WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Looks more like you have an invisible brush of some sort casting a shadow on that thing. Nodraw would be such a brush.

deadsource

L3: Member
Jul 11, 2011
Looks more like you have an invisible brush of some sort casting a shadow on that thing. Nodraw would be such a brush.

ss.jpg

I don't think so. There's no nodraw anywhere near there. I tried removing that brush that is on the cliff, still the same result.
Further more, that brush is way far from where the shadow starts if you look from the sun's pitch.

Edit: Maybe this will help solve this issue.
fencelight.jpg

ABB01E71A46FBD1B7BE5A18543A1EFA72EB2C092

Why here, when I ray trace in hammer, that thing is shaded so well, while in-game it's all in the shadow (same issue without cfg)? Maybe this problem is also related?

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
The lighting preview window is utterly useless. Don't use it.

The reason why the fence is dark is because its origin is in the shade. Enable -staticproplighting (not recommended in alpha), assign another origin (your best bet if this bothers you so much), move the prop, or ignore it for now :p

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
The lighting preview window is utterly useless. Don't use it.

The reason why the fence is dark is because its origin is in the shade. Enable -staticproplighting (not recommended in alpha), assign another origin (your best bet if this bothers you so much), move the prop, or ignore it for now :p

Oh yes, I have read about -staticproplighting. It might help. But the problem with the cliff remains unsolved. Could it be that the shading of the cliff goes monkey on me because it's a displacement made of the front and top of a brush? Now that I recall, everything worked fine; when I decided to do a little reshape- the shadow appeared. Your thoughts?
Edit: awesome, the lighting in my map is now totally bashed. And I don't know how to reset the lighting in the compiler. Oh well, google time.
Edit: never mind, that was the engine's fault. Still the same problem with the cliff.

Last edited:

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
noleaks.jpg

I found a leak and sealed it. Still the same cliff shading problem. See the same problem with the roofs? Maybe the cliff is sharing the same problem?
Those roofs are made of: a displacement map in the middle and 4 brushes on the sides.
Edit: Ow, sorry for double posting.
I think I understand what's the issue. I'm using a blend texture. The top area, which apparently is in a shadow is also alpha painted. Although the top paint looks dark, the same paint at the bottom renders nicely.

Last edited:

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
Hang about, did you make all six sides of your brushes into displacements?

<...> it's a displacement made of the front and top of a brush? <...>
As I said before, only 2 sides were made into displacements. It seems the wall of text hit you so hard that you forgot what you have read.
I know now that the problem is with the shading of a blending texture. I just changed the texture to a non-blending one. As far as my knowledge goes, smoothing groups (shading?) might be the little bastard that caused me such a headache... I could've realised this sooner...

Last edited:

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
Why here, when I ray trace in hammer, that thing is shaded so well, while in-game it's all in the shadow (same issue without cfg)? Maybe this problem is also related?

YM (I think) wrote a guide on compile options. By default the compiler doesn't calculate lighting that way for props, but it will if you add an option I cannot for the life of me remember. It makes compiles way, way longer though.

LMFAO

Banned
Jun 14, 2012
I'm withdrawing from the KotH contest due to my inability to have a work of ethic for it. So, I'm going to go ahead with something advanced someone wanted to see, as there is rarely any non-stale Payload Race game modes.

This, is the only start. My map will be based around the winter theme similar to the official Coldfront (5-CP) and Frostfell (PLR). I hope that development of this map will come a long way and receive good ratings. Hopefully if it outscores, it could be on Valve's list of maps. I don't want to plan for that but I think it would be nice to.

As of current, the Red spawn I have is too under-scaled and lighting glitches are occurring (awkward shadows on objects). I have not yet set a skybox, but there is a ton of leaks. I plan on fixing that once I get a photo out.

The_Virgo

L1: Registered
Jul 3, 2012
I'm a bad example of a mapper, really. I never draw out a layout, instead choosing to work off a design in my head, and I never make "Alphas". I just start making them as if when I'm finished, it's ready to go to beta. This may be partially why I never end up FINISHING any of my maps, but mapping is mostly a hobby and a nice way to spend the afternoon while listening to music.

That being said, here's a WiP picture of what I'm currently called "cp_fortress". It's a kind of trench-based map, with the Red team assaulting a blue Fortification (backward to the standard CP style, I realize). Gameplay wise, it will be a linear, one-round, three-CP assault/defend map.

eMHO2.jpg

Also, please admire how well the tank barriers turned out. :cool1:

deadsource

Jul 11, 2011
I'm a bad example of a mapper, really. I never draw out a layout, instead choosing to work off a design in my head, and I never make "Alphas". I just start making them as if when I'm finished, it's ready to go to beta. This may be partially why I never end up FINISHING any of my maps, but mapping is mostly a hobby and a nice way to spend the afternoon while listening to music.

That being said, here's a WiP picture of what I'm currently called "cp_fortress". It's a kind of trench-based map, with the Red team assaulting a blue Fortification (backward to the standard CP style, I realize). Gameplay wise, it will be a linear, one-round, three-CP assault/defend map.

eMHO2.jpg

Also, please admire how well the tank barriers turned out. :cool1:
Yeah, me too. I never did a map. The way I work is by adding small parts of the map every day. The thing is, I don't want to make a balanced and fun to play map- I just want to make a map. Wait, WHAT? Well I want to finish a map so I would be familiar to all the tools. logic, compiler, etc. before trying to make a good map. As they say, pancakes are yummy, but nobody want them burnt. And when do pancakes burn? When The Pyro cooks them.