[WIP] ctf_Aerospace

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
Also this one from Corion

Very cool map idea. I love the custom models. The cave looks freaking sweet.

The cave is WAY too dark. Throw in some lanterns or something, PLEASE.

There aren't many good sentry locations to defend the intel. Most have really easy out-of-range locations they can be taken out from or they can just be bypassed.

The map feels really large ... or long.

The random holes in the hangar area pavement to the underground section feel unnecessary.

The fence that divides up the team's own hangar feels a little out of place. Maybe it's because I can't see the texture in the middle of the fence. I don't know if you realized other people can't see it.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
It's a good map , but 3 cp's would be better.
Best improvements would be light up the cave :)

And if you WANT to keep it ctf, place your intel on a big important place.

Arhurt

May 7, 2008
It's a good map , but 3 cp's would be better.
Best improvements would be light up the cave :)

Why do you feel like it would be better? Is it because of the flag room issues or because of the size and layout of the map?

I'm afraid that the Intel room issues are somehow shadowing over potential other issues, so I'm working on that as one of my top priorities right now. Converting it to a 3 CP has crossed my mind a number of times, and I might just do that.

The CP's would be on either bases hangar, and the central one right in front of the cave entrance. I'll have to tinker with this idea a little bit more.

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
The CP's would be on either bases hangar, and the central one right in front of the cave entrance. I'll have to tinker with this idea a little bit more.

Exactly :)

Why? The map is too big for ctf. Waaay to big. I believe converting to cp would make this map kickass. Only 3 cp's, thats all I ask, and placed like you said! :thumbup:

Corion

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2008
Converting it to a 3 CP has crossed my mind a number of times, and I might just do that.

A 5-cp could also work. 1 inside each hangar, 1 in the alcove areas just outside the sniper buildings along the long outside pathway, and 1 in the center of the back of the cave. You're probably going to have to rework the layout either way, though.

Great theme and custom content, but the current layout really needs work (CTF or CP). You COULD also turn it into a payload map of some sort.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
why not have the best of both worlds? cp_aerospace & ctf_aerospace :)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Nope nope nope nope! leave it as CTF its fine!
5 CPs is far too many for this small map and payload just wouldnt work.
I think snipergen is dissilusioned, the map is NOT to big for ctf, infact I think it's smaller than 2fort, which in itself is tiny.

The pit of death seems pointless at the moment, I'm assuming you're gunna add a reason for it to kill you?
Looks like you've got loads of pitch black on your lightmaps, have you set an ambiant light in the light_environment? if not set one! (or is the map leaking?)
The fences, the chain link ones, they should be set so they aren't blocking light, it looks strange for a chainlink fence to cast solid shadows (the other alternative is to turn on the texture light mapping thing but I can't remember what the command is. but that increases compile times hugely)

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Yeah, a little too dark in the cave, I teleported from the hanger area just outside of spawn to the middle of the cave and abruptly fell into a pit... but that's probably the engy's fault :p.

Feels good for a CTF map, IMO, I had fun on it.

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
Bigger CTF maps are better in my opinion. The TFC maps were always good for this. I used to get quite a rush if I ended up running the flag, all the way from one end of the map to the other and somehow making it out alive.

Remember that the battle shifts around the map to the flags' location. With a bigger map, there's less chance of the battle happening in the same place all the time, so less repetition.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I kind of think this map does work best as a CTF map. For me this is because there are lots of places to intercept flag carriers before they get to their half of the map. The map is not as stalematish as 2fort because the intelligence is a bit easier to get to, without an annoying-ass staircase to run down. I do almost feel like the cave should be the only way to get between the bases, as of now there is no central chokepoint a la 2fort's bridge, and I think the map could actually benefit from one. Maybe the outside areas between the bases could both just lead into the mouth of that cave, or have two outside mouths so that players are forced into battle with each other.

R3dRuM

Feb 13, 2008
Flag is way to hard to defend, we scout rushed with 2 scouts every round before a engi could get one sentry up. (as he builds, we enter and it dies)

There really is no good sentry spots as it is too open.

Player clipping the fence that leads to a accessible area on the other side is not necessary. Soldiers and demos should be able to jump over it.

A|A A means accessible area, | means fence.

Arhurt

May 7, 2008
First off, I'd like to thank all the players and forum members who downloaded and played my map on and off the gameday. Your comments are valuable resources for improving it and I hope you had fun with the map.

