Assignment Frenzy #2: Voting

Who managed to make a magnificent tunnel? Pick all your favorites

• Total voters

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I really don't know what to say. Perhaps if I was a different person I would just leave a picture of Picard here, but I'll spell it out instead.

and yes, depending on which class one chose to explore your map depended on how successful the maps interactivity worked. Such as laying stickies on moving platforms, double jumping or placing buildings.

Stickies? Double jump? What do they have to do with anything? There is no need for stickies and they do not stick to brush entities anyway. Nothing needs double jump either, and if you do fall from the final moving tile a double jump isn't enough to reach anyway. I have admitted that I could have done the last tile better, but I was in a hurry and it was no way meant to be class-ist. I think I ended up going through the map as every class but spy by the time I submitted it.

When the area around the clock started disintergrating i panicked and laid down a dispenser and jumped onto it so i wouldn't die and got stuck in the middle of nowhere. You left it down to chance that people would get to the clock and stay there rather than jump off in the confusion or not notice until too late that the middle was actually safe and wouldn't also break apart (i thought this was the end of your map but it turns out there was 1 more bit).
No, actually I didn't leave it to chance. Despite the fact every place the player can fall into darkness has a teleporter that takes them back up to the area they fell from, I didn't want that to happen unintentionally. The instant the floor starts breaking away, the player is put into zero gravity so they cannot fall, and there are gentle pushes that float them towards the safety of the center, at which point the gravity would return. It is entirely your fault for assuming you had to "make yourself safe". If it was the end of the map and I intended the player to fall into darkness, well, you would have just ruined it for yourself by not "going with the flow" of the story.

I also stopped to look around at the corridor that broke apart, as it broke apart, and got stuck because i had no momentum to reach the end. So i nocliped to the next section (perhaps i just didn't wait long enough to be pushed by something but i didn't really wanna sit around in the void and wait to find out).
I wanted people to stop. That was the desired reaction to the hallway. But once again, the player is put into zero grav once the breaking occurs, and it is restored when the ceiling finishes rotating down to become the floor. No momentum is required, and no waiting beyond the full length of the "cinematic" is required.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, everything is my fault. Nothing is wrong with your map. You are the infallable boojum and even if there was a mistake it'd automatically not be a mistake because it is you.

Generally when one plays a computer game or "interactive story" the idea is to survive and not allow yourself to fall into death pits if you can help it. I really don't see how the fact that i managed to avoid falling into what was presumably a death pit (but was instead a teleporter (which i couldn't possibly know in advance about)) is my fault rather than an issue with the map.

It doesn't even matter, i didn't use these small issues when considering who to vote for, they were just observations so i really don't see why you need to be so passive aggressive about it. Sticky jumping and placing buildings to avoid falling into pits breaks the flow of your map, i don't see what this has to do with me as an individual.

As for the rotating corridor i just remembered incorrectly, it was the first map i played so forgive me, i hadn't actually no clipped through that section. I just happened to get stuck in a lot of maps and so many maps randomly killed you or punished you for venturing into certain areas, many of them for arbitrary reasons. Either way, as i said, these issues weren't even considered when i voted for people.

EDIT: and i looks like you won anyway so my opinion shouldn't even matter :/

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
If this pointless argument is going to continue, take it to PM.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I don't think that's necassery. By the time Ravidge announces the next assignment, which i believe will be in a couple hours, nobody will care anymore.

Everyone did a good job.

Last edited: