***Unofficial 72 hours mapping mini contest***

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
What's often forgotten is that detail is gameplay in Team Fortress 2. Giving buildings duller textures, for example, makes them seem less useful than buildings with brighter textures, forcing players in the right direction.

TerabyteST

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 18, 2009
Well surely it helps to be detailed, right? Like the difference between an orange map and one with moderate detail (not necessarilly good detail vs. spectacular detail).

It really shouldn't, but yes, the best looking it is the better. But still, people should vote based on their gameplay experience only. Not aesthetics.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It really shouldn't, but yes, the best looking it is the better. But still, people should vote based on their gameplay experience only. Not aesthetics.

I beg to differ. You can't mandate that users only examine gameplay, because aesthetics will be the majority of what they think about later.

Taffy

L1: Registered
May 25, 2010
you need detail to some extent so that people can tell the differance between door, floor and walls, or the red team side of the map and the blue team... but i dont plan to use much more that this... im rubbish at detailing anyway though

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
I beg to differ. You can't mandate that users only examine gameplay, because aesthetics will be the majority of what they think about later.

Detail serves the sole purpose of providing eye candy - if you put hazard strips around a capture point that's not detail because it serves a useful gameplay purpose. If you add red/blue arrows indicating direction that's not detail because it serves a similar purpose the hazard strip did.

Detail would be something like a smoke stack on a roof, but even then if it drew the player's attention towards and important gameplay space (something like 'This way to the middle cap point!') it could be argued that it's not detail either.

I think "aesthetics will be the majority of what they think about later." is a pretty short-sighted statement to make, considering probably everyone who participates in this contest are in it for the gameplay primarily.

TerabyteST

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 18, 2009
Detail serves the sole purpose of providing eye candy - if you put hazard strips around a capture point that's not detail because it serves a useful gameplay purpose. If you add red/blue arrows indicating direction that's not detail because it serves a similar purpose the hazard strip did.

Detail would be something like a smoke stack on a roof, but even then if it drew the player's attention towards and important gameplay space (something like 'This way to the middle cap point!') it could be argued that it's not detail either.

I think "aesthetics will be the majority of what they think about later." is a pretty short-sighted statement to make, considering probably everyone who participates in this contest are in it for the gameplay primarily.

This is exactly the point of the contest. Details aimed to gameplay are important.

Aug 10, 2009
Maybe later you guys will get a chance to peek. Just kidding, livestream is a joke on my computer :S It says "you have serious hardware problems", even though I don't and I think it has something to do with my resolution, but I'm just making a picture of it anyways.

Nov 14, 2009
I love how so many people are making new gamemodes for this contest!
Me, Im going plain straigt arena.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
aww dang... this thing's happening now?

well g'luck to you guys.