black texture help

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fietsendief, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Fietsendief

Fietsendief L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I get sometimes black textures afther compiling. How is that possible? What do I do wrong and is deleting and builing the brush or prob again the onl solution?

2. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have screenshots of that? We cant tell what it is until we see it ;)

3. Fietsendief

Positive Ratings:
    yeah I have one, but where can I upload it easily without all the registrating **** ?

4. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Fietsendief

Positive Ratings:
  6. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    You need to compile vrad with -staticproppolys

the "black texture" is the result of bad lighting due to the roof prop you used.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Or is it model texture?

8. Fietsendief

Positive Ratings:
    So if this noob knows what you mean ;) it's gone if I compile "long" instead of fast?

@FaTony - know its not, its just the same stone texture as underneed the roof.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  9. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VRAD

That will help you out. What Icarus is saying is that the Roof model you've got on top is borking the lighting around it, making everything pitch black, so it's not a texture problem, but a rendering one. The command -staticproppolys fixes that by performing extra shadow tests at prop_statics, which creates higher quality shadows that aren't.. broken.

As far as I know. I would love to be corrected.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Fietsendief

Positive Ratings:
    Okay I'll try that when I'm back from franch, hopefully I'm able to fix it, because the tf wiki text is prity difficult for me :blushing: but the map is almost finished and my head is overloading with new ideas :p

11. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Valve removed model textures from the texture browser several months ago. This will never be an issue again.

---

Alternatively, to resolve this issue, you can just turn the prop shadows off. A lot of props (such as the rubble and mining tracks) don't have collision meshes and as such render shadows according to the bounding box. Thus causing huge ugly shadows that cover large areas that otherwise should not be in shadow.

The command they gave you causes vrad (the lighting executable) to pay extra attention to prop shapes. This will result in a longer compile time, but should resolve your issue if you want really detailed shadows. Due to the longer compile times this command is usually saved for release candidate versions of maps to save time in the development process. Turning off a props shadow is the simplest and easiest resolution, whilst alternatively the extra compile command will give your map more accurate shadows at he cost of compile time (and possibly a larger .bsp file size).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  12. Fietsendief

Positive Ratings:
    @grazr - okay that sounds easier ;) and the shadows there are not realy necessary for the map, its more outside decoration.

13. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, are shadows primarily rendered off collision meshes?