Zinkenite

CP Zinkenite B3a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'm in agreement, I don't like the idea of oriental entirely as a theme, somehow seems to me to be forced, just oriental for the sake of being different, unless you have a legitimate reason (no offense Aly, keep on your oriental theme, it's promising).

Also, oriental or asian? Which is PC?

Jun 19, 2009
I'm in agreement, I don't like the idea of oriental entirely as a theme, somehow seems to me to be forced, just oriental for the sake of being different, unless you have a legitimate reason (no offense Aly, keep on your oriental theme, it's promising).

Also, oriental or asian? Which is PC?

I might be thinking of the right theme, but you know the map ctf_orient? I always loved that map for it's theme. I've always wanted someone to recreate a style like that.

I like the sorta theme you have going anyway, so perhaps it's best to stick to it :p

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I might be thinking of the right theme, but you know the map ctf_orient? I always loved that map for it's theme. I've always wanted someone to recreate a style like that.

I like the sorta theme you have going anyway, so perhaps it's best to stick to it :p

shhhhhh... (see sig) trying to do it better for this contest (don't need Rexy's competition on that front)

Sorry for thread derail Rexy

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Wait, did I miss the new version being in the test? Because it's not on the site.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
OK, new version stage_a_11 is ready to be tested, might throw it up in an impromptu later today/tonight. Check the OP for download if you'd like it now. Some changes have been made that should make stage 1 pretty solid, apart from a few tweaks I might need here and there. Thanks for all your feedback so far to help make this a good product.

layout_fix_03.jpg

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
20:42:59 Psykus been playing with resolution/quality down to try and improve on performance, think it's just my hard drive, have sporadic FPS in a bunch of maps, probably when it's caching the next area

B9ZAV.jpg

UV6RU.jpg

also give me dogbread

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Well thanks for those, I don't know quite what the problem is, this is unique to me...if maybe he can try a few things and see what happens, like maybe tell me what version of direct x he's running with is config. I know his video card is apt, it's a strange problem.

But besides that I think this stage is well enough off to start another one. Good news!

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
That's the exact same problem I had with the Badwater Basin Left 4 Dead map. Now that I think of it, it doesn't make any sense; a missing prop should just show as a flashing ERROR, right?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
That's the exact same problem I had with the Badwater Basin Left 4 Dead map. Now that I think of it, it doesn't make any sense; a missing prop should just show as a flashing ERROR, right?

Right, which is more why I think it's a texture related problem, but hard to say. Do you play l4d on low quality or performance settings?

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Not sure what you mean exactly, but I have my texture/model detail set to high.

What Is Schwa

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 13, 2008
Lots of fun so far. I especially enjoyed your drunken medic the other night.

Here are some thoughts:

1) Attacking kinda sucks. I don't want to leave the red spawn on the right hand side. Mentally I just think "if I take that door I'm going to get spammed and sniped before I can take two fucking steps."

I've exclusively taken your side route when attacking. However, I feel like this cuts me off from most of the action. The side route is good, but I feel like offense is depending on it a little too heavily.

In general, I think offense should be able to secure the area right outside their spawn after a minute or two of map time. I think moving the spawn exit up in height will improve this area dramatically.
zig1.jpg

2) Remove your new exit from spawn. I feel like this dilutes the action too much and further guides players into the side route.
zig2.jpg

3) Break up the sight line a little bit. I think a fence or two in the picture below would really improve the flow. Block the direct line of sight into spawn with a fence. This doesn't actually cripple defense, instead it gives soldiers and demos a nice ledge to dance around on .
zig3.jpg

4) Put some health/ammo here.
zig4.jpg

5) Let everyone walk on this ledge
zig5.jpg

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Updated to stage_a_13:

I've decided to go ahead and get the gameplay just right for the first stage in favor of trying to get 2 more stages--and then do a full detail pass on the first stage. This way, I can be sure to have a strong entry in the contest, and if there's time left I'll start testing 2 other stages (one of which is half way done).

In a_13, I've done some gameplay changes with the first stage, reworked blu's spawn entirely, and added some new setup gates, along with some other new assets. Also I tweaked the lighting some.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Quick update to a_13a to fix some craaaaaazy spam exploits.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'm in detail mode now, the gameplay is at a place I enjoy right now, which means full speed ahead. I'll have some surprises for you, hopefully nice surprises. I'll post hammer screenshots for now as I go, everyone is welcome to give thoughts.

detail_pass_001.jpg

detail_pass_002.jpg

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I don't really know why they're there atm, I just paste dropped them there. I figure I'll find a good spot for them.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Put a truck on that raised area - problem solved.