10 Day Contest ($500 in prizes)

Sep 19, 2010
Main Thread | Uploads

Tired of that map you've been working on for awhile? Ready to push it aside for something new and shiny? Let's be honest, finishing maps is boring...Well, at least it is if it takes too long. Not to worry, I'm only giving you 10 days.

That's right, 10 days to make a map start to finish.

Important dates

Rules
  • Your map must be "finished"
    • "Finished" means in a working state (fully lit, no bugs)
    • Dev textures are ok
  • Your map should run without any server modifications/plugins.
  • MVM is not allowed.
  • Your map must be uploaded to the upload thread before the deadline. There will not be a grace period.
  • No collaboration.

Judging
  • Judging will be in 2 rounds.
  • During each round, maps will be given a score from 1 to 5 (rounded to the nearest tenth).
    • This score is for the map overall. There will not be individual scores for gameplay, aesthetics, etc.
  • Round 1
    • During round 1 the map pool will be narrowed down to 5-10 maps (depending on number of entries) by popular vote.
    • This will be over the course of multiple days (depending on number of entries) and voting will occur on my stream.
  • Round 2
    • The remaining maps will be judged by two groups:
      • Community (by voting on stream) - 40%
      • Me + Panel of judges (to be announced at a later date) - 60%
    • In the event of a tie, the judges will decide the winner.
Prizes
  • 1st Place - $250
  • 2nd Place - $150
  • 3rd Place - $100
Cash prizes will be paid through PayPal or Visa gift card. Alternatively, TF2 items or a Steam gift card can be awarded if desired.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Any rules regarding custom assets? Could we start making assets now or should that happen within contest time?

Sep 19, 2010
Any rules regarding custom assets? Could we start making assets now or should that happen within contest time?
You can make custom assets now. You can sketch a layout and create the logic for your map. Really the main thing is not laying down any brushwork until the contest begins.

Sep 19, 2010
Posted this in the Discord, but posting here as well for visibility:

To clarify, I'm not expecting the next Badwater. I understand a map built in 10 days isn't going to be perfectly balanced or detailed. The way I'm viewing it is essentially two 72hr contests, that's why the contest stretches 2 weekends. One weekend for layout, one for detailing. It's a big ask, but I've seen some incredible maps created in just one weekend, so I know it's possible. I completely understand why some people don't want to enter. One 72hr jam can be exhausting enough, let alone two. But I hope some people think it sounds fun and want to give it a shot.

Lem Mem

L3: Member
Nov 1, 2020
I may participate. To make you angry I will be making pl_badwater2, the OFFICIAL sequel to badwater..

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I may participate. To make you angry I will be making pl_badwater2, the OFFICIAL sequel to badwater..
Quick! Someone make Lem Mem angry by doing pl_badwat3r, the FAR SUPERIOR AND STILL VERY OFFICIAL successor to the previous sequel

...I'd do it, but I'm moving soon. I'd need to get all my affairs in order, PLUS finish everything already on the backburner, before I even attempt starting something new. Good luck to all the participants, though!

Sep 19, 2010
From the discussion I've read about the contest, it's clear I've set unrealistic expectations, and I'll be making some adjustments later this week. Appreciate everyone's feedback! Hopefully I'm able to turn this into something that people are excited about.

Lem Mem

Nov 1, 2020
Quick! Someone make Lem Mem angry by doing pl_badwat3r, the FAR SUPERIOR AND STILL VERY OFFICIAL successor to the previous sequel

...I'd do it, but I'm moving soon. I'd need to get all my affairs in order, PLUS finish everything already on the backburner, before I even attempt starting something new. Good luck to all the participants, though!
dont you dare

Sep 19, 2010
I just updated the main post with some changes. Here are the big changes:
  • Dev textures are allowed.
  • Round 2 judging is now split 40/60 between the community (Twitch chat) and the panel.
  • In the event of a tie, the judges will decide the winner.
Again, I really appreciate the feedback provided. If anyone has concerns/questions, please let me know.

adam2

(no affiliation with adam1)
aa
Jan 2, 2020
Contest starts TODAY. Excited to see what you all come up with!
Really excited for it to start! I don't have any inclination that I'll do any good but I am itching to make a TF2 map and the lenient time restriction feels like a nice alternative to the mad dash of shorter jams. Thanks for hosting!

Lem Mem

Nov 1, 2020
It appears the competition has begun. Currently opening pl_badwater2_a1.

Fault in Maps

Creator of Worlds
aa
Jan 19, 2021
Just to be 100% clear, (because it doesn't state it directly in the main post) you have to start from brand new, right? No using existing geometry or layouts? I figure but want to be clear