolution. My desktop runs at a lower resolution, but I had the game running 1920 x 1080. With the update, it forces the resolution to my desktop's (they called it "native"), even if I changed it successfully, it won't register when I boot up TF2 again.
I've heard this complaint before; how can the game run at a higher resolution than your screen? And does it actually look better that way?

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
On the other hand they farked up my game's resolution. My desktop runs at a lower resolution, but I had the game running 1920 x 1080. With the update, it forces the resolution to my desktop's (they called it "native"), even if I changed it successfully, it won't register when I boot up TF2 again. I made an autoexec as a workaround thankfully.

Use the launch options -w and -h (I think you can guess what they do.)

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I've heard this complaint before; how can the game run at a higher resolution than your screen? And does it actually look better that way?

It just resizes the resolution when you boot up the game (I play fullscreen). My desktop's resolution is actually lower than what my monitor can handle, since I'm not comfortable with small icons and fonts etc.

I just want to play my games at a higher resolution at 1920 x 1080 which is my monitor's preferred resolution (any other resolution will be a little blurrier than the preferred resolution). When you exit the game, it'll revert back to your desktop's resolution.

What your computer can handle and prefers to are dependent on the graphics card and monitor.

Back on topic, I'm not sure whether Valve found this out yet (seems not as it's not fixed after two patches).

Use the launch options -w and -h (I think you can guess what they do.)

Oh, I tried that definitely. The game doesn't care, it just goes back to that 'native' resolution. I semi-fixed that by making an autoexec.cfg file that resizes the resolution on startup.

Bob Ross

L3: Member
Jun 16, 2009
i dont hate the new menu because its new i hate it because its hideous, cluttered, and i feel like its yelling at me. it has popup windows for gods sake.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
Does anyone know if you have to actually start TF2 on a Mac to get the earbuds, or do you just have to sign into Steam with a TF2-associated account? I'm currently downloading TF2 on my grandfather's Mac, but it looks like it might take longer than the couple hours we have available to wait. The site says log into TF2 to get the earbuds, so I'm guessing I do have to install and start the game...

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Does anyone know if you have to actually start TF2 on a Mac to get the earbuds, or do you just have to sign into Steam with a TF2-associated account? I'm currently downloading TF2 on my grandfather's Mac, but it looks like it might take longer than the couple hours we have available to wait. The site says log into TF2 to get the earbuds, so I'm guessing I do have to install and start the game...

Sign in with a TF2 account in-game

Basically, so into a server and get killed. Instant buds.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
You know there ARE modifications already that remove the menu changes...

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
I just want the notes on the backpack to go away. Every damn time, a little pop up window comes up telling me what the backpack is.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
I just want the notes on the backpack to go away. Every damn time, a little pop up window comes up telling me what the backpack is.

You have to click through the whole thing I think. Then it stays away.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Did you let it give you its entire message? It might just want to make sure you read the whole thing.

damn ninjaaaas

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
No, no matter what you do it happens every time. Or at least every time you start the game again. Same with the "We've added a tutorial! Go play it naows!" message. I think something is broken.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
i dont hate the new menu because its new i hate it because its hideous, cluttered, and i feel like its yelling at me. it has popup windows for gods sake.

So does the normal Source menu?

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Unrelated to this update's annoying menu stuff: How the hell do it I get it to stop pushing the map-intro videos on me for every single map? Even when I sit through them, they keep comin' back.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Unrelated to this update's annoying menu stuff: How the hell do it I get it to stop pushing the map-intro videos on me for every single map? Even when I sit through them, they keep comin' back.
Same response as to last guy, except this one I know. If a map is in tf\media\viewed.res the video won't autoplay. See if you have it read-only (assuming it got wiped somehow).