[WIP] tc_meridian

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I would prefer cp because I hate ctf, but it would be nice from valve to show some interest in this map because it's worth it. And if they respond to 12yr old kids with stupid class update suggestions they should at least show some respect to shmitz his map.

Also shmitz, planning to make a custom model for the briefcase so it fits even more your map theme or are you gonna leave it like this? Just an idea, you don't have to change it ^^ it just would be interesting.

Still have to test the _a4 map though, will do tonight! :)

Feb 14, 2008
For FPS issues, it is helpful to know specific locations where it gets bad, and for comparison, locations where it's good.

Well, I got >100 in a few rare places mainly in the spawn rooms. I got sub 30 usually in the submarine area, and other areas of high detail. On the subject of spawn rooms, you should replace the grates on one of the Red spawns (I think) with an actualy door, because I for a while though that I couldn't get out of it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I was getting on average 40-50 fps for the entire map in a few locations (the larger rooms it dropped to mid 30s just and in corridors it reached 60 and in one of the corridors it hit 110. (when I went outside the map and looked at the whole thing I got 9, not that that is particularly relevant)
Compared with most valve maps giving me avg 30-40 peak of 50 and low of 10 I'd say that was pretty good.

The map is looking really good now, its definitely on its way to becoming a fantastic map (who's doing all these new models in this version? I though budikaman dropped out...)

EDIT:I remembered what else I was gunna add, the skybox.. the top section looks a bit odd but the rest looks great except for at the corners where you can tell its a box..

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
I would prefer cp because I hate ctf

normally id agree with that 100%, but tc just seems to work alot better with ctf
the ctf aspect makes it a bit easier to defend, and the tc aspect makes it so ctf isn't boring, its a nice balance ;)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'm also not convinced CP would be better but I want to play it more before I make up my mind

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
who's doing all these new models in this version? I though budikaman dropped out...

I Dropped out? I am still working on this map, only part time as I am busy with another project.

Also, the skybox seams will be fixed in the next version. Im still tweaking the sky. I have a few more props planned as well.

Last edited:

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I'd love to try a CP version of this. Most of the guys I play with really dislike CTF for a variety of reasons. MrAlBobo said that he likes CTF because it's easier to defend, which is precisely why I dislike it. Easier to defend = more likely that people will turtle. Anyway, we tested an earlier version on our server and it went over ok at the time. Most of the complaints were about FPS, the CTF play style, and confusing layout, but it looks like you've taken care of most of that already so we'll try it again soon.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
I'd love to try a CP version of this. Most of the guys I play with really dislike CTF for a variety of reasons. MrAlBobo said that he likes CTF because it's easier to defend, which is precisely why I dislike it. Easier to defend = more likely that people will turtle. Anyway, we tested an earlier version on our server and it went over ok at the time. Most of the complaints were about FPS, the CTF play style, and confusing layout, but it looks like you've taken care of most of that already so we'll try it again soon.

the flaw with this is that I said I don't really like ctf, just that ctf works better for tc...

anyways...I view ctf as easier to defend because while you can just slip in and take it, its a bit more difficult to do the same on the way out

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007

I was thinking the same thing, a CP version of the map would be a dream, we (our community) really don't like CTF, as them i think the true teamply mode is CP, ctf are really intersting in a push the flag situation only for us where team has to make a unique front and work together, where ctf permits to a single player to win the game. TF2 is all about the team, they don't have coordination or communication they shouldn't win.

Simple idea, since OBVIOUSLY this map didn't required that much work, do 2 version :laugh:.

ColdFire

L2: Junior Member
Mar 11, 2008
I tried your map on my community server yesterday, and they were quite lost having a tc_ctf and no ctf hud.
So maybe yes, make a cp version, and when valve will fix the hud, release a ctf version too

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
I ran around a4 - first of all, its an amazing peice of work congrats to both of you on the mapping and modelling.

Did you do all the displacement work in Hammer?
I suck at displacements so presume people have found a better way to make them :)

Also your Skybox works great, you cant really tell its the Skybox for the most part.

Now for feedback...

The lighting in the robot area should be more dramatic it seems overly bright in there, im not sure how lighting works between props and VRAD but the robot seemed wrong.

I noticed that u have water running under areas of the map , this may be hurting the FPS.

I attached an image also showing how the heavy the props are affecting the FPS.
Min/Max fade doesnt work for all situations nor do areaportals/hints - , u might want to use occluders if all else fails. I find them quite effective when used right.

Also the boats captain cant see where hes going when hes at the wheel :)

tc_meridian_a40000_resize.jpg

tc_meridian_a40001.jpg

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Is that a wireframe control point at his feet? Waai is tat?

I didn't get too bad fps, it's a heavy map full of details, and well, 25 fps is what they run when you watch a movie so if you get more than that, why complain? :D

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Well 25FPS is ok for running around on your own - throw in 10 players and missiles and stickies and ubers and SGs and suddenly its well... shit.

Tho I should point the screenies were taken on a 4850/3Ghz/1680x1060 AA setup :)

Env_steam is also an FPS killer - theres 2 on each spawn entrance from what I remember.

Anyway theres a lot that can be done to improve this, min/max fade should help a LOT then areaportals/hints and occluders.

Last edited:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Particles are actually not bad at all for fps. They're multicore optimized and should be a minimal portion of your fps. Areaportals are already in place, btw, that's why you're only drawing that room. Can you post better examples of where your fps is dipping? The details being drawn in the room you have shown are actually a fairly good number of props, you see more than that in many maps. Static props should almost always be the largest contributor towards fps, and if you're above 60 that looks good. Perhaps a better example will show what you mean?