72-Hour Mapping Contest #2 - Starting 27.06

Discussion in 'Contests' started by luxatile, Jun 25, 2011.

1. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

It's time for the (now annual) 72 Hour Contest! What's it all about? Why, it's very simple: You've got 72 hours from the starting time - go make a map!
    ...Well, come to think of it, you should probably read this thread first.

DURATION
    IT'S ON! GO! GO! GO!
    Start: MONDAY JUNE 27TH - 7 PM CENTRAL EUROPEAN SUMMER TIME Click to check this in your time zone!
    End: THURSDAY JUNE 30TH - 7 PM CENTRAL EUROPEAN SUMMER TIME Click to check this in your time zone!

RULES
    • Respect the time limit! You may NOT start making your map in Hammer in ANY way shape or form before it starts. We cannot effectively restrict this, but take this into consideration; This contest is meant to challenge your skills at working effectively and quickly coming up with good solutions. If you cheat, you're only demonstrating your own lousyness to yourself. That doesn't feel good.
    • You MUST have the map done and submitted before the time runs out. This is very important, because there is no "grace period". Done means done.
    • Any physical size and mode is allowed.
    • You cannot use an already-started map or assets from it. However, you can begin sketching out a layout and planning before the contest begins. If you have an old vmf lying around that you want to use, you'll have to remake it from scratch.
    • Maps must be able to spawn 32 players (16 per team).
    • Any amount of detail is allowed. However, it's a good idea to concentrate on gameplay and making sure everything works in time for the deadline.
    • No collaborations are allowed!
    • Custom content is allowed, but only if it's made entirely by yourself using your own resources OR it's made by someone else who has already made it available to the public. However, please remember that very large file sizes are unnecessary and very annoying to download, so keep your map small by avoiding too much custom content.
    • You are allowed to use A Boojum Snark's resource library and other such packs and prefabs, such as the lighting library.
    • New this year: You can test with other players. However, there will be no scheduled testing event for these contest maps before it ends.
    • Your submission MUST follow this naming convention: <gamemode>_<nickname>_72 (You don't have to use your full forum name, but make sure it's recognisable as your map. For instance, I would name mine cp_muffin_72). For multiple entries (or if your map last year had the same name), append a number at the end of it (i.e. cp_muffin_72_2).
      Last year we had a lot of maps that did not follow this convention. That won't be tolerated this year.
    • You may submit as many entries as you want, but you'll have to judge for yourself whether this is wise. Further submission rules will be laid out in the submission thread, opening on Tuesday.

STREAMING
    It's sort of a tradition now to stream the working progress of your map. This is completely optional. Frozen has made a list of people who will be streaming their work. If you want to be on the list, read his post for details.

JUDGEMENT PROCEDURE
    After the submission deadline, maps will be tested thoroughly and regularly on our official servers. Stick around in the Steam chat to make sure you can catch some of these tests.

A voting thread will be made a short while after testing has begun, and the winner will be decided that way. More details will be supplied in that thread.

PRIZES
    1ST PLACE will receive:
    Steam game(s) OR TF2 item(s) worth up to 10€*!
    Frozen Synapse, a strategy game for Steam, donated by Okrag!
    2ND PLACE will receive:
    Steam game(s) OR TF2 item(s) worth up to 10€*!
    3RD PLACE will receive:
    A Dr's Dapper Topper, from me!

*I'll be personally paying for the prizes, so no matter what the price is in your currency, I can only buy it for you if its price in Euros isn't above the limit. Games that cost a certain amount of Euros often cost the same amount of US dollars.

I'm sorry I can't spare a lot of money for the prize pot. If anyone else would like to donate something to get the incentive up (say, a hat or some spare Steam game you have lying about), feel free, but I'm not expecting this, so don't worry about it.

• Thanks Thanks x 20
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    awesome :) i'll gladly like to help and put some stuff (a hat or two) and a copy of half-life 2 in the price pot if you want?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I will gladly donate a Bombing Run and/or a Buckaroos hat.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    I'll totally participate, but nothing good will come from this. xD

5. ANova

ANova L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'll do this

6. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    I'll gladly take the 10 euro game from you...

But seriously, what better way of celebrating the end of exams than spending 72 mapping? My entry will no doubt suck (I'll get caught up in half-assed detailing, I know it), but hopefully I can get a working map done.

7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in. Have a friend visiting from out of town... and I have research. But I'll do it.

Are we allowed to draw up a layout before hand?

8. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in. I enjoyed last year, even though at the time I wasn't all that experienced with detailing so it kinda restricted my efforts.

I need to decide what gamemode I'm going to do.

9. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Yup, you can plan and sketch before the contest begins.

10. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I would do this if it wasn't in the middle of the god damned work week

Some of us are adults, you know

• Thanks Thanks x 8
  11. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm surprised the contest is now - most signs pointed towards it starting in mid july in the discussion thread.
    That said, it might motivate me to get my assignment out of the way so I can have time to participate, so thanks!

12. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah why are we doing this in the middle of the week :/

13. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
  14. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Would it be ok to make "detail tests" if we are trying out a theme but want to nail down what it looks like before the contest starts?

15. Omnomnick

Omnomnick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm just glad my last exam was on Friday, and now I'm mostly concentrating on mapping. Chill can wait a few more days while I break to do this contest.

16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Hmmmmmm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    http://forums.tf2maps.net/showpost.php?p=233542&postcount=42

I also posed this question in the chat and a grand total of one person indicated that they thought it was a bad idea. Sorry guys, it's been settled.

TPG: I'd count that as "planning or sketching" I suppose, just don't actually directly copy+paste anything from your detailing ideas. Not one brush nor entity. Ok?

18. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Because nobody said not to and because that's not a problem.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. h3r1n6

h3r1n6 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Will be entering with something. Although I can't make up my mind what I want to do.

20. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It would always be in the middle of something