Vote for Gordon Vs Mario

Shoomonger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 8, 2009
AND do you realize that it's annoying for Mario to win every goddamn greatest gaming hero list just because the developers picked it? It's sickning

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
You're right, Mario isn't original. He is THE original.
Also hasn't been involved in around 20 years? Yeah, sure, except more Mario games have been released after Gordon's last appearance, than Gordon has ever been in.

Yet all of them are the same game with better graphics. Amazing.

Also, by that logic, Pacman is the original. So mario is also a copy cat, just like Gordon. And gordon is more interesting on the account that he has an actual backstory and makes sense.

Mario galaxy

You mean Mario 64 with a facelift?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
See i dont know that much about freeman.. having NEVER played a half-life game. Well... lied...

I played HL1 till a reactor blow up then my old pc at the time always froze.. so i never played past the first hour? of the game..

Then i played the synergy mod and ran through the game with 3 other people and it was very boring.

HOWEVER..

i hate Mario *M-air-e-o*. I hate his games, i hate how kids love him and i hate.. his games..

so i'll vote freeman.

PL-7764

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 4, 2009
Fanboi fights are funny to watch sometimes. And I don't mean the poll either. :)

I liked Mario as a kid because my childhood coincided with all the original good ones (little if any opportunity to imitate each other at that point). Still, every single one of the major ones was one-upped shortly afterward by another franchise (IMO anyway) - usually on the same console. Super Mario Bros/World/Whatever -> Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 64 -> Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Kart -> Diddy Kong Racing. (Anyone else notice that all 3 of those games/series were made by Rare, who was publishing through Nintendo at the time, and was at the time fully in charge of Mario's counterpart Donkey Kong franchise? :O)

Then there are the Mario sports titles, Mario Party, Mario "edutainment" titles, and who knows what else ... but I never got into any of those (tried Mario Party but still don't totally understand why they did it - oh wait, yes I do! He's a cash cow! What better reason? :O)

I won't vote in this poll simply because I don't participate in these things period. As I said, fanboi fights are sometimes funny to watch, but I don't want to insert myself into one as I simply don't care enough about the subject to want any part of any sort of argument over it.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I voted for Gordon btw. While I've grown up with Mario games and I love a lot of them (especially the RPGs and, of course, Nintendo's first-party games), the vote is about the character. I've been convinced that Gordon is a decent character, while I personally can't say I like anything about Mario himself. Just his games, and the world, the other characters and so on.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
...Then i played the synergy mod and ran through the game with 3 other people and it was very boring...

That's not really how it's supposed to be played :p the atmosphere is completely lost if you have 3 people backing you up at every turn.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
To be honest, I don't see mario as a hero in the video gaming world as much as he is in the real world. He's one of the major foundations of gaming, the one of good gameplay (Trust me, if you played any platformer before his time they were HORRIBLE.) and good design in general. He also created one of the strongest leaps into 3D with Super Mario 64 (Set the bar for 3D platforming and general 3rd person camera movement). In my opinion it's hard to find a true mario game (One made in the platforming perspective and not a spinoff) that is just bad. I mean, if you consider Galaxy bad, I'm just in shock, it played very well and was beautiful. His true games have always set the bar in good gameplay (I even consider Sunshine fun).

On the other hand, he doesn't seem like a heroic figure. His adventures are fun, but they just don't get the sense of heroism from them that Gordon has (Especially in HL2).

If it was a vote on who was a better character of the gaming industry as a whole, I would have said Mario. But Gordon's more of what is this.

EDIT: Didn't read the line "Aren't they all the same game with better graphics?"

If you actually played more than one you might see that they just share the same common base, the ability to jump and crush things if you land on them.

Each game I see has new and interesting things from him, and definitely new challenges. I love looking at Galaxy for that, it's a great example of good level design in the platforming sense while keeping it fresh.

Last edited:

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
Gordon Freeman is now officially the greatest game hero of all time!

He is now happy

39316095.gif

Last edited: