Zinkenite

CP Zinkenite B3a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
detail_pass_003.jpg

I'm going to needs some factual tie-ins to really sell the idea of a crystal cave/crystal mining/mineral mining operation. In cp_zig, Red is mining a crystal substance which they've nicknamed 'zig', which is a crystal/mineral substance otherwise known as Zinkenite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinkenite, and in these caves, they've discovered that the crystals can be used as a power source, are self-luminous, and have proven useful and valuable for harvesting due to their electrical properties. Blu, as ususal, is coming to take control of the caves, the mining operations, and zig facilities.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I don't like how the grain isn't parallel to the beams in that tower.

EDIT: I also want to live here:
HyDH8.png

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I spent a bit of time trying to get a good feel for how this ivy should work, and I don't quite like it yet. I spent too much time trying to get it to do what I wanted, but results are results. Right now it's too heavy, I'll probably regenerate it later.

detail_pass_005.jpg

detail_pass_006.jpg

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
interesting tool you found there rexy.
although i'm not sure having the ivy snaking around the ground really is that great, doesn't it usually climb up/down walls?

i'd say try to keep the ivy off of any ground spaces that can be walked on, maybe restrict it to mostly upper parts of walls and in the out-of-gameplay areas, to keep the visual clutter a bit lower in gameplay areas.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I agree - the ivy should be more vertical. Also, that ground/grass blend is fucking hot.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah I think you guys are right about the ivy, there are places where I'd like it to interact with the ground just a tiny bit more, but the ivy generator is so finicky, it's hard to get a result you can really use (given that it's a random generator, but still amazing for what you get). The other difficult thing is keeping the poly count of the thing under control but still achieving a workable product. Each ivy is custom grown to fit a specific area, there might be room for reusing props on things like flat surfaces, 90 degree corners, etc, but for now, this is the way it's done. And it's tedious. But the good news is that for the entirety of all the ivy I'll be making, it uses up only three 128x128 res textures, which is a deal sealer.

detail_pass_007.jpg

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Keep in mind that moss is more likely to grow on the north side, little details like this make for great detailing.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
detail_pass_008.jpg

detail_pass_009.jpg

detail_pass_010.jpg

Just a few images to tide you over, this will probably be the last batch of screenshots for a while for a few reasons. My new PC parts come tomorrow, so I'll be spending time setting this up, the second obviously being portal 2 stealing my life for a while, and then the last reason is because I have still not developed a visual style for the caverns--this is going to take a while. And I'm not at the point yet where I know exactly what I want to do. But think more along the lines of giant crystals, and caverns, like these, only zig-ified:

cystal_ref.jpg

cave_ref.jpg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Aaaaaaand best of luck to you. :blink:

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
I do not like the fact that there buildings in the outdoor setting, I think it would be preferable to do a kind of huge forest that surrounds the playing area.

Btw nice models.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
I do not like the fact that there buildings in the outdoor setting, I think it would be preferable to do a kind of huge forest that surrounds the playing area.

Btw nice models.

seconded on this.