Now for some replies:

About the cave being too dark
: I just found out that my brightness settings in-game where all messed up. It`s really dark now that I see it the way you guys saw it. Oopsie. I am putting proper lightning on the pick-ups (especially the big ammo in the center) and fixing the path to the ones near the red base. I'm also working on a ruby cluster to contrast with the blue crystals. Oh, and the bat flying around, you have to see it on the next iteration of the map.

Death pits: I`ll keep them, but I have removed the big stalactites blocking the jumping paths. They are going to be much deeper and you will die from the fall (even if I have to kill you), but I have something special planned for them. They will lead to a HUGE underground chamber, and there will be eastereggs. Have faith in it, it will look good :p

CTF vs CP: I agree that this map works as a ctf, but differently from 2fort. I think that instead of defending the flag itself, it is more fun/balanced to defend the paths leading to the flag. Of course that the flag current posittion is broken, but I have remodeled the hangar and it should be a lot more versatile and better now. I also think the map is not big, the bases are actually small. In 2fort, you have this smallish scenario (a bridge) connecting two large bases. On my map, you have two medium bases connected by a medium middle section.

Playerclips on fences and other places: The fences will be about 2x higher, hence the playerclipped areas. I'm creating the props for it for next game day so it won't feel wrong. the spawn area is totally remodeled, and should be working fine now.

Signs: To be added, a must do for the next iteration.

Inside of the tower: It was too cramped, it was remodeled and will probably be removed. The control tower will most likely be on top of a bigger office complex to the side of the hangar. I`ll still keep the catwalks around somehow, because I think they add to gameplay, but we'll have to see how that goes.

Red base: I have just changed the textures for the gameday, the red base is under major refitting to have a more Red and menacing feel.

Ammo and health pickups in the base
: I`m going to put more of them around, especially in places that the defending team might be and not on the attacker's path.

Now, for a quick look at the new Blue Hangar (no inside lights yet, just the sun going trough the holes)

ctf_aerospace_a3_010000.jpg

Last edited:

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
Cool man, I like your easter egg plan, I would do it too :p
Also.. from this screen the hangar looks awesome, just (I don't say this often but) you have to downscale your floor texture a bit :) the crack's are too lowres.

R3dRuM

Feb 13, 2008
As for the playeclipping fences; i meant that one fence that you do have access to both sides. but its a really long detour if you want to get to the other side with a soldier or demo, either remove the fence or playerlcliP?

Arhurt

May 7, 2008
Small update.

Now that I have my monitor calibrated, I'm working on some lightning standards for my map. I do want to have a nice contrast between the dark cave, the indirect lightning of the Hangar and the outdoor areas.

What do you guys think:

Cave (Dark, but not so much as to mess up with gameplay)

ctf_aerospace_a3_020005.jpg

ctf_aerospace_a3_020000.jpg

ctf_aerospace_a3_020001.jpg

Inside the Hangar (Indirect lightning and a "noir" feel)

ctf_aerospace_a3_020003.jpg

Outside (not as bright as 2fort, almost a sunset)

ctf_aerospace_a3_020004.jpg

ctf_aerospace_a3_020002.jpg

ctf_aerospace_a3_020006.jpg

Oh, and as you can see the map suffered some major cahges in and around the hangar!

crazychicken

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
i havent tried this yet i forgot about it but will upoad it to my server and see how it goes

only thing i will say is that the most popular map modes in tf2 are by far pl or cp like dustbowl. ctf can be boring and 5 cp maps no matter how well they are made are unimaginative and dull.

I dont know how it plays as i havent tried it yet and will reply later but if you can make it a pl map then it will be very popular. a lot of mappers aim to make maps for or listen too much to league players who are only interested in maps for leagueplay. maps like studio and redstone might be fine for league play and they might look amazing but they are boring as hell. I see it is a mirror map which makes it much less interesting than a unique playing area like goldrush, personally i would make it 2 or 3 stages of a pl map. mirror maps are dull

I mean having blue attack from the cave having landed secretly with their planes etc to attack the red airfield would be far far more enjoyable. They could then proceed through 3 stages pushing the nuke to destroy reds hangar int he final cp. Taht would be awesome, at the moment no matter how good you make it look I cant see it being very fun

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, throw all this work out the window and make an airplane themed payload map, totally!!1!1!1!lolz

Anyway, looks amazing, better than most custom maps, especially for one with no deserty cliffs in sight. Kind of confused as to what logic the vents follow on that roof though.