Valve's subtle jokes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tapp, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was browsing through the left4dead models when I noticed this
    [​IMG]
    Look familiar? It was off the boat from death toll
    [​IMG]
    So, what kind of weird little easter eggs do you love finding in valve games. From the lost reference in episode 2 (see here) to the not-so-subtle jokes in the left4dead posters, valve sure likes rewarding explorers. And of course, you've got valve's habit of porting stuff between games. Like that jarate is the boomer bile effect, and the chargin targe is the charger.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    That boat actually looks very tf2 themed.

3. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    The Dark carnival Poster has the Blood Harvest poster hidden behind it. Also there's a yellow crane on that boat that looks familiar but I can't really see right now, have to get a close up of it.

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    The shading looks darker then the one in TF2. I lol'd anyway.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldn't have necasserily said it was an easter egg, but recycling materials they've already produced to cut down on production costs.

In the last scene of HL2 Ep2 they made several Lost references in "around the corner detail areas" as a lot of the Valve team were Lost fans, and i believe one of them worked as a Sound engineer on Lost or something, i can't quite remember the details.

6. cyked

cyked L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I remember when I first saw the lost stuff and I thought Ep 3 was gonna be a collaboration with Valve and ABC.

I really like finding games "subtle jokes" which show off the developers interests and stuff.

7. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  8. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Of course, the gnome throughout the games they've made, especially it's nice appearance in L4D2 and it's ANNOYING SCREEN BLOCKING ABILITY

9. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    It's not an easter egg, Valve loves reusing assets and just reskinning them. Our lovely TF2 mining cart is in Ep2. Easier to reskin it than make a new model.

10. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    either way if it was intended to be an easter egg or not, its still fun to be able to notice all the small things :p

11. Nerdbot

Nerdbot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    For the longest time I had no clue where the road barrier props in Badwater were.

I recently found out they're just straightup HL2 models; not even reskinned. It's not like they stand out or look unnatural, it's just sorta surprising.

I also recently found out that the WEAR YOUR RESPIRATOR sign in front of the vent systems in Turbine is an HL2 texture, but that's a community map so it's a bit different. Either way, I get a kick out of finding the reused materials and stuff. I know why it's done and I have no issues with it, but it's sort of neat to say "oh hey, I know that model".