Black Mesa

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
One of the things i enjoyed about HL1 was how it rewarded curiosity. It's almost pointless smashing crates as only 5% of them seem to actually drop anything and i can only remember once how looking in a corner behind some solid crates actually rewarded me with some batteries whilst every other time there were no secret stashes. I felt like that was a big part of HL1 being fun, how sometimes it was like a treasure hunt for ammo for your strongest weapons or batteries, etc.

Well I remember someone saying that he found a secret stash of health and ammo after being picked up by a Barnacle and then dropped down onto a hidden platform after killing it. No idea where it is though.

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
Well I remember someone saying that he found a secret stash of health and ammo after being picked up by a Barnacle and then dropped down onto a hidden platform after killing it. No idea where it is though.

I think its at the start of Blast Pit when the scientist talks about the Tenticles. If you let it grab you up and kill it before it eats you, you can land ontop of a hidden area that has ammo, an HEV recharger and a health recharger

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Call me a die hard fan, now i didn't expect it to be a 100% faithful replica of HL1, but some things just throw me off. You don't get the crowbar until way later than HL1, as with the pistol.
I kept thinking I had missed the crowbar and backtracking through zombie-infested hallways I had already legged it past, looking for it. I was not happy when it finally turned up further on. And guess what else: thanks to a guard following me for a ways and then getting killed by a headcrab, I managed to procure a gun before I ever got to the crowbar. Talk about breaking flow!

Also the iron sights on the revolver is just weird. It keeps making me think i have iron sights on my other weapons and keep accidently firing grenades with the AR. I also don't recommend using the ironsights at all since the gun takes up 75% of your FoV and (ironically) doesn't seem to be as accurate. I'm not sure why they bothered with it at all since the iron sights don't actually improve your weapons accuracy like standard modern FPS iron sights mechanics.
Not to mention it's barely even an ironsight. I thought the point was for there to actually be a thing that points at where the bullet is going, but this is a tiny little bar along the top of the gun that doesn't even line up with the shot. The bullets actually go in the gap to the right of it, in my experience.

I get the feeling it was included more as a troll than a real feature. As a way of saying, "You console kiddies like ironsights, do ya? Here's your fucking ironsight! It makes the game even harder to play!"

Oct 6, 2008
I Finished the game but got absolutely pissed off that they DIDN'T DO ZEN! Unless I missed it somehow - I jumped into the teleporter and saw end credits? Did I do something wrong? I mean that was a great battle sequence but really????

WTF 1/3 the game is missing!

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
I Finished the game but got absolutely pissed off that they DIDN'T DO ZEN! Unless I missed it somehow - I jumped into the teleporter and saw end credits? Did I do something wrong? I mean that was a great battle sequence but really????

WTF 1/3 the game is missing!

They already stated that they were going to release Xen later on when it was finished, it's much MUCH larger than in the original and completely redone, so they released the game up to that point so people could finally play it.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
And guess what else: thanks to a guard following me for a ways and then getting killed by a headcrab, I managed to procure a gun before I ever got to the crowbar. Talk about breaking flow!

I managed to do this in HL1 because the gaurd at the start of Unforseen Consequences actually gets revived by the scientist, but in BM the gaurds don't seem to actually drop guns until you get the pistol. IIRC i actually had grenades and a shotgun before i had the pistol.

JeanPaul

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 5, 2010
Only the gaming community could play a free game that took 8 years to complete only to complain that a few levels are missing lulz.