72-Hour Mapping Contest #2 - Starting 27.06

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Oh jeez. I forget how I fixed it. I'll go through Steam Support and see if my old tickets are still there and see if it reminds me how I fixed it.

Edit: Leminnes, here's what I went through.

Step 1: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7579-RPSX-6098
Hoop 2: Please do the following: Start Steam, but do not yet log in. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open the Task Manager. Select the Processes tab. Find Steam.exe, then right-click on it and select Set Priority... Set the priority to Above Normal, then click OK for the disclaimer dialog. Once you have done so, please try logging into Steam.
Facepalm 3: Jacob wants to let me know that they're aware of the issue.
Jump 4: Please ensure that your client rates are not set too high - try using the following safe defaults:

cl_cmdrate 30
cl_updaterate 20
rate 30000

Then re-test the issue.

Somewhere along the lines, something worked. If none of this works, maybe I had changed computers shortly after and that fixed it >.>

If all else fails, reinstall Steam.

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I've been having a bit of an issue with the VAC servers not being contacted and disconnecting me. So it might be a bit difficult for me to do this contest as I won't be able to compile and look at my map along the way. So that would be obnoxious.

I may still try, though, if it doesn't get fixed before the contest.

I had this too, but it went away after a couple of hours. I chalked it up as steam VAC servers being really overloaded with the influx of players.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
I had this too, but it went away after a couple of hours. I chalked it up as steam VAC servers behind really overloaded with the influx of players.

Yeah, it seems to be working now after the player numbers had died down. Hope it stays this way.

I'll give it a go. Is there anywhere we can reserve map names prior to the contest starting?

The main post tells you what the maps have to be named in order to be in the contest.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I'm really torn between what I should do, I felt like doing something easy but I figure everyones gonna be doing some form of Koth/CTF map. I'd attempt a PL or something but that would quite literally kill me.

Well whatever I do, I'll be livestreaming. Frozen said he had a list or something.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
@Leminnes
I had the same thing for a couple of hours as well, just came back next day and it all worked again.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
We might as well just rename the contest to 72h KOTH :O

well tbh its an old idea i'd like to squeeze into those 3 days.

we've had a plr layout done in 3 hours, an arena in 2 and im sure there is more speedmapping that i havent witnessed so theres no real need to rename anything.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
well tbh its an old idea i'd like to squeeze into those 3 days.

we've had a plr layout done in 3 hours, an arena in 2 and im sure there is more speedmapping that i havent witnessed so theres no real need to rename anything.

Arena done in 1:42... thank you very much. And it was damn good.

EDIT: Nerdboy did Kanye in 2.5 hrs iirc....

Its very possible for someone to pump out the basic layout of a map by the end of the day, unless your doing TC, or multistage.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I'm gonna make a map with 3 CPs like a real iron mapper

The Cafe scienced this and discovered that 3CP maps all have their main problem in the gamemode: once the middle is captured, it's either too easy to spycap the final point, or too hard to even try. To make it feasible the middle would have to be constantly changing hands.