What’s the he secret to points on cp maps?

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
I never can get control point maps right, andboy have general tips or tricks?

G.bo

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 24, 2017
Alright, I'm no professional with mapping, but I'll try and go over what I try and do with them.

1) Location
With capture point locations (depending on if it's AD, 5CP, or KOTH), you need to think about a few different factors: is it easily visible; is it easy to get to; how hard is it to defend. All these things matter when deciding a location, as well as balancing around an already decided location. I mostly know this because my A1 of Nightflower had a horrible, horrible issue with the point not only being hard to find, but also was super inconvenient to leave from.

2) Size/Shape
If your capture zone is too big or too small, it can make things pretty rough to deal with. I personally think that having about a 512Hu by 512Hu capture zone is pretty consistent size for most capture point locations. Again, with Nightflower, since the point is in such a weird location, I decided to make the point a bit bigger to make up for a lack of high ground.

I'm no professional, believe me on this one. Other people will probably give much better advice due to experience and practice. If I had to recommend a video that somewhat helped me with figuring out my control point issues, I'd say Red Robot's "What makes a mid good?" video is a pretty decent guide to why certain control points work as well as they do.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017