water cuts off rendering (watch screenshots)

dabmasterars

L3: Member
Mar 20, 2023
if you stand in the corner of the highlighted brushes (image 1), the top part would be cut off with no textures. there are no leaks or errors, so i don't think providing the compile log would be useful. turning water into func_detail doesn't help, it makes the water invisible. what do i do? thanks in advance.

image 1 - hammer view
image 2 - in-game view (player is in the corner of the vents)

Attachments

• water.PNG
    water.PNG
    466.1 KB · Views: 46
  • waterview.jpg
    waterview.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 42
Solution
after doing some research, it appears it has nothing to do with multiple height (it just makes other water levels cheap) apparently, because water is a world brush, it cuts visleaves, resulting in a rendering error. i have tried to fix it multiple times by making several visclusters (that do not intersect with the water) and adjusting the water level. it appears that this problem is unfixable without patches to the vbsp or the portal file. at the end, i decided to redesign the area from scratch.

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
This might be one of the many rendering bugs that arise when a player is rendering multiple planes of water at different height levels.
Try making it so that both water brushes have the same height, and if the issue persists, it may have something to do with an areaportal intersecting the water or whatever.

dabmasterars

L3: Member
Mar 20, 2023
after doing some research, it appears it has nothing to do with multiple height (it just makes other water levels cheap) apparently, because water is a world brush, it cuts visleaves, resulting in a rendering error. i have tried to fix it multiple times by making several visclusters (that do not intersect with the water) and adjusting the water level. it appears that this problem is unfixable without patches to the vbsp or the portal file. at the end, i decided to redesign the area from scratch.

Solution