Valve should have waited with Badwater Basin

Vicenti

L2: Junior Member
Jun 22, 2008
In the second one, I've circled where two brush faces overlap - during gameplay, it flickers between one wood texture and a different wood texture - oriented 90 degrees from the first.

Totally not cool.

In the other picture is a horrible, evil place for an explosion-jumper to hide. The green line is where the playerclip ends - you can jump up on the roof, but you can only move forward and backward. The blue circle shows you weren't meant to be up here - the geometry just -stops-.

Sad day. :(

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That wood texture is the texture of the wooden truss's on the track model. I had this problem on my map, and "transformed" them 0.1 unit down. Fixed. Would have thought Valve might have bothered to do the same, but i guess they wern't planning to be so ridiculed by the mapping community.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
All visual problems aside, I'm still REALLY enjoying this map. It's about three times as fun as Gold Rush. If you were to ask me which was the broken map, I'd say Gold Rush, then provide a link to the TF2 weekly stats showing just how little blue wins.

I'd like to see them adjust Gold Rush first, because there are about three hangups in the map where Blu needs a little help pushing through.

Probably my biggest concern in Bad Water Basin is that there is a collision problem in one of the doorways, near the Blu's second spawn point. You kind of get hung up on the collision while going through a perfectly open doorway. I always get freaked out and think that I brushed up against a spy, and I spend a second spinning around and shooting. This would be pretty high on my "to fix" list. The visual problems do diminish the quality of the map a bit, but they don't hurt the gameplay as much.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Another bug that makes me think "WTF were they doing?" is that you can actually build on the floorplate in the BLU base. That's just amazing.

But yeah, I agree that the map is a hell of a lot of fun regardless, it just saddens me to see all this gameplay planning not being done justice.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
:( took a look at the decompiled version...the explosion isnt broken, there IS no explosion, it just doesn't exist!

I think my heart is broken

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I think this map is mainly just more proof of the phrase "Quality over quantity"

Anyway, the last point is possible to cap, but only on unbalanced teams. its not as bad as gold rush though, you have at least some moral of hope to get to the second last cap point.

And personally, I think the maps should have different explosions, but this one does feel abit... lacklustre. With goldrush, you feel you've actually done some damage with it, on Badwater, it just feels like... "Okay was that all we needed to do?"

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I think Badwater plays great, except for the final cap, which is impossible. And all you get as a reward for completing an impossible task is a lack-luster explosion.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
serious guys, i dont mind that there isn't a explosion, that fire that comes up is cool 2 for me

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
:( took a look at the decompiled version...the explosion isnt broken, there IS no explosion, it just doesn't exist!

I think my heart is broken

Huh? I can swear that I've seen an explosion. Kinda like this, just a bit less...extreme.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I think the only reason we're underwhelmed by Bad Water Basin's explosion is because the explosion in Gold Rush is so danged cool. But I would like to see them kick Bad Water's explosion up a notch. It's no requirement for me to enjoy the map, though.

The last point may be pretty hard to get to, but I think that's kind of appropriate for the last point in the map. I wouldn't mind it being tweaked a little. All the points before provide a nice, even challenge.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
This one makes me facepalm every time I'm in blue spawn:
pl_badwater0000.jpg

Note the "support" beams in the upper left.

Dec 25, 2007
Joining the fun!

Badwindows Basin

Badwiring Basin Where does the conduit go?

Badwiring Basin (2)

Badclipping Basin You get stuck hanging from your head if you ride the cart in here.

Badlighting Basin

And, of course, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXxBROp7ec

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
As for the conduits, I've seen actual conduits going up on the outside of a wall for a short distance, then going into the wall for some reason. I agree that it looks stupid either way, though.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
i think the first one is done on purpose, so that they didn't have to cut the building up into multiple brushes.. that random catwalk would stop people looking up and noticing this and there's no reason for people to be where that screenshot was taken. I've actually done this in my map. (though on buildings far out of reach).

The second one is rediculous though.