Version Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
No, for me the map is done, all i need is feedback :/
In that case, your not making your map, you're making the map people are telling you to do. That's usually a sure way to make your work mediocre from a lack of vision on your part.

You need to develop a critical view of your work. ask yourself exactly what is it you're trying to achieve and where are your shortcomings. Nothing is ever perfect, you'll surely find something to improve on. Maybe your creative process is not quite there yet but it's something you should actively work towards.

and I mean that in the nicest possible way, no disrespect intended. just some advices to think about

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
In that case, your not making your map, you're making the map people are telling you to do. That's usually a sure way to make your work mediocre from a lack of vision on your part.

You need to develop a critical view of your work. ask yourself exactly what is it you're trying to achieve and where are your shortcomings. Nothing is ever perfect, you'll surely find something to improve on. Maybe your creative process is not quite there yet but it's something you should actively work towards.

and I mean that in the nicest possible way, no disrespect intended. just some advices to think about
I need feedbak, my opinion sucks so i need feeback, this map is not make it for me, is for people, so i need people opinion ...

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Just don't feel rushed. The content pack for the community update hasn't even been published yet. Feel free to take your time. As for map iterations, continue the alpha stages until you feel like more people are comfortable with the layout of your map. Once more people are comfortable, feel free to move into beta and start prettying up the map like what Yrr said.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Just don't feel rushed. The content pack for the community update hasn't even been published yet. Feel free to take your time. As for map iterations, continue the alpha stages until you feel like more people are comfortable with the layout of your map. Once more people are comfortable, feel free to move into beta and start prettying up the map like what Yrr said.
OK, but i need FEEDBACK!!! so, thats the problems...

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Visit http://feedback.tf2maps.net/map/arena_ixem_a8/ and click "view demos". From there you can download a .DEM file of the match and place it in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf" "folder. Launch tf2, open the console, and type "playdemo (dem file name here)". Watch the game from other people's perspectives, and fly around to see how the combat plays out. From there you may get a better perspective of what the map feels like from a player's point of view. I know you read the general feedback, but this can definitely help (a lot of people said things in my playtests that I never would have thought, and they weren't in the general feedback.)

Also, I know you saw Egan's video about your map, but you should also see the other videos of his. He explains very well what makes layouts boring or not fun to play on, and what makes them fun and enjoyable. Some of those things may apply to your map.

If you want, I can make a video about it as well.

Sep 7, 2012
There's really no need to be in such a hurry. I've been working on my most recent map on and off for the past 3 years, and still haven't made a public release. Making something you're satisfied with is more important than releasing something for the sake of public acknowledgement.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
I don't mean any disrespect by this, but if you think your opinion sucks, your map won't ever make it. As a creator you have to learn to take control of your map development and use feedback to help you when you get stuck. If you have to rely 100% on feedback, something's wrong. To get inspiraton, you can look at your favorite maps and try to mimic the best parts of those maps while trying to make something different at the same time. But don't get discouraged because any type of art, including map making, takes time and work.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
I find being able to just look at my map and tell which areas will have "major" issues sort of came along down the road. And I still haven't mastered the ability of know what works and what doesn't! Anyways, the best way to learn how to determine what's good and what's not-so-good will really come from looking at your past pieces, and seeing what worked and what nobody liked. Of course that is going off of other people's feedback, but think of it like this: When you are knew to mapmaking, learning souly from other players' feedback is not bad. It's people helping you become better. However you will soon gradually start noticing your strengths and weaknesses all by yourself, and maybe at some point; it will just click! How I figured this out was looking at what people liked and disliked from my previous maps, and trying my best to incorporate that into my newer maps. If you feel pressured that you need to learn fast or that you need to be as good as others right away, don't feel that way. Go at your own pace. Trust me, I've felt pressure like that before; feeling like I need to best everyone around me. It's not a good feeling, and it's not the best way to challenge yourself and try and improve. I've been mapping for over a year and I still am not even that good :p Just try not to rush things, and go by your own pace.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
I have a fair amount of freetime (since school ends next week, I have even more). If you get stressed/bored, close Hammer and go play TF2 or something. I do this to keep myself motivated to work on Bottleneck A4 for nearly 3 weeks now.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
I just need feeback, its no hard to understand, just give me feedback!!!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010

Stop asking for feedback.
Start asking questions about what people think about certain parts of your map. Provide pictures. For example, you could ask "What do you guys think about this area?"

People want to help, you just have to let them.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Stop asking for feedback.
Start asking questions about what people think about certain parts of your map. Provide pictures. For example, you could ask "What do you guys think about this area?"

People want to help, you just have to let them.
That is feedback...

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
And yet every time I've tried to give you feedback on your map, you've completely ignored it and blown it back in my face. People will be more willing to provide feedback if you listen to them, rather than screaming at them. Like you did to me. On multiple occasions.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
And yet every time I've tried to give you feedback on your map, you've completely ignored it and blown it back in my face. People will be more willing to provide feedback if you listen to them, rather than screaming at them. Like you did to me. On multiple occasions.
In the last version i made what you said...

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
In the last version i made what you said...
After several iterations in which everyone kept telling you the same thing, because you refused to listen to the (perfectly valid) feedback you received, because you dismissed it all as being useless. It's fine to disagree with feedback, but you were just completely ignoring it without giving it a second thought. And now you're complaining about not receiving feedback. Do you understand that some people might get frustrated at that attitude?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
After several iterations in which everyone kept telling you the same thing, because you refused to listen to the (perfectly valid) feedback you received, because you dismissed it all as being useless. It's fine to disagree with feedback, but you were just completely ignoring it without giving it a second thought. And now you're complaining about not receiving feedback. Do you understand that some people might get frustrated at that attitude?

To add: General Rule of thumb, if you're going to dismiss feedback, be ready to explain why. "It's useless" is rarely the answer.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
I no ignore feedback, the only feeback i ginore was make wall around the map, cause was hard to male but finally did it....

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I no ignore feedback, the only feeback i ginore was make wall around the map, cause was hard to male but finally did it....
It's hard to tell what you've done exactly because you don't include any information in your changelogs. But judging by the attitude you've been giving me and other members in the community, it feels like you're ignoring all feedback, even if you're not really.

Here's a quote from a discussion we had a while ago, which I feel illustrates my point well:

12:19 - TMB: you see, i only recived 10 comments, and all comments were stupid, just see them: http://feedback.tf2maps.net/map/arena_ixem_a6/

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
It's hard to tell what you've done exactly because you don't include any information in your changelogs. But judging by the attitude you've been giving me and other members in the community, it feels like you're ignoring all feedback, even if you're not really.

Here's a quote from a discussion we had a while ago, which I feel illustrates my point well:

12:19 - TMB: you see, i only recived 10 comments, and all comments were stupid, just see them: http://feedback.tf2maps.net/map/arena_ixem_a6/
How people keep this things?

Status
Not open for further replies.