Water Problems in tf2 hammer

salvatore1

L1: Registered
Jan 26, 2018
When there are water problem for tf2 hammer this will be the area to get answers.

My problem:
I got rid of all the leaks in my map but the water keeps looking like the void or the outside world without any walls

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Check this resource and make sure everything is correct; also check and make sure you're doing a full compile, as quick or no vis (and maybe bsp as well?) will cause water to break. If that still doesn't work, try checking your compile log here

salvatore1

Jan 26, 2018
ok so I got the water to not look like the "void" but now if I were going to go into the game the water would look like it is invisible until I would jump in under the water

salvatore1

Jan 26, 2018
So I check the log and it said that I didn't have vrad and vvis files, docs, or codes not included. What should I do?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Post your compile log here, that's an error I've never heard of.

salvatore1

Jan 26, 2018
Here is the compile log. Also to add in game if I were to look at the water on the surface, it would look invisible but Then if I were going under the water it would be prefectly fine.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Mar 6 2018)
2 threads
materialPath: C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (1)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (20384 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 66 texinfos to 34
Reduced 9 texdatas to 8 (262 bytes to 209)
Writing C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 106350, actual size 106002
2 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb"

vvis launcher error: can't load vvis_dll.dll
The specified procedure could not be found.

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb"

vrad_launcher error: can't load vrad_dll.dll

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\mapsrc\test_roombomb.bsp" "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\test_roombomb.bsp"

** Executing...
** Command: "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\hl2.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\New steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" +map "test_roombomb" -steam

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
vvis launcher error: can't load vvis_dll.dll
No wonder the water isn't appearing, VVIS isn't running due to a file error. Luckily, you're far from the first person to have this problem (this problem appeared for many users after Jungle Inferno), and we've already figured out the solution. Check out these two posts. Installing that C++ thing should fix your problem. (The error under VRAD is the exact same problem, installing the C++ runtime thing will fix VRAD as well.)

salvatore1

Jan 26, 2018
I have a new problem, the water works now. But a room that I have inside, the walls are black and not the texture I have put on.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Check your compile log for errors and the alt-p problem checker in Hammer. Additionally, try using mat_fullbright 1 in-game. Does the texture appear then?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Even with mat_fullbright 1? Interesting. What's the room look like in Hammer?

Narpas

aa
Jun 11, 2015
Sounds like a texture error; try using the texture application tool, selecting a working face with the same texture, and then alt + right-clicking on the broken faces

salvatore1

Jan 26, 2018
in hammer it looks fine and how do you do Fullbright ( I am very sorry I didn't ask earlier). And Narpas so your saying retexture the and then do alt+ rigth click

Narpas

aa
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, if it's a texture glitch, that could fix the problem, but might not. If it doesn't, you can always try remaking the brushes

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Try mat_fullbright 2 instead. That shows only the lightmaps. If those are wonky, then it's not the fault of the material.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
in hammer it looks fine and how do you do Fullbright ( I am very sorry I didn't ask earlier). And Narpas so your saying retexture the and then do alt+ rigth click
Open the console and type in "mat_fullbright 1". This will apply a constant bright lighting to everything, regardless of how it's actually supposed to be lit. If your bug is a lighting problem, you should be able to see the correct textures on the walls this way. Otherwise, it's a different problem.

To turn off fullbright, use the console command "mat_fullbright 0".