Why does splash damage go through the grate on 2Fort?

Neal Kenneth

L1: Registered
Sep 20, 2015
I am working on a modification of 2Fort and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to stop splash damage from going through the dropdown grates that are right outside of spawn.

Please help!

Bullet damage does not go through, projectile does not either, obviously players don't...what am I not seeing in Hammer?

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
Some additional details: I have even tried putting a brush covering the whole grate from below with the "blockbullets2" texture and this failed to stop splash damage from going through.

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
Just a unit or two...I'll try making it 8 and see what happens. I'm a bit confused though, why would thickness matter? That seems odd.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
The grates themselves should stop splash damage, since they're presumably func_detail and splash damage is calculated by drawing rays. That's bizarre, how are you testing this?

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
I got a report from a playtester and have tested it with bots. It is also how things work on the original map, I think. Let me check.

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
This is getting weirder by the minute...occasionally the splash will fail to pass through despite there being no difference from panel to panel. Seems to happen about one in ten times.

Switched to just testing it with Demoman and self-damage. Should have thought of that sooner :)

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
My guess is that it's the same reason dynamic shadows sometimes get rendered through geometry, and dispensers used to be able to provide ammo through walls.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Nah, grate textures just let splash damage through. I assuming it is an intended mechanic from hl2 that got carried over to TF2. You will see it in pipeline or most other maps that have grates on brushes.

Why it sometimes doesn't work is strange.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
There's a fence on Mercenary Park's last point that you can shoot rockets through.

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
I was able to work around this issue by putting a bulletblocks2 layer both over AND under the grating. There's also an area-portal between there...is that maybe what is disrupting the bulletblocks layer from working in both directions?