VIPs can only upload for themselves - DISCUSS IT HERE

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
I would donate for the servers if the servers actually worked and didn't lagspike every 3 minutes

I would also donate if it allowed me to help people by uploading their maps. Donating feels like a subscription fee now

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
The main problem we've *tf2maps.net* ran into since the beginning of the site is commitment and action from the members.

By that i mean We've always wanted a gameday everyday, its a great idea and would solve a ton of problems.

But we need members to step up and help with that. Hosting it, organizing it, admin'ing it... ETC

Its like preaching to the choir. On the same page but action is needed.

Might be totally out of line, but have you considered approaching Valve for a TF2 server and/or place to host the site? Seeing as they gave out servers en masse for the lobby and are hosting the wiki at the moment, it seems a logical place to go. They can miss a few pennies, too.

EDIT: Didn't read well. As for member commitment, advertise! I have never seen gameday advertisements outside of TF2maps.net except for contest pack announcements on the blog, which was mainly coincidental because some pubbies stayed a little longer. There's some fine people here with a lot of skill in photoshop and such, I'm sure we could brew something up and get some good ol' Steam Forum advertisement. Get more people, gain more support, which gets more people.

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
That's fair Super, and I can certainly understand that.

Hopefully those issues will be looked at and taken care off.

The current system I'm sure needs to be tweaked more, but to the people who are up-in-arms about the change.. really now?... Since when has TF2Maps.net ever had an end-all-change?

We constantly and consistently try to bring balance and fairness where it seems fit and just to both sides. While it may take a little longer then you the community see's as "OK" Please note it is a complete voluntary staff, meaning unpaid.

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
The only problem I had when this first started was that there didn't seem to be any more gamedays. This meant that non-VIP never get map testing time. But it seems it's not the case. As long as regular gamedays occur, I see no problem with this plan.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I'm sure we could brew something up and get some good ol' Steam Forum advertisement. Get more people, gain more support, which gets more people.

Steam forum moderators tend to lock/delete any advertising sadly, regardless of how it effects the community in a positive way.

And we have the people/support... It's just a matter of pointing everyone in the right direction and on the same path.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
just to clear something up.

YOU DON'T NEED A CREDIT CARD TO USE PAYPAL

you can transfer money directly from your bank account to your paypal.
I don't have a credit card and yet I'm a donator. I can do it, you can do it. stop whining

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Relying on Gamedays to egt my map uploaded onto the server is bull. From past knowledge about Gamedays, the chances of me gettign my map submitted in time is unlikely. I cannot donate because I don't have a credit card or a paypal or anything. I have cash. And I'm not going to mail that out. So essentially you're preventing anyone under the age of 16 (and/or people who have parents who won't cosign anything) from testing their maps.

Good plan.

Also, I've learned that Gamedays aren't as productive as Impromptus. Sure, you get a crowd for the majority of the game. But many of them are simply playing the maps and not giving feedback. In an impromptu, people tend to give more feedback. Why? Hell if I know. It just happens like that.

The server is terrible. Why would I donate to keep a terrible server up and running? Don't just get a new server fromt he same guys. Change hosts so we get a good server.

Oh, by the way Fubar. Some of us don't have bank accounts that we can take money out of. I have one that I can't touch until I'm 18. Only my parents can. So stop being an idiot.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Well some people are also too young to be playing this game. >.>

(Not attacking you per-say just trying to point something out)

TF2 has a BBFC rating of 15, PEGI 16 and ESRB 17. Visa cards are, as far as I know, commonly restricted to 18+. It might seem like I'm grinding on something insignificant, but this is in fact a real issue.

Because I'm 17 I had to borrow my mother's card, but I'm lucky that she cares (too) little about what I do on the Internet and let me make a Paypal account for her. I can't imagine many parents allowing that.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Oh, by the way Fubar. Some of us don't have bank accounts that we can take money out of. I have one that I can't touch until I'm 18. Only my parents can. So stop being an idiot.

at this point it's not tfm2's problem I believe.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
People seem to be overlooking the fact that things have only returned to the way they were run in the past and the only difference is that we have more active members. DrP is already working on an alternative method of running things that will allow non-VIP's to upload maps and with gamedays still running for non-VIP's the situation is hardly as dire as it's being made out.

If you guys really want to help out so bad you can do so by not taking up slots in gamedays and temporarily rely on impromtu's, so that more non-VIP's can still test their maps.

You guys are complaining like you had a bag of sweets taken off you when they were given to you out of generosity in the first place. You havn't actually lost anything, even though having the bag of sweets is obviously more desirable that not having them.

In the mean time may i remind you that the EU server is still open to non-VIP uploads, providing that i am online to upload them for you.

DrP will give the sweets back in due time.

Last edited:

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
People seem to be overlooking the fact that things have only returned to the way they were run in the past and the only difference is that we have more active members. DrP is already working on an alternative method of running things that will allow non-VIP's to upload maps and with gamedays still running for non-VIP's the situation is hardly as dire as it's being made out.

If you guys really want to help out so bad you can do so by not taking up slots in gamedays and temporarily rely on impromtu's, so that more non-VIP's can still test their maps.

You guys are complaining like you had a bag of sweets taken off you when they were given to you out of generosity in the first place. You havn't actually lost anything, even though having the bag of sweets is obviously more desirable that not having them.

In the mean time may i remind you that the EU server is still open to non-VIP uploads, providing that i am online to upload them for you.

I think people were more bothered by the implications of all this, and weren't trying to be whiny kids. That said, I got swept up too and had too heavy a reaction. Sorry about that.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
It seems a bit of an inner circle/circle jerk which is what this site is ultimately known for, but hey, servers cost money.

Interesting. Explain?

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008

Seems like you're mostly basing your argument on the fact that things are returning to the old way. Why is this a good thing again?

Now, if the other solution is good I will probably be happy, but I think this is a very important, central issue and it needed to be debated (notice that I'm not using the word "complaining", because I understand it's not so easy for Drp either, so I don't wish to whine about anything).

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Seems like you're mostly basing your argument on the fact that things are returning to the old way. Why is this a good thing again?

To fix a problem.. You need to start from the beginning =)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

Now, if the other solution is good I will probably be happy, but I think this is a very important, central issue and it needed to be debated (notice that I'm not using the word "complaining", because I understand it's not so easy for Drp either, so I don't wish to whine about anything).

Past changes were so that things would run more smoothly, just because they have temporarily gone back to prior schedules/rules doesn't mean they wont run.

Things will be improved with better schedules/rules when it's possible. In the meantime VIP's still have their impromput's, non-VIP's have gamedays and everyone has the EU server.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Of course, I understand there will be changes and I'm happy about that. I'm just disappointed we had to go into this temporary state.

Why am I still arguing about this anyway, I think I've covered what I care about :p

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Relying on Gamedays to egt my map uploaded onto the server is bull. From past knowledge about Gamedays, the chances of me gettign my map submitted in time is unlikely. I cannot donate because I don't have a credit card or a paypal or anything. I have cash. And I'm not going to mail that out. So essentially you're preventing anyone under the age of 16 (and/or people who have parents who won't cosign anything) from testing their maps.

Good plan.

You can submit a map to gameday at any time that the thread is accepting submissions. Like now. But you're not submitting your map. I don't see what your point is here at all.

Also, I've learned that Gamedays aren't as productive as Impromptus. Sure, you get a crowd for the majority of the game. But many of them are simply playing the maps and not giving feedback. In an impromptu, people tend to give more feedback. Why? Hell if I know. It just happens like that.

I see it as the exact opposite. I rarely see feedback out of impromptu testing, but often see feedback from gamedays.

The server is terrible. Why would I donate to keep a terrible server up and running? Don't just get a new server fromt he same guys. Change hosts so we get a good server.

Servers aren't free, as you've said. These servers just happen to be cheaper. If you want a better server, donate. It's not like this money isn't going anywhere. If drp had the money he'd upgrade the damn server so it wouldn't be so shitty.

Check your facts.

Nov 14, 2009
Hmmmmm.
I'l see if I can start donating asap. What is the price for 3 months?

On another topic, my avatar is now better than any redmond or blutarchs: It is both!

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